The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech PvE Tanking, help?

VeOfVanaheim

I'm a powertech tank for PvE. I currently run with 40.3k hp and 20.73 def chance, 40.23 sheild chance and 32% absorb.

My guild is trying to clear NiM dread guard and I seem to be taking a lot more damage than the jugg tank in our group.

I do understand that they will take less damage as they have virtually the same, or higher, straight damage reduction than we do and they also have quite a few more cooldowns we do, that arn't adrenals and such.

Also it was usually only the first 3min or so of the fight, we can only manage to take down heriod then we have issues afterwards, working on that.

I feel as though we should be somewhere close to each other in damage and it's a pretty significant difference, almost 800 damage taken per second difference on average over ~10 fights. Granted on most of these I was focusing on using my cooldowns for lightning fields it still seems as though we're taking a lot more damage than we should be.

Is there something that i'm doing wrong that I need to correct? Is my gear off to the point that it would cause that much of a damage taken difference? Do we just need more armor rating, like we had pre 2.0?

Help me out here, I want to clear this stuff with my guild and I want to make sure that I'm not the one causing issues.

Your defense is too high absorb too low

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/609191ab-1314-4b70-8c72-9753abb213b2

That is an ask Mr. Robot profile Dipstick put together for a BIS vanguard. The difference I see as I said is that his absorb is 40.26 and yours is 32. Bringing your absorb up will make the incoming dmg much more smooth. I'd assume you are getting spiked pretty hard right now.

Also keep in mind for TFB b/c of incoming damage types defense has almost no value. You can honestly drop your D to 0 for TFB. This is not true for SNV, defense is helpful there.

Check the tanking forums very helpful people there .http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=645948

That is a good place to start.

Edited by wetslampigduex

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a powertech tank for PvE. I currently run with 40.3k hp and 20.73 def chance, 40.23 sheild chance and 32% absorb.

My guild is trying to clear NiM dread guard and I seem to be taking a lot more damage than the jugg tank in our group.

I do understand that they will take less damage as they have virtually the same, or higher, straight damage reduction than we do and they also have quite a few more cooldowns we do, that arn't adrenals and such.

Also it was usually only the first 3min or so of the fight, we can only manage to take down heriod then we have issues afterwards, working on that.

I feel as though we should be somewhere close to each other in damage and it's a pretty significant difference, almost 800 damage taken per second difference on average over ~10 fights. Granted on most of these I was focusing on using my cooldowns for lightning fields it still seems as though we're taking a lot more damage than we should be.

Is there something that i'm doing wrong that I need to correct? Is my gear off to the point that it would cause that much of a damage taken difference? Do we just need more armor rating, like we had pre 2.0?

Help me out here, I want to clear this stuff with my guild and I want to make sure that I'm not the one causing issues.

U ever tried to start with the Juggs usual target? I cant remember the name atm but the Asa does a lot more dmg than the Marodeur.

At the first time I wondered about the same like you but as longer the fight goes, your taken damage will equalize.

Not sure what your gear is, but if the jugg tank is mitigation focused he will take less than you. in about 50% 75's I'm sitting around 37.5k health with adrenal. The more health you have the less damage youll mitigate. I would suggest switching out some B mods or high endurance enhancements for unlettered and bulwark/bastion