Companion randomly dieing to "Kill Target (0 Damage)"

Delta_V

So, today I was soloing Czerka Corporate Labs on SM for the weekly mission on my Sentinel. I got to the first boss, and right as I started the fight (after making sure Doc was next to me and not stuck up on the platform above me), Doc just drops dead. In the chat window it said something like "Doc defeated by Sibbel with Kill Target (0 Damage)".

Now, I've soloed this FP before w/ Doc w/out any issues. At first I thought it must have been a bug related to starting the fight, but after returning to the medcenter (where Doc died again due to the Fall Damage bug that randomly plagues companions), the exact same thing happened as I was running back to the boss. Doc just fell over dead when there were no enemies in sight, and again, it said "Doc defeated by Sibbel with Kill Target (0 Damage)". So the second time, it was clearly not related to combat.

This is the first I've experienced this bug, so I'm not sure if it's confined to instances, or just to that specific flashpoint, or if it can happen anywhere.

Has anyone else experienced this bug? I'm familiar with the "Companion defeated by Fall Damage (0 Damage)" bug from teleporting (QT, returning to medcenter, etc), but at leas that one can only occur out of combat. This seems potentially more gamebreaking (if you're companion randomly dies while in combat, you could be screwed).

• Dev Post

Hi Delta_V,

This death may be tied to the Quick Travel one and is just an edge case of that. We are still working on a fix for it, and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread in the meantime to see if it's an isolated incident. Thanks for your thorough report.

I've solo'd Czerka Corporate Labs on SM twice so far (on my Shadow and my Powertech), both times my Companion died right away when I engaged the first boss. Other than the Quick Travel bug, I don't remember ever having that problem else where.

I've solo'd Czerka Corporate Labs on SM twice so far (on my Shadow and my Powertech), both times my Companion died right away when I engaged the first boss. Other than the Quick Travel bug, I don't remember ever having that problem else where.

That happened because your companion didn't jump down with you and got stuck on the floor above. Thus, once you began the fight an automatic /stuck was initiated for your companion and since you were in combat it resulted in the companion's death.

Hi Delta_V,

This death may be tied to the Quick Travel one and is just an edge case of that. We are still working on a fix for it, and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread in the meantime to see if it's an isolated incident. Thanks for your thorough report.

As for this on going bug, I don't know if this is relevant or not to fixing it, but I have noticed that the game doesn't seem to consider it a "true death" because if you mount and then dismount your companion is summoned with you again as if they hadn't died at all (meaning you don't have to rez them or dismiss and summon again, and they retain all of their buffs and stacks). I don't know if this is a result of you guys trying to fix it and not quite managing or simply another evidence that it is a bug but I thought it worth mentioning none the less.

That happened because your companion didn't jump down with you and got stuck on the floor above. Thus, once you began the fight an automatic /stuck was initiated for your companion and since you were in combat it resulted in the companion's death.

When this happened to me, I had made sure that Doc was in fact next to me before starting the fight, and not up on the floor above. And the second time it happened, I was just running down the hallway on my way back to the boss when Doc just fell over dead.

Possibly related bug: If I Quick Travel out of the instance for the one instanced Daily mission in CZ-198, where you kill the tentacle thing, my companion will die.

When this happened to me, I had made sure that Doc was in fact next to me before starting the fight, and not up on the floor above. And the second time it happened, I was just running down the hallway on my way back to the boss when Doc just fell over dead.

You might notice if you run around that Doc doesn't move. He's not actually standing beside you, it seems, he's stuck in the floor or it's some sort of display bug. As others have noted, you probably need to dismiss and resummon him (easiest by turning Rocket Boost on and off quickly) for him to properly appear on the floor.

It's not isolated Amber, happens to me all the time :)

Edited by Telanis

As for this on going bug, I don't know if this is relevant or not to fixing it, but I have noticed that the game doesn't seem to consider it a "true death" because if you mount and then dismount your companion is summoned with you again as if they hadn't died at all (meaning you don't have to rez them or dismiss and summon again, and they retain all of their buffs and stacks). I don't know if this is a result of you guys trying to fix it and not quite managing or simply another evidence that it is a bug but I thought it worth mentioning none the less.

No, your companions always come back alive if you mount/dismount no matter how they die (unless you move out of range before mounting and they despawn/desummon).

Edited by Telanis

Possibly related bug: If I Quick Travel out of the instance for the one instanced Daily mission in CZ-198, where you kill the tentacle thing, my companion will die.

You might notice if you run around that Doc doesn't move. He's not actually standing beside you, it seems, he's stuck in the floor or it's some sort of display bug. As others have noted, you probably need to dismiss and resummon him (easiest by turning Rocket Boost on and off quickly) for him to properly appear on the floor.

It's not isolated Amber, happens to me all the time :)

The companions dying after Quick Travel gives a different message, something like "Doc defeated by Player X's Companion with Take Fall Damage (0 Damage)", whereas the bug I encountered gave "Doc defeated by Player X with Kill Target (0 Damage)"

The second time it happened, Doc *was* following me when he randomly died.

I'm fairly confident that the first time my companion was next to me when I engaged the boss. And i'm 100% sure for the second time, I even had switched companion after going down.

Any time that my companion dies, I just use rocket boost and my companion comes back. It's not just for that specific type of companion death.