The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech Guidance

ShadowedAnarchy

Hi,

Firstly, Sorry that this probably has been posted so many times. I wish the forum had a search feature so I could find old posts.

I'm looking for a Powertech Leveling Build, eg: the best talents to pick when leveling from 10 to 55. I'm focusing my attention on the tanking tree, but there must be a semi-recent build out there? I've been loosely following Noxxic's build, but I've seen on the forums a few times that its abit rubbish.

Any and all help is appreciated. I've looked at the Vanguard forum too, but maybe im missing the post, so links would be handy too!

Thank you

I've always been a fan of http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoMrdorRrdRRZdsZ0c.3

Some people advise against Neural Overload except for PVP, but it's never bothered me. Just work your way up the tank tree and fill out the auxiliaries last. Pair with a well geared Mako or Treek for one of the best (but understandably not the fastest killing) solo leveling setups in the game.

That one last straggler point (you'll know it when you see it) is difficult to avoid. I suppose you could toss it into rail loaders along with the one point in Neural Overload if you had that much of an issue with NO, but I've never had a problem with it. It even helps with some boss fights (eg: being tossed out in the sandstorm on Dash Roode)

Hi,

Firstly, Sorry that this probably has been posted so many times. I wish the forum had a search feature so I could find old posts.

I'm looking for a Powertech Leveling Build, eg: the best talents to pick when leveling from 10 to 55. I'm focusing my attention on the tanking tree, but there must be a semi-recent build out there? I've been loosely following Noxxic's build, but I've seen on the forums a few times that its abit rubbish.

Any and all help is appreciated. I've looked at the Vanguard forum too, but maybe im missing the post, so links would be handy too!

Thank you

The question that I have for you, are you doing purely PvE, PvP, or a mix of both for leveling?

If PvE..the build recommend by thebvp will work, but he recommends 5 points that would provide little to no benefit in a pure tank and spank aspect. Neural Overrides, Fire Storm, and Jet Speed are PvP movement/movement slowing abilities. For kiting non champion/boss mobs yeah Jet Speed and Neural Overrides will help, but most Champion+ and Boss mobs are immune to slowing affects.

For PvE, I would instead put those 5 points into other talents....such as Hyper Fuel and Rail Loaders. Hyper Fuel benefits Flame Thrower, which is a huge portion of our outgoing damage and threat per second profile. Rail Loaders should and needs to be used on CD, particularly if tanking multiple mobs at once, due to it proccing Ion Gas.

In the AP and Pyro tree: Pyro in particular, Integrated Cardio Package is a terrible PvE talent. Yes, yes, yes I know Endurance increases our Health and makes us live longer. But, and this is coming from a level 55 side of it, the Health increase is not as much as you would think it is. Barely coming out to 1000 health fully buffed and stimmed with my current gear on my PT. You would be MUCH better off putting those points into Iron Fist and Prototype Burn Enhancers. Iron Fist buffs our highest instant attack threat damaging attack in Rocket Punch, which also procs Ion Gas. Prototype Burn Enhancers buffs Flame Burst and Flame Thrower damage as well by an addition 3%.

For PvP though the build that was listed will benefit you. Slows and snares are always needed and baseline ST does not bring any to the table.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMGrdoroMdRRZrsZb.3 is the current build that I use on my PT

Edited by ellenbec

Eh, I've never had much of a problem with threat (especially with at least a 72 barrel/offhand armoring), so I've always just opted for pure survivability. I do, however respectfully disagree on Fire Storm and Neural Overloads,- both are great when you need to get out of the way and/or kite, like, say for example if you get caught in the sandstorm on Dash Roode, kiting Sunder, etc. In general, I'm not there to do damage, I'm there to keep it from being done to other people, so anything that gives me more options (like mobility) in that department is good.

I can see where you're coming from, though. Especially while leveling, what you mentioned would probably be more beneficial than what I posted. Cheers.

Eh, I've never had much of a problem with threat (especially with at least a 72 barrel/offhand armoring), so I've always just opted for pure survivability. I do, however respectfully disagree on Fire Storm and Neural Overloads,- both are great when you need to get out of the way and/or kite, like, say for example if you get caught in the sandstorm on Dash Roode, kiting Sunder, etc. In general, I'm not there to do damage, I'm there to keep it from being done to other people, so anything that gives me more options (like mobility) in that department is good.

I can see where you're coming from, though. Especially while leveling, what you mentioned would probably be more beneficial than what I posted. Cheers.

And I will respectfully disagree with you on a few things as well.

A) Tank DPS is a factor in boss kills actually. Devs design boss health numbers and enrage timers to factor in Tank DPS (at about 500 - 1000 DPS average IIRC). Also, any increase that you can generate into your DPS is a DIRECT increase to your TPS since ST only has a couple of abilities with a high threat modifier on it (Ion Overload/Ion Gas Cylinder, Flame Sweep, and Shoulder Cannon)

B) The use of Neural Overrides and Jet Speed are situational AT BEST. Bosses are completely immune to the slow of Neural Overrides, very little trash needs to be kited, and really, if you need the run speed increase for Sunder from Jet Speed then you really have issues beyond that. I've kited Sunder plenty of times and never needed a run speed. Hell, a run speed increase like that would be next to impossible to keep up due to the very short duration of it. You would actually take MORE damage from him just to keep it up. The womp rats on Dash'roode do not need any kind of slow or run speed increase beyond Hydrolic Overrides really. And if you are running HM or NiM, standing there to GET Neural Overrides on them all will get you ripped apart since they hit like a train.

I truly believe that everything I listed is beneficial to leveling and end game play. I though completely understand AND can see where what you recommend would be useful and beneficial in places. But I see them more as wonky gaming mechanics and barely situational usage, whereas just flat out upping DPS done and total TPS done will bring you a better result.

And remmeber, the more DPS that we deal means we deal more TPS, which allows our DPS to not hold back as much. Taunts are good, but they can also be a HUGE crutch for lazy tanks. (Which I know someone will say taunt more n00b)