The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Greatest Military Tactician - THE LIST

wuzzuliki

If you're discussing his skills to fight on the Frontlines whilst outnumbered, you are missing the point unless I have read it wrongly. His combat ability means nothing in this discussion.

None-the-less, he was the leader of the "Army of Light". He didn't sit back and stare at artwork.. he was of the people, leading the people. Even if you disregard his combat prowess, He was the mortar for the entire jedi forces.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's totally subjective, and in essence obscure. That was Thrawns pathway for meditation. His intelligence could have stewed while he watched a holo-dancer. Your subscriptions to this premise are beyond hilarious.
*is

Anyway, its not subjective, its an ability he possessed established by the material he appears in. Perhaps you should take a look at it before making arbitrary assumptions.

None-the-less, he was the leader of the "Army of Light". He didn't sit back and stare at artwork.. he was of the people, leading the people. Even if you disregard his combat prowess, He was the mortar for the entire jedi forces.

None the less. Had he been a superior stategist he'd of WON the battle of Ruusan, not kept it going for 2 years and basically wrecking the Army of Light. Do you know how many soldiers and jedi he lost during that 2 years? Thousands. Had it not been a timely arrival by that one Jedi Master who broke Hoth from the darkside, it's quite possible that Hoth would of lost the battle of Ruusan and the Army of Light.

No no...that's not good tactical or strategic thinking. He led his men into a meat grinder. No two ways about it.

You realize he destroyed a New Republic attack group with a single ship by studying the art of the opposing tactician?

Also, as an aside. I'm slightly color-blind to dark colors so, while I appreciate you using colored text, perhaps something a bit brighter next time?

hehe, Simply viewed as another example of how experience trumped the odds...nothing more. He relied on classic battle formation knowledge, infused with his timed intuition of how he felt his oppoents would engage. I'll admit. Thrawn's approach to art was pretty cool "study time".

If your desire to read my words is that great, I'll re-consider on your behalf. lol

No no...that's not good tactical or strategic thinking. He led his men into a meat grinder. No two ways about it.

Hmm, perhaps his opponents were truly that formidable. It's unfair to not reflect on how the force battles were fought at that time.

Lord Kaan and his motley crew of Sith "Lords"? Some of which were children? I wouldn't say so.

^This. I mean it was a war of attrition, that does not show tactical or strategic brilliance. Given the fact up until he got the backup near the end of the battle for Ruusan, Hoth was on the losing end of the battle. He was literally at the breaking point for his army.

First of all, grats on the thread. The color brigade likes to pick and choose their excerpts, for they prefer to gratify their own threads. Having said that, you may be lucky with a few sincere replies.

Some elaboration is required...

hehe, Simply viewed as another example of how experience trumped the odds...nothing more. He relied on classic battle formation knowledge, infused with his timed intuition of how he felt his oppoents would engage. I'll admit. Thrawn's approach to art was pretty cool "study time".

If your desire to read my words is that great, I'll re-consider on your behalf. lol

"Study time," huh? Not really.

I don't really have a desire to read your words, just saying that red text is 'difficult' for me to read.

"Study time," huh? Not really.

I don't really have a desire to read your words, just saying that red text is 'difficult' for me to read.

LoooooooL

Studying as much about your opponent as you can makes sense. Your emphasis on this in Thrawn's case is hilarious. It's great trivia, nothing more.

I'm not disputing Thrawn as a tactician.

LoooooooL

Studying as much about your opponent as you can makes sense. Your emphasis on this in Thrawn's case is hilarious. It's great trivia, nothing more.

I'm not disputing Thrawn as a tactician.

You realize that this tactic is unprecedented, yeah?

I'd rather stick to the list I have right now, purely for the reason that if it is filled, then I can see about splitting them into Space and Ground if we run out of slots. I mean, I don't mind doing it now if needed, but for now I think we're good.

I'd rather stick to the list I have right now, purely for the reason that if it is filled, then I can see about splitting them into Space and Ground if we run out of slots. I mean, I don't mind doing it now if needed, but for now I think we're good.

I'm just saying it might be easier to separate it, I mean ya Thrawn was an excellent space tactician...but for all we know his ground tactics were not as good as his space ones if they are even there to begin with.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

^This. I mean it was a war of attrition, that does not show tactical or strategic brilliance. Given the fact up until he got the backup near the end of the battle for Ruusan, Hoth was on the losing end of the battle. He was literally at the breaking point for his army.

His decisions were responsible for saving millions of lives. His "tactics" threatened the Sith to the point that they were forced to retreat back to Ruusan for the eventual finality to the war. There is more to Hoth than just the final battles on said planet.

Edited by UncleOst

My Humble opinion, no specific order:

Gilad Pellaeon

Natasi Daala

Revan

Remulus Dreypa

Cassus Fett

Rycus Kilran

Mitth'raw'nuruodo

Octavian Grant

Arkos Rakton

The Exile

Mandalore the Ultimate

Garm Bel Iblis

Odile Vaiken

Soontir Fel

Yoda

Edited by MortenJessen

Hoth isn't in the equation, ignore UncleOst.

I'm no expert on tacticians, but the names Dodonna, Ackbar, Iblis, Nek etc. come to mind.

That's a start. Add the following:

Gilad Palleon

Nuso Esva (because reasons)

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Plo Koon

Mace Windu

Darth Vader

Darth Sidious

General Maximillian Veers

General Carlist Rieekan

General Grievous

Admiral Trench