The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Has anyone parsed the PT yet is full min / maxed top teir PVE gear?

Individual

KBN, could you be more specific for when your off-taunt is a clutch ability? Is it for when things aren't going well? Or is your team using it proactively or to get around specific mechanics (like Incinerate Armor in EC)?

It's quite rare that we use it to proactively cheese something. Examples off the top of my head:

• Xuvvas (buys you 6 seconds off the generator)
  • Mail Droids in Titan (pull them off the healer when your tanks were to busy to notice)
  • Hold both Green adds in Oasis; off-tank any of the spots in an emergency
  • Help the tanks hold the randomly-agroing adds in Olok
  • Take a "The End" if killing Sunder last (in HM) to spare a tank
  • Pull the Jealous Male back into position if the off-tank loses agro
  • Pull Kel'sara's adds off the healer if the tanks are being fail (VERY HELPFUL)
  • Take a Force Leech if a tank is dead
  • Pull a Regulator off of a healer in the second phase
  • Take every Scream in the second phase to allow solo-tanking in an emergency

Most of the time, off-taunt is an emergency ability. You generally only use it if someone else has screwed something up. It's helpful during progression though. People don't always execute perfectly, and even when they execute perfectly to the best of their knowledge, they don't always know the best way to do things yet. A judiciously applied off-taunt can be unbelievably helpful in many situations. TfB alone makes it worthwhile (anything saving a wipe on a boss which runs over 10 minutes is a hugely valuable tool). Off-taunt is also a very easy tool with which to cause horrific mayhem. It needs to be used very carefully and with clear callouts.

With all that said, my group doesn't *normally* run with an off-taunt. We usually have two gunslingers, a commando and a sentinel for our DPS comp. We have had the sentinel on her vanguard (in nightmare mode) from time to time, and obviously that brings an off-taunt, and my guild's second nightmare team runs a shadow dps.

It's quite rare that we use it to proactively cheese something. Examples off the top of my head:

• Xuvvas (buys you 6 seconds off the generator)
  • Mail Droids in Titan (pull them off the healer when your tanks were to busy to notice)
  • Hold both Green adds in Oasis; off-tank any of the spots in an emergency
  • Help the tanks hold the randomly-agroing adds in Olok
  • Take a "The End" if killing Sunder last (in HM) to spare a tank
  • Pull the Jealous Male back into position if the off-tank loses agro
  • Pull Kel'sara's adds off the healer if the tanks are being fail (VERY HELPFUL)
  • Take a Force Leech if a tank is dead
  • Pull a Regulator off of a healer in the second phase
  • Take every Scream in the second phase to allow solo-tanking in an emergency

Most of the time, off-taunt is an emergency ability. You generally only use it if someone else has screwed something up. It's helpful during progression though. People don't always execute perfectly, and even when they execute perfectly to the best of their knowledge, they don't always know the best way to do things yet. A judiciously applied off-taunt can be unbelievably helpful in many situations. TfB alone makes it worthwhile (anything saving a wipe on a boss which runs over 10 minutes is a hugely valuable tool). Off-taunt is also a very easy tool with which to cause horrific mayhem. It needs to be used very carefully and with clear callouts.

With all that said, my group doesn't *normally* run with an off-taunt. We usually have two gunslingers, a commando and a sentinel for our DPS comp. We have had the sentinel on her vanguard (in nightmare mode) from time to time, and obviously that brings an off-taunt, and my guild's second nightmare team runs a shadow dps.

I have also used taunt to pull the adds on Titan6 toward the boss in order to flamethrower the add + boss :D

I have parsed VG/Assault (NOT in min/max) but in SAME gear from live.

I typed an extensive post covering my nearly 5 hours of parsing yesterday, only to have it lost when I hit "submit replay". :mad:

the DPS "buff" for Pyro/Assault is MINIMAL...~50-80 DPS on AVERAGE. all depending on RNG (see some of my other posts concerning this. i.e. Riot Augs).

AP/TD ammo/heat increase makes it non-viable in sustained DPS rotations without issues.

DPS increase comes from IM/IR heat decrease, thus being able to sustain it in a working rotation.

I would love to see some metrics on VG/PT DPS...

My extensive testing shows minimal DPS increase in PvE. Assault/Pyro spec only.

