The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Alignment point woes

Agonus

I was told a while back that when you hit rank V in one extreme of alignment points, your lesser alignment points are reset to 0. For example, say you're at Dark IV and only need 25 points for rank V, and you have 250 Lightside points. So when you hit rank V, your Lightside Rank will be reset/wiped to 0.

Is this how it works? I've asked around in Genchat and gotten multiple different answers.

I ask this because I goofed on a lowbie Sorc with Diplomacy. The character is meant to be pure Darkside, and If I'm going to be stuck with an accidental 5 Lightside points, I'm deleting the character. >.<

no it doesn't work that way. there is no auto resetting.

you will continue to add light side to light and dark to dark until you max one or the other out. then when for example you are at max dark with some light side you will continually now subtract from the light I believe until it is zero when you do dark options. if you do the light options it will once again add to the light.

I have been max light and dark on my 55 toons so long that I hope this hasn't been changed. besides except for unlocking the legacy light and dark ability, and relics for leveling it really doesn't matter much to game play. from a rp point it might though.

hopefully this helps.

It's not auto-reset, your darkside points cancel out the lightside at a ratio of two to one, ie if you have 500LS points on a darkside characer, then it takes 1000DS points to negate them, until you have maximum DS alignment, or at least it did with my Marauder. Edited by AlexDougherty

My Marauder is currently LS2. The lesser is subtracted from the greater until one hits LS5/DS5, then the points from one side (LS, for me) subtracts from the other (DS, for me). That's how Alignment goes. Now, how do I get Rep points:rak_02:

So just to make sure I have this right, once I hit max rank in Dark, the next 10 DS points would reduce my current 5 LS points to 0?

Actually, from what I've experienced with playing about with DS and LS points, those LS points seem to have to go BEFORE you can get to DS level V- not after. And, the game seems to handle the details pretty well for the most part.

Last, but not least, you ARE aware, I hope that if you don't have Diplomacy as one of your skills, you CAN- well, "farm" super-under your level FPs and even some Heroics- just not for experience (because it's not going to really give you any more then a couple- Seriously! A full 8 points of XP for mission completion are the numbers I'm talking). Still, you CAN get LS/DS points from them. Because while the XP may drop to almost nothing the DS/LS points are ALWAYS the full 50 or 100 amount for the proper choices. (As is companion affection too btw but that's another discussion).

Anyway.

Farming may be annoying, unfun and repetitive, I know but still, once you find the right FP's and Heroics to run over and over and over and over for nothing else, if it's a choice of an hour or two of unproductive boredom or having that character get stuck with those points forever..... Personally? I think that a little extra time spent on getting rid of them for my "keepers" that I plan to keep playing for a long time is worth it but that decision is entirely up to you since I don't know how you feel about this particular character.

TL;DL response?

Keep picking the DS choices for now but if you find yourself heading towards the end of Chapter 3- like, you just got sent to Corellia for example, I'd jump over to Fleet and run the Black Talon solo a few times. I may not get my character anywhere level-wise from it but, some of that equipment reserved for full V's is kinda worth a little hassle.

Hope that helps. :)

Actually, from what I've experienced with playing about with DS and LS points, those LS points seem to have to go BEFORE you can get to DS level V- not after.

Yeah, that's what I meant, once you've hit the maximum number of DS points (or LS), you need to negate the LS points to get to DS level V, which happens at about half rate ie. 2 DS points negate 1 LS point.

Yeah, that's what I meant, once you've hit the maximum number of DS points (or LS), you need to negate the LS points to get to DS level V, which happens at about half rate ie. 2 DS points negate 1 LS point.

I don't think that is the case. I have a neutral character with 10000 in each LS and DS and when a LS/DS choice comes up in an FP I get full value for my choice.

I don't think that is the case. I have a neutral character with 10000 in each LS and DS and when a LS/DS choice comes up in an FP I get full value for my choice.

It only happens when you max out your alignment points in either direction, there is a maximum number of Darkside points (and a maximum number of lightside points) and to get to Darkside Tier 5 the game starts to cancel out the Lightside points (or vice-versa).

But as I say it only happens when you max out your alignment points in one of the directions, prior to that you still earn LS and DS points normally.