The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Greatest Military Tactician - THE LIST

wuzzuliki

Nobody put Carlist Reeikan? Ya know, the general who kept the rebels together inbetween episdes 4 and 5 and if it wasn't for him, probably would of lost most of his army on hoth instead of being able evacuate most of his troops.

Yeah...bit shocked here.

Well I was gonns, but wasn't sure if the tacticians would be separate really or not from space/ground. Though yes he should be in the list, his tactics in leading ground forces were very good.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Akbar should not be number 2, Wedge was able to best him more often then not in war games, Wedge was a better tactitian.

Edit: for those who are questioning the ability of some one being able to tell what another is going to do by studying art work. Its a combination of studying Art history and Psychology essentially he has studied culture in general and the culture of many other species by doing this with his understanding of psychology he can tell what his opponent is psychologically capable of. Its the same thing as when FBI check into a persons preference for music, games, movies, and art work all of this is art and by doing so they can get a psychological profile on the person, thrawn just does this on a larger scale and is able to more accurately do so since not every one in Star wars is Human.

Edit 2: Wedge's primary tactic which worked against a lot of different people was he would generally open with a maneuver that looked obvious when the enemy did the exact proper response to his opening he would reveal the trap switching tactics at the last second giving his enemy no time to respond and then blowing them to bits since their proper response is now the worst possible thing they could have done. If they don't respond at all or do the improper response all he has to do is keep with the original plan rather then the planned switch up for him its a win win.

Edited by tunewalker

That's a good argument for Wedge.

In terms of Carlist Reeikan, I don't know much about him. HOMEWORK TIME!

Actually he was quite good at raiding, space warefare and ground warfare. Much of the raiding work that the Rebels did in between Episodes 4 and 5, mostly the work of Carlist Reeikan. Infact he planned many of the Rogue Squadron raids that began turning them into legends. Yes luke and wedge formed the squadron and the mechanics behind them, Reeikan took that and ran with it.

Do we really need a list to name Thrawn the champ here?

That isn't really the point here, besides Thrawn is already one. Though I STILL...yes I know I am sounding like a broken record, even though I haven't seen any support for this...I still think we should separate it between Space and Ground tacticians to make things easier and more fair for some.

Considering Wedge's Overwhelming support for the number 2 spot, I'm going to replace Ackbar with him, and move Ackbar to the number 3 spot.

Okay so the only nomination for Ground Tactician No.1 is Reikan. Anyone wish to challenge this?

Considering Wedge's Overwhelming support for the number 2 spot, I'm going to replace Ackbar with him, and move Ackbar to the number 3 spot.

Okay so the only nomination for Ground Tactician No.1 is Reikan. Anyone wish to challenge this?

Not going to challenge that, but I would actually bump Wedge down one spot along with ackbar and slide Jan Dodonna in as #2. Sorry Wedge is good, as is ackbar, but they learned much of what they knew from that man. He literally wrote the book for Rebel space fighting, Ackabr and Antillies merely took it and ran with it.

Not going to challenge that, but I would actually bump Wedge down one spot along with ackbar and slide Jan Dodonna in as #2. Sorry Wedge is good, as is ackbar, but they learned much of what they knew from that man. He literally wrote the book for Rebel space fighting, Ackabr and Antillies merely took it and ran with it.

Dodonna wrote the book for rebel fighting period, though I feel both Akbar and Wedge outstripped him in space tactic arena, most of what Akbar learned was from both dodonna as well as his experience as Tarkin's slave. Wedge learned from Akbar dodonna and experience kind of re-writing some of that same book.

Dodonna wrote the book for rebel fighting period, though I feel both Akbar and Wedge outstripped him in space tactic arena, most of what Akbar learned was from both dodonna as well as his experience as Tarkin's slave. Wedge learned from Akbar dodonna and experience kind of re-writing some of that same book.

True but without Dodonna, no playbook. Kind of like having the chicken without the egg. Had dodonna not be captured right after Yavin 4, he would of been leading the assault on the Second death star with Ackabr as his right hand man.

True but without Dodonna, no playbook. Kind of like having the chicken without the egg. Had dodonna not be captured right after Yavin 4, he would of been leading the assault on the Second death star with Ackabr as his right hand man.

I just think he should be part of the ground tactic part, since he was just as good there and by the end Akbar and Wedge did build on him and get better by being better they kind of have to be a little higher on the list by that very virtue, we shouldn't over look Dodonna obviously the man did an amazing for the rebellion, but in their height Akbar and Wedge did get 1-up on him.

I just think he should be part of the ground tactic part, since he was just as good there and by the end Akbar and Wedge did build on him and get better by being better they kind of have to be a little higher on the list by that very virtue, we shouldn't over look Dodonna obviously the man did an amazing for the rebellion, but in their height Akbar and Wedge did get 1-up on him.

Well Ackbar on fleet maneuvers and tactics, but Wedge on small unit and squadron/wing level tactics. But hell if you want to throw in good tacticans, have to look at Han Solo. He out foxed Zinnj how many times with weaker forces, and actually stopped him with wedge's help how many times?

