Today's Maintenance and In-Game Cartel Coin Purchasing

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

I know we had quite a bit of down time today and now that we are back up you will notice our in-game Cartel Coin purchase feature is not live. I wanted to explain a bit about what happened now that the dust has settled, thank you all for your patience today!

During our maintenance when we were releasing Game Update 2.3.2, we discovered a couple of bugs related to the in-game purchasing system. The worst among them was an issue which could have affected a significant number of our players where even though they made a prior purchase, it was not being recognized towards their 50% off. Meaning that many of our subscribers who should have been able to jump right in and grab their next purchase in game for 50% off, couldn't.

We worked to try to resolve that issue, among others, as fast as we could. Unfortunately, it became clear that there was no quick fix we could put in place and the system would need to be disabled. However, disabling a system is not a fast process either. It is the discovery of some issues, the attempt to fix it, and then the decision to disable the feature which made our maintenance take as long as it did.

Along with that, and I know this is the last thing anyone wants to hear right now, we will be having another maintenance early tomorrow morning. The reason for this maintenance is in part to remove the banner from the Cartel Market which announces in-game Cartel Coin purchase is available. Unfortunately, that is a change which will require us to patch the game.

The last thing of note that I have is that in very, very rare circumstances, some of you may actually still be able to use the in-game Cartel Coin purchase feature. If the feature is working, it will be fully disabled for you as well after our maintenance tomorrow. If you happen to be one of those players who discovered this and used it, don’t worry. It shouldn't mess anything up.

I thank all of you again for your extreme patience today while we worked through these issues. Hopefully this post explains a bit about what happened today.

-eric

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is , downtime was from 12:00 - 22:00h during prime time in Europe (central european time - cet).

I understand reason for downtime but I really hope you give something to European players , US players may not be affected much but EU lost the whole day, basically one day of sub time.

Edited by Halabit

Hey folks,

I know we had quite a bit of down time today and now that we are back up you will notice our in-game Cartel Coin purchase feature is not live. I wanted to explain a bit about what happened now that the dust has settled, thank you all for your patience today!

During our maintenance when we were releasing Game Update 2.3.2, we discovered a couple of bugs related to the in-game purchasing system. The worst among them was an issue which could have affected a significant number of our players where even though they made a prior purchase, it was not being recognized towards their 50% off. Meaning that many of our subscribers who should have been able to jump right in and grab their next purchase in game for 50% off, couldn't.

We worked to try to resolve that issue, among others, as fast as we could. Unfortunately, it became clear that there was no quick fix we could put in place and the system would need to be disabled. However, disabling a system is not a fast process either. It is the discovery of some issues, the attempt to fix it, and then the decision to disable the feature which made our maintenance take as long as it did.

Along with that, and I know this is the last thing anyone wants to hear right now, we will be having another maintenance early tomorrow morning. The reason for this maintenance is in part to remove the banner from the Cartel Market which announces in-game Cartel Coin purchase is available. Unfortunately, that is a change which will require us to patch the game.

The last thing of note that I have is that in very, very rare circumstances, some of you may actually still be able to use the in-game Cartel Coin purchase feature. If the feature is working, it will be fully disabled for you as well after our maintenance tomorrow. If you happen to be one of those players who discovered this and used it, don’t worry. It shouldn't mess anything up.

I thank all of you again for your extreme patience today while we worked through these issues. Hopefully this post explains a bit about what happened today.

-eric

Nothing a few cartel coins thrown everyone's way won't fix.

Hey folks,

-eric

Much appreciated Eric. WOrking in the networking field myself, I know how often an issue that seems simple ends up being horribly complicated to fix, how decisions often are made hours into a breakfix to roll back instead, and how a unified patch can take time to isolate and pull individual elements out of it to disable.

Keep up the good work! I also believe that a small CC credit isn't that far off the mark. The nice thing about CC is you don't have to do it in big chunks. 100 or 200 would make allot of peeps happy.

Thanks for the information but even as a user of the cartel market and often purchasing CC, This feature is not something that I would even find remotely useful considering the plethora of other issues that need addressing in game. It's easy to alt-tab to the purchase screen especially after purchasing a desktop specifically suited to play Star Wars after some old patches included fps and lag problems on a laptop that had worked fine since launch. But I digress, keep up the good work but maybe post information like this during downtime as you will still get the ragers but undoubtedly more people that would find the information useful and be grateful for it. Edited by -Sullster-

It may not affect you personally but it could affect some others so it is good that they fixed it for those that use the shop. It would have been a problem for them and I am glad that they discovered it and tried to fix it.

This. As inconvenient as it is for most people, at least BW has someone on here right after explaining what went wrong and why they had so much downtime. I also don't think there's anything wrong with them spending so much time trying to fix a problem that could have a large affect on some players.

Unfortunately for BW even if they had just said **** it lets just not try to fix it right now people would've also complained that the patch broke the game. I don't necessarily agree with every move BW makes but this is one of those cases where I don't think they necessarily deserve complaints. There was an issue, they tried their hardest to fix it. Sucks that it takes up playing time but at least they're trying to fix problems.

