• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Implying I want to give out my name and address to a stranger

Implying that's how real id's work

Implying you're not a child molester

No....

Did you play WoW?

Real-ID in that game let you choose. You put in your friend's real name, and then the both of you were connected regardless of server or faction.

If you didn't want to put your friend's real name there you could just put the game name and go on like usual.

There was no harm to this system whatsoever.

I used it for my real life friends. I miss it now.

A system similar to what CoH/CoV uses with their Global chat handles would be perfect. That way I don't have to /friend every single one of my friends toons.

Just /gfriend their Global name (@Rezelius for instance) and then I can chat with them across servers and see when they're online, whichever toon they're using that particular instance. :)

Edited by Rezelius

No....

Did you play WoW?

Real-ID in that game let you choose. You put in your friend's real name, and then the both of you were connected regardless of server or faction.

If you didn't want to put your friend's real name there you could just put the game name and go on like usual.

There was no harm to this system whatsoever.

I used it for my real life friends. I miss it now.

Uhh yeah the wow system of real ID is what I was talking about. I'm not the one who doesn't understand how it works it's the guy I was quoting

Implying origin isn't spyware

Hmm, it's installed on your machine when you install this game, and it's tied to the very login you used to get into this game.

You choosing not to use the software after it's already installed on your machine, and you have an active account with them is a choice you made, but the option is there for you.

Absolutely not. It's just amazing how the facebook generation doesn't understand the value of privacy and your personal information in general. You'll learn. Eventually you will meet someone who was stalked, had their identity stolen, or lost their job because of social networking.

There's already several ways to see what your friends are doing, texting and vent to name just two.

Edited by Fredcat

Absolutely not. It's just amazing how the facebook generation doesn't understand the value of privacy and your personal information in general. You'll learn. Eventually you will meet someone who was stalked, had their identity stolen, or lost their job because of social networking.

There's already several ways to see what your friends are doing, texting and vent to name just two.

Real-ID is just between you and the friend you choose. Not anyone else. Everyone else can be usual friends on a friends' list. No harm, no foul

My understanding is RealID ties all your characters to your real Identity...which I don't particularly want...I still like my privacy thank you.

You don't understand then. You can add people to your friends list two methods in WoW and you don't have to show your name.

Method 1. You just add the characters name and your done.

Method 2. You add the person's email and that is how they can see your real name.

http://us.battle.net/en/realid/faq

I don't think the full WoW version of RealID is what is needed.

I just want an ability to have friends be account wide. I could care less about email addresses.

It would work something like this:

Me: Add Jonny to my Global Friends list

Jonny: Glowrod as requested to add you to his global friends list. Do you accept? (Y/N)

Me: Jonny has accepted your global friend request. You can now chat with him regardless of which character, faction or server he is on.

/woot

Edited by Glowrod

In the year 2012 things like real ID's, ...... are really must haves.

I love that mindset. :)

Combine RealID in online games with Facebook, Twitter, and other systems people use to expose their lives online makes my job as an investigator much easier. Oh...and GPS tracking on your smartphones. I love that one (mine's disabled of course). Thank you for telling the world about yourself. I really appreciate the information.

Of course, all of the stalkers out there appreciate it too.

That's why I never use those systems myself. If RealID came to this game, I would quit immediately.

Seriously, those who feel that systems linking your real life into your online life are "must haves" need to seriously stop and think about what you're doing. No, I'm not paranoid. I dig into people's lives for a living (legally), and see the good and bad in people. It's frightening to see what people expose about themselves to complete strangers. And trust me...there are some bad people out that gathering all of this information as well.

Hmm, it's installed on your machine when you install this game, and it's tied to the very login you used to get into this game.

You choosing not to use the software after it's already installed on your machine, and you have an active account with them is a choice you made, but the option is there for you.

You're badly informed, Origin is not installed or necessary for SWTOR.

I love that mindset. :)

Combine RealID in online games with Facebook, Twitter, and other systems people use to expose their lives online makes my job as an investigator much easier. Oh...and GPS tracking on your smartphones. I love that one (mine's disabled of course). Thank you for telling the world about yourself. I really appreciate the information.

Of course, all of the stalkers out there appreciate it too.

That's why I never use those systems myself. If RealID came to this game, I would quit immediately.

Seriously, those who feel that systems linking your real life into your online life are "must haves" need to seriously stop and think about what you're doing. No, I'm not paranoid. I dig into people's lives for a living (legally), and see the good and bad in people. It's frightening to see what people expose about themselves to complete strangers. And trust me...there are some bad people out that gathering all of this information as well.

How paranoid could you be bro? BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU. lol chill out