The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Episode 7 worries...

CTFoxhound

Just wondering if anyone else has any worries about episode 7. Firstly I think J.J. Abrams is a perfect director for the film and Disney behind it and funding it is great. Sky is the limit on what they can do, I honestly think next trilogy is gonna blow away the prequels and make us forget about them and I have a feeling this trilogy has the potential to be a masterpiece and really bring Star Wars back to how it was with 4-6.

BUT main thing that is starting to worry me alot is the fact that the movie is slated to come out in summer 2015... that really isn't too far away and from what information is known, the script is still not done, all the actors are not selected, and filming of course has not begun yet! I really don't want to believe this because honestly summer is almost over for 2013 which gives episode 7 LESS THAN 2 YEARS to get all this together and done in time for the 2015 summer... that is not good at all. Especially for this movie which is supposed to be a mega blockbuster.

I really hope production has started and they are just keeping a VERY tight lip on what's goin on. Anyone else have any other concerns?

There have been no official 'hints' at all as to what the fate of the entire EU will be, the Post-ROTJ is most definitely gone, but the rest, there is no reason to fiddle with it and I cannot see them coming up with a better back story than we've already got for the saga. Edited by LadyKulvax

Well I have some thoughts about the casting that I don't think have been mentioned yet. There's casting rumors all over the place and it's hard to keep track so apologies if any rumor that I discuss has been dismissed.

The two rumors that come to mind are Ryan Gosling as Luke's son (don't know if it was said to be Ben Skywalker explicitly) and Emperor Palps will return. I know there were some complaints on here of Gosling's casting but let's think for a second.

The general masses, of whom most of the revenue will come from, still have the lasting impression from both trilogies that Jedi are not to have children. Think of how confused and possibly upsetting this can be to those people. Now if JJ chooses to maintain the Jedi childless image in a Post ROTJ movie it will anger us, people who know EU material, but lets be honest, we will be in the minority in terms of people seeing this movie. Truth be told if I was in charge from a business perspective I may have gone with a childless Luke to keep the masses happy and thus the masses will encourage each other to see my movie and anger SW fans who were going to see the movie anyways rather than the converse. If they are casting for Luke's son, it shows to me that some EU is going to stay in tact (by the way if Luke does have a son it needs to be "Ben" otherwise both the masses and the fans will be turned off).

Now to Palps rumor, which I just saw a few moments ago and hadn't heard of it until now (http://www.latinospost.com/articles/25382/20130811/star-wars-episode-7-casting-news-update-ian-mcdiarmid-rumored.htm). Again, the general masses believe Palp to be dead and that's the end of it. To the general person I think it's safe to say a reborn Palp will be more confusing and potentially more polarizing than a Jedi/Luke with a son. Similar reasoning as above in that this points to some EU material holding up and again it seems, if both are true, that this movie might be risking some revenue by playing on EU lore contradicting to the average person's knowledge of SW.

In any case we don't have any control or real influence on what they do so I don't think about it at all and just look forward to its release. I'm confident that JJ, the guy who has taken pre-existing franchises in Mission Impossible and Star Trek to new heights, will do an awesome job!

As far as the rendering post RotJ EU non-canon goes, I'm not overly bothered; it's worth remembering that EU always was, according to GL, 2nd class canon next to the movies anyway(which also goes for the novelizations of the movies; they are interpretations of the source - the movies themselves).

Never forget, a wise man(or should that be wise guy?) once said "a great many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view".

There have been no official 'hints' at all as to what the fate of the entire EU will be, the Post-ROTJ is most definitely gone, but the rest, there is no reason to fiddle with it and I cannot see them coming up with a better back story than we've already got for the saga.

Perhaps we should hope they don't do an old republic style movie for the same reason; we don't want them messing tor eu up. But maybe that's just me.

I just hope Disney understands the responsibility they have taken on. Star Wars, for many of us, isnt just some fandom thing. Its part of our very being. For me, Star Wars, was a connection to my father when there was nothing else. When we couldnt talk about anything we had Star Wars.

Look at the controversy midichlorians and gungans caused. If Disney isnt careful they could totally ruin the universe and themselves in the process.

Luckily I think Disney is aware of this as they, themselves, have the same situation going on with Mickey Mouse, Donald, Duck, the Princesses, etc.

Just wondering if anyone else has any worries about episode 7. Firstly I think J.J. Abrams is a perfect director for the film and Disney behind it and funding it is great. Sky is the limit on what they can do, I honestly think next trilogy is gonna blow away the prequels and make us forget about them and I have a feeling this trilogy has the potential to be a masterpiece and really bring Star Wars back to how it was with 4-6.

BUT main thing that is starting to worry me alot is the fact that the movie is slated to come out in summer 2015... that really isn't too far away and from what information is known, the script is still not done, all the actors are not selected, and filming of course has not begun yet! I really don't want to believe this because honestly summer is almost over for 2013 which gives episode 7 LESS THAN 2 YEARS to get all this together and done in time for the 2015 summer... that is not good at all. Especially for this movie which is supposed to be a mega blockbuster.

I really hope production has started and they are just keeping a VERY tight lip on what's goin on. Anyone else have any other concerns?

The highlighted part is the key. What we have been told does not equal where they are at in the process. That is not even considering the fact that they have told us that they are not going to begin filming till early next year.

That said, I fully believe that they do have actors lined up or are very close. I also believe that pre-production is in full swing. They are building sets, costumes, props, digital assets, the works. Much of this has to be ready to go by the time they start filming.

It's not like they aren't going to do anything at all till early next year.

TL:DR Chill.

Edited by TheBBP

I honestly don't think we've seen the end of the eu. There are still books being written & stories to be told. I do think ep7 will be the beginning of the du (Disney universe) and We're liable to see another set of books, movies, games etc that follow that timeline. That way they'll be getting $$$ from both sides.....& U know how much Disney loves money lol

My only question is how horribly they will butcher the last 35+ years of Expanded Universe continuity and canon?

That they will is not even a question IMHO.

I don't think the movies will be all that good...It's widely accepted that Megan Fox + CGI EXPLOSIONS!!!111!!! = proper movie nowadays, and has been the case for a long time, I don't see this changing anytime soon. (Hint: This was not the case in 1977-83. Movies that "made it" had to be good back then.)