(I did not test Tactics/AP. I do not care for the spec)

I'm at a loss. I've THOROUGHLY tested every possible assault spec and it is maddening. The RNG factor plays such a huge role, I almost believe their is a code or formula restricting DPS!! :) (less DPS on SS WITH Riot Augs, for example)

the testing I did was what I would call "controlled testing". i.e. no relic clicking, adrenals, or battle focus. I wanted to remove as many variables as I could.

I followed strict rotations, omitting MV, and sticking with IR, IP, SS, AP, and HiB(depending on my spec), on CD.

What I have found is full assault spec is still personal preference in PvE. In PvP, I would recommend it for burst and defensive CD's.

I'm not BiS, so obviously my numbers are lower that expected. and again, I was not attempting to break any records (no adrenals, relic clickies), I was testing full spec versus others.

5-5-36

http://www.torparse.com/a/430095/14/0/Damage+Dealt

8-8-30

http://www.torparse.com/a/430095/11/0/Damage+Dealt

As far as FULL Assault spec being more attractive, personal preference, I say. And for PvE, I really enjoy the ability to sit at 9.90m and pull just as much DPS, AND be able to watch the fight, not the boss's sack.

not to mention in zones like CZ, the droid boss w/ the charged plating, I can sit at 9.90m, RARELY get pulled (HO), and achieve maximum DPS, or pretty darn close.

EDIT: Aim-3067 Acc-100.24% Crit-22.08%(25.56 and 28.56% Tech) Surge-68.34% Pwr-1377.7

Edited by T-Assassin

Live parse following same rotation/restrictions as above:

5-5-36

http://www.torparse.com/a/430160/1/0/Damage+Dealt

this damage buff is roughly plus ~100.

RNG is a huge factor, but following the same controlled rotation, every time (minus a lag hiccup or nostromo FTF) they are within 100 DPS.

not gonna put us on par with top performing DPS AC's

EDIT:

8-8-30

http://www.torparse.com/a/430171/4/0/Damage+Dealt

My spec got nerfed :)

Edited by T-Assassin

A couple things…

First, using TD on cooldown is a really high priority. Judging by my napkin numbers, the trick to Assault is going to be managing the situations where you get bad RNG on HiB procs and ensuring you have enough ammo to refresh TD when it falls off.

Second, the numbers in Assault are always going to be lower than those in Tactics and Hybrid, assuming the game is balanced. The reason for this is both the execute and the armor debuff benefits. I know I sound like I'm parroting the devs here, but it's true. Assault picks up over 8% more DPS when it moves from dummy to boss (Tactics picks up about 3.4%), and it's more mobile than Tactics is. This means that if you can parse in the mid/high 2.8s in Assault in 72s, you're competitive with the best of the sentinels.

A couple things…

First, using TD on cooldown is a really high priority. Judging by my napkin numbers, the trick to Assault is going to be managing the situations where you get bad RNG on HiB procs and ensuring you have enough ammo to refresh TD when it falls off.

Second, the numbers in Assault are always going to be lower than those in Tactics and Hybrid, assuming the game is balanced. The reason for this is both the execute and the armor debuff benefits. I know I sound like I'm parroting the devs here, but it's true. Assault picks up over 8% more DPS when it moves from dummy to boss (Tactics picks up about 3.4%), and it's more mobile than Tactics is. This means that if you can parse in the mid/high 2.8s in Assault in 72s, you're competitive with the best of the sentinels.

My rotation is FLAWLESS. TD/AP is off CD for <.5 seconds.

next, in this rotation, I've had HiB NOT proc (SS-HS-IP...IP-HS-SS...SS-AP-IP...IP-HS-IP fillers, as CD's allow)maybe 2-3 times per 6+ minute parses...not really an issue.

I believe ya, on the dummy vs. actual boss scenario. i'm just testing specs and rotations...

and i'm seeing a + ~100 DPS in full assault (AP/TD damage buff), and a - ~100 DPS in my 8-8-30 spec (IR damage nerf).

I guess that's a "buff". when VG/PT is constantly outperformed by several hundred DPS, a ~100 "buff" is TINY step in the right direction to making VG/PT DPS competitive. (full Assault/Pryo)

from my PoV, this is a PvP buff...NOT a PvE buff.

Edited by T-Assassin