The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pyro Buffs

Kooziejr

And yes, I go to talk about PvP, because that's the only kind of gameplay where balance BETWEEN classes really matter.

Spec A being superior to spec B doesn't take away spec B's ability to clear dungeon X, as long as spec B is viable to do said content in the first place.

Spec A being superior to spec B does however take away spec B's ability to do Warzone Y against said spec.

I mean, it would nice that all classes would be equally wanted in operations and all. But balancing should always be done PvP first. Despite all the PvE-carebears insisting this is a PvE game, the game has - and has always had - PvP.

Either balance PvP first, or remove PvP.

And this brings us to why the sniper is the only viable caster class in PvP, from a game mechanics standpoint.

Ah, my friend...you understand so perfectly. I want to kiss you. No ****.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the point I'd like to add: if you parse identical parses with a caster and a class that has all abilities instant...The caster will always do worse in a PvP environment. As long as there are interrupts, the caster will always lose.

So you're saying a Pyro Powertech will always win against a Pyro Merc, because the Powertech has the ability to interrupt Power Shot and Unload? Even though the Merc can cleanse the DoTs, start doing their main attacks from 3x the distance and push the Powertech back more often than they can grapple. Lets not forget heal to full

So you're saying a Pyro Powertech will always win against a Pyro Merc, because the Powertech has the ability to interrupt Power Shot and Unload? Even though the Merc can cleanse the DoTs, start doing their main attacks from 3x the distance and push the Powertech back more often than they can grapple. Lets not forget heal to full

I think he means in general, which I agree with.

I've PvP'd a tad bit more on my Merc/Pyro than on my VG/Assault, and I find I have greater success on my VG.

I can challenge almost any class on my VG, whether it is straight DPS or kiting/LoS. I can as well on my Merc, but I can be shut down, or DPS drastically reduced if kiting, if attacked by >1 class (especially melee).

On VG, I can kite away <10m and still produce MAXIMUM DPS. That is not the case as a Mercenary.

Sure, Merc has some great survival and utility, under the right circumstances. But, I'm sure any competitive PvP'r understands under those circumstances, as a DPS class, what you want to do is DPS!! Not be interrupted or have to abandon your "rotation" because you have no immunity (sniper) or ability to "cast" on the run (VG/PT).

I have to be a bit more wily on my Merc to be successful versus opponents with skills. I can stick to my IPx3 HiB under any circumstance on my VG.

EDIT: And a good (I repeat good) DoT class is very challenging on my VG. Rock to my scissors, if you will.

EDIT x2: Allowing the ability to cast Power Sot on the run fixes this. (NOT Unload) Can still be interrupted, but DPS is not neutered if forced to kite or pressured.

Edited by T-Assassin