Companion Affection

VitalityPrime

Technically, yes. Realistically, no. Doing every quest once will still leave you with a lot of affection left to get.

You could theoretically get max affection through the conversation options in the daily quests for Belsavis and Ilum, but that would take awhile. Using gifties is much quicker.

Do you need to buy gifts...or can you gain enough affection just through the story, conversations and your choices?

I found it fairly easy to get max affection with Kira (as a male guardian, so there was romance) and Kaliyo (as a female sniper, so there wasn't) without resorting to gifts. I think I maxed Kira before I even got Doc. (OK, there were a few given in both cases, but those were gifts of opportunity—I was cleaning out inventory and there were some things which only they really liked.)

You'll only be able to max one companion without gifts, and you can't even do that in some cases. For example, a female sorcerer could adventure with Ashara from the moment she shows up and never reach 10,000.

I think the only companion you can easily get max affection is the starting companion. The ones that you need gifts for are like the ones you get in chapter 2 or later. When I was a smuggler and I got Akaavi, I noticed that when I got too Belsavis she was not near 5000 affection while Corso was near like 7000 affection.