Why not allow all subscribers the option to purchase CC with 50% off? Why restrict it to only those who've purchased coins before? Wouldn't you want just about everyone to purchase coins instead of discouraging a part of your already paying playerbase?

Hey folks,

-eric

Updating the "system alerts" with another maintenance scheduled in the morning would probably be a good thing. Don't ya think? Seeing right now it says nothing about more maintenance and if we didn't look at this thread we wouldn't know about it.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for letting us know what was going on. Although I am curious why that information couldn't be shared with us earlier in the day? I saw there is a 100+ page thread where you are giving tauntaun fawns out-so obviously you had the ability to communicate with us. Why treat this as some sort of state secret??? And why is that banner thing always a mess? I recall when RothC launched you guys had troubles with it back then too, I'd say you guys should consider abandoning the banner altogether.

Also, yeah, when i clicked the apparently non functional banner on the CM, it just brought me to the homepage, where I was once again reminded that the Chevin event was the only screenshot worthy thing BW has done in the last year. Over a year actually.

-Q

Well thank you for the information i guess. Next time you guys over there feel the need to break the game over a feature nobody except EA needs yet alone wants, just do it on a Tuesday instead of a Wednesday. I can accept extended downtime on patchday, ruining our raidnight a day later for the *** cartel market just blows.

Well thank you for the information i guess. Next time you guys over there feel the need to break the game over a feature nobody except EA needs yet alone wants, just do it on a Tuesday instead of a Wednesday. I can accept extended downtime on patchday, ruining our raidnight a day later for the *** cartel market just blows.

^^ This.

I'm not one usually to complain but leaving for work, having the game down for maintenance, return, have a shower and dinner, turn on my PC and still(!!!) have the game down for a feature I couldn't care less about blows. And now, yet another patch tomorrow.

Stellar job, Bioware. Absolutely stellar. Your QA staff are to be congratulated for yet another perfect frack up. Always makes me feel warm inside, whenever you go "guinea pig mode" on us.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

• Dev Post
Hi Eric,

Thanks for letting us know what was going on. Although I am curious why that information couldn't be shared with us earlier in the day? I saw there is a 100+ page thread where you are giving tauntaun fawns out-so obviously you had the ability to communicate with us. Why treat this as some sort of state secret??? And why is that banner thing always a mess? I recall when RothC launched you guys had troubles with it back then too, I'd say you guys should consider abandoning the banner altogether.

Also, yeah, when i clicked the apparently non functional banner on the CM, it just brought me to the homepage, where I was once again reminded that the Chevin event was the only screenshot worthy thing BW has done in the last year. Over a year actually.

-Q

Good question! The reason is that throughout the day, although we knew there were issues with the In-game CC purchase, we were still hammering down what they were and how to address them. Unfortunately, around the time we had all of that locked down is when we had to bring the site into maintenance to begin fixing the issue. That made it impossible for me to message it out on the forums.

At most I could have posted that we were looking into various issues with the in-game purchasing, but I try not to post too much unless I have details to share. Typically vague answers aren't received too well as they aren't very good answers.

-eric

At most I could have posted that we were looking into various issues with the in-game purchasing, but I try not to post too much unless I have details to share. Typically vague answers aren't received too well as they aren't very good answers.

-eric

While that may be true, it's still better than "Stuff is down, no ETA" for....9+ hours I think it was, in the end?

Most of us guessed it was a CM issue, and a lot of us are still bloody unhappy about that...But PR wasn't exactly good on this, I'll be bluntly honest.

Problem is , downtime was from 12:00 - 22:00h during prime time in Europe (central european time - cet).

I understand reason for downtime but I really hope you give something to European players , US players may not be affected much but EU lost the whole day, basically one day of sub time.

So you are asking them to give you back $0.49 USD? That's something to be worked up over.

Good question! The reason is that throughout the day, although we knew there were issues with the In-game CC purchase, we were still hammering down what they were and how to address them. Unfortunately, around the time we had all of that locked down is when we had to bring the site into maintenance to begin fixing the issue. That made it impossible for me to message it out on the forums.

-eric

Looks like my World Domination has gone down the drain.I could of had all the bacon:eek:

-eric

Thanks again for responding Eric,

Access to the site for me has been somewhat touch and go for most of the morning and early afternoon, many times i stumble into a "maintenance" window. I bet its the same for many people. I for one would have appreciated knowing, even if it had no impact on when I'd be able to play, it's nice to know you guys have at least some kind of idea how to fix it. But as evidenced by the many posts others have made about the nature of the problem, it probably wouldn't have gone over too well to know it was a CM bug. Many of the forum complaints seem to roll their dislike of the CM into more ammunition against everything you do in this neverending war against profit. It does rankle a bit to know this is why it's been down longer than anticipated, but if the CC purchase link wasn't working properly, I'd bet there would be a serious security issue for our personal info-so I am glad you took it down in lieu of just throwing a quick fix at it.

I guess if you know everyone is gonna complain it's better to manage your PR time after the fix, rather than before the fix is done.

I appreciate the response nonetheless-first time i ever got one!

-Q

P.s. now how bout some new screenies on the main page!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.