Just a thought for consideration.

Well Ackbar on fleet maneuvers and tactics, but Wedge on small unit and squadron/wing level tactics. But hell if you want to throw in good tacticans, have to look at Han Solo. He out foxed Zinnj how many times with weaker forces, and actually stopped him with wedge's help how many times?

Just a thought for consideration.

Wedge out did Akbar in fleet tactics as well, he proved this in their war games against each other. Akbar always believed Wedge would make a great fleet tactitian but Wedge didn't think he would, but Akbar was proven correct when Wedge finally did accept his role as general and showed his masterful tactics time and again besting all kind of remnant imperials and besting Akbar himself in many war games often times with the inferior forces. Every time Wedge came out of retirement he had another major Victory to his belt. The battle of Borleias he lasted in a battle for several months longer than was expected for him to last AND ended up winning the battle against an opponent described as the "garm bel" of Yuuzong Vong marking the first major victory for the republic and showing that the battle could be won against them. The next time he came out of retirement he became the Supreme commander of the Correllian Defense Force and held off the forces of the Galactic Alliance until believeing that corellia was corrupt to and joining Luke where together they ended the war by destroying Corellia's center point superweapon and the forces under Darth Caedus who was also touted as a great strategist.

But yes General Solo needs to be considered.

Edited by tunewalker

Wedge out did Akbar in fleet tactics as well, he proved this in their war games against each other. Akbar always believed Wedge would make a great fleet tactitian but Wedge didn't think he would, but Akbar was proven correct when Wedge finally did accept his role as general and showed his masterful tactics time and again besting all kind of remnant imperials and besting Akbar himself in many war games often times with the inferior forces. Every time Wedge came out of retirement he had another major Victory to his belt. The battle of Borleias he lasted in a battle for several months longer than was expected for him to last AND ended up winning the battle against an opponent described as the "garm bel" of Yuuzong Vong marking the first major victory for the republic and showing that the battle could be won against them. The next time he came out of retirement he became the Supreme commander of the Correllian Defense Force and held off the forces of the Galactic Alliance until believeing that corellia was corrupt to and joining Luke where together they ended the war by destroying Corellia's center point superweapon and the forces under Darth Caedus who was also touted as a great strategist.

But yes General Solo needs to be considered.

Do not disagree in the slightest. Trust me Wedge is probably my favorite Non-jedi character in SW. His tactics once he adapted his small fighter thinking to fleet problems, were amazing. And his stands at Bilbringi, were nothing short of genius.

Totally agree that eventually Wedge became the tactican Ackbar wanted him to be. But it took Ackbar kicking him in the seat of his pants to do it. Guess you could call Ackbar a better teacher :D

Do not disagree in the slightest. Trust me Wedge is probably my favorite Non-jedi character in SW. His tactics once he adapted his small fighter thinking to fleet problems, were amazing. And his stands at Bilbringi, were nothing short of genius.

Totally agree that eventually Wedge became the tactican Ackbar wanted him to be. But it took Ackbar kicking him in the seat of his pants to do it. Guess you could call Ackbar a better teacher :D

Oh ya absolutely Akbar was a great motivator and teacher, Wedge was just amazing in applying everything he knew into tactics, and to awnser your question beni yes he was that good like I said I did not do a good job argueing him when I faced off against the AE.

Is Wedge Antilles really the second greatest military tactician ever?

Read rebel dream, then rebel stand. Or read the synopsis on Wedge. Hell look at Battle of Bilbringi when he got outnumbered by the Vong but was still able to take out more ships than he lost and was able to hold off the enemy long enough for help to arrive.

His rumble tactic on that Vong analog cruiser, stroke of genius. I'd of loved to have seen General Antillies incharge of a fleet vs Thrawn. Would of been one for the ages.

Also, I'd also like to Nominate Garm Bel Iblis for fleet commander's list along with Gilead Pelleon.

Read rebel dream, then rebel stand. Or read the synopsis on Wedge. Hell look at Battle of Bilbringi when he got outnumbered by the Vong but was still able to take out more ships than he lost and was able to hold off the enemy long enough for help to arrive.

His rumble tactic on that Vong analog cruiser, stroke of genius. I'd of loved to have seen General Antillies incharge of a fleet vs Thrawn. Would of been one for the ages.

Also, I'd also like to Nominate Garm Bel Iblis for fleet commander's list along with Gilead Pelleon.

absolutely for both of them, just not sure where I think Gilead may need to be under Daala but I will admit most of my knowledge of him is from before his height.

absolutely for both of them, just not sure where I think Gilead may need to be under Daala but I will admit most of my knowledge of him is from before his height.

Gilead, you see him all over the place. Hell he even shows up in the Clone commando books as a ship commander. He learned A LOT from Thrawn, and as the fight to defeat the Empire wore on, he fought the Republic to basically a stand still and kept the Empire alive in the remnant. Hell after Daala failed with trying to destroy the jedi Praxxum, she handed Pelleaon the keys and he fought on.

A great man and tactician.