solo players to get beyond rating 156..?

skywave

I have 7 rep toons and 7 imp toons all at 55.

Master Crafter as well.

Running my own guild with only me as a member, in order to have space for all crafting mats and etc. Expanding the guild is not easy as there are apparently enough and more popular guilds around which people prefer to join.

The above info is just to underline the following:

Unless you are in a big guild - or swimming in credits - it is very hard as a solo player to get much higher than Rating 156.

Pug's - hmmm not an easy path either..

My question is:

Would it be possible, either via crafting (including RE) or solo missions/lines, to make a way for solo players to acquire those higher e.g. armorings, mods, enhancements above 28..?

Edited by skywave

My question is:

Would it be possible, either via crafting (including RE) or solo missions/lines, to make a way for solo players to acquire those higher e.g. armorings, mods, enhancements above 28..?

And your suggestion is what? (this is the suggestion subforum).

There surely could be some way for solo players to get 30 and 31 equipment, but why bother? Solo players do not need raid equipment as they do not raid.

You can get the equipment, if you are swimming in cash by just buying it from the market or asking someone to craft it for you. You can then reengineer the stuff and you could get full il31 (=72) gear without ever visiting any operation... but again, why bother?

And your suggestion is what? (this is the suggestion subforum).

There surely could be some way for solo players to get 30 and 31 equipment, but why bother? Solo players do not need raid equipment as they do not raid.

You can get the equipment, if you are swimming in cash by just buying it from the market or asking someone to craft it for you. You can then reengineer the stuff and you could get full il31 (=72) gear without ever visiting any operation... but again, why bother?

It makes dailies go faster, and does honeslty give you a boost over bolster, using full raid mods without the expertise gear gives you max expertise from bolster and higher stats than the pvp gear currently gives you.

Hence, the reason. Anythign found in a raid needs a way for solo players to get, on their own, without requiring the GTN. Or, fix bolster and cause mobs to scale with gear on dailies so raiders don't get a boost in the grind department. After all, by your logic you only need those stats to raid thus you should not get a boost from them in any other aspect of the game right?

It makes dailies go faster, and does honeslty give you a boost over bolster, using full raid mods without the expertise gear gives you max expertise from bolster and higher stats than the pvp gear currently gives you.

Hence, the reason. Anythign found in a raid needs a way for solo players to get, on their own, without requiring the GTN. Or, fix bolster and cause mobs to scale with gear on dailies so raiders don't get a boost in the grind department. After all, by your logic you only need those stats to raid thus you should not get a boost from them in any other aspect of the game right?

I understand the desire for the best gear as it does make soling easier. I do not agree with the "only raiders need raid gear" and "if you're not raiding, you don't need raid gear" sentiments.

Having said that, though, I also understand the raiders' desire for the top tier gear to be available only from raids. If it were possible to obtain the gear without raiding, the number of players raiding would likely drop, either because it would no longer be necessary to raid to obtain that equipment, or because it would be possible to "double dip" and raid in the hopes of getting the drops while at the same time gearing up while not raiding.

If there were a way to make the best gear available without raiding that would not adversely affect raiding, I would likely support it. I just don't see any way to do so. I think the devs have reached the best compromise, which is to keep the highest gear obtainable only in raids, but making the lower tiers able to be RE'd. It may cost a lot of credits or mats, but it is possible to have almost the best gear.

Meh it's easy to get 69's playing solo. I'm pretty much a solo player who only really ever uses GF ( I'm in a guild but often miss raids due to time restritions ) and I'm full 69's and starting to slot in some 72's that I'm buying off GTN.

That and I only have one character, no other toons at all so not making tons of money on other crafting/crew skills except my 5 companions I have i ngame and I'm buying up 72's now ( amongst other stuff for giggles ). Plus I use archaeology, treasure hunting and artifice which some would argue isn't one of the best ways of making creds ( works well for me ).

So yeah there really doesn't need to be any easier way for solo players to earn it, you just have to grind it out and actually play the game. If I can do it so can you and 69's are piss easy to achieve, 72's not as easy but then if it were easy everyone would be rolling around in full 72's and those that worked hard to get their ful lsets now would feel a bit hard done by.

It's fine as is imo.

JPryde - your cocky attitude is repulsive..

You are missing the point:

better gear enables you to participate in ops groups (raids afaik is not existing in swtor)

to get better gear you need to participate in ops groups

a circle w/o solution..

and no - i am not swimming in credits so forget about the gtn..

and I also know everything about RE'ing so I don't need your patronizing comment about that..

with your 'philosophy' - what happens is that you reach a certain level and run into a wall, which you can't climb - eventually making you consider to give up on the game, because you can't advance..

and why would solo players not want to go into ops groups? obviously that is the goal with the game - to be able to have fun in operations as well..

btw: my 'suggestion' lies in the question - but it's clear you fail to understand that

Edited by skywave

If you aren't running Operations you don't need above 66s and you can get 69s easily from HM FPs and commendations. If you need 72s+ to make "dailies easier" you are having a far larger problem than gear. ;)

You can save up your money from all the dailies you run (which nets about 500k/day if you do them all per toon) and buy the level 31 mods anyway.

OR you can branch out and join a guild with you know... people... in it and run Operations and get gear via loot.

better gear enables you to participate in ops groups (raids afaik is not existing in swtor)

to get better gear you need to participate in ops groups

a circle w/o solution..

There is a solution...

http://www.swtor.com/info/eldergame

You do dailies and HM Flashpoints to get geared to do SM Operations. (156)

You do SM operations to get geared for HM operations (162)

You do HM operations to do NiM Operations (168)

Very simple. The "problems" come with people don't want to devote the time and want to just jump right into HM operations which there is little reason...

As far as solo players. Wait until the new tier comes out. When the new tier comes out you can get better gear playing solo. But up until that point giving a solo way to get higher tier gear will hurt both PvP and PvE progression.

ninjonxb - alright - yes it was something like that i was looking for..actually was already starting looking into this after my post here :)

thx for that supportive answer - makes sense..

and thx for the link - never stumbled over that..

cheers

Edited by skywave

My issue here is that for many of us solo players, it's not that we don't want to spend the time getting the gear, rather we can't afford the time. Personally I love doing Ops, but I've only ever been able to do five or six since release because I haven't had the time to find a group and play through the Op. Even with a guild, the raid times are more-or-less fixed and if those times don't suit? Tough.

Finding better gear's a nightmare once you reach a certain tier. I'm not saying players should be handed the best gear on a silver platter, I'm saying solo players should have to work for it through innovative means that make it equally as difficult as through Ops, but with the twist that it is achievable by a single person over a period of time. For example, it may require certain materials to be gathered from around the galaxy. Maybe these items are dropped by particular bosses in a Flashpoint if one is on the applicable mission, perhaps numbers of them need to be collected from creature X on planet Y. Once all of the components are retrieved, they may be assembled in to a higher-tier of armour. Perhaps there's a construction time on the armour.

This makes Ops preferable as a faster way of achieving gear as well as experiencing new content, but allows solo players to eventually catch up, as well as giving them something to strive for rather than stagnating a few weeks after hitting level 55.

My issue here is that for many of us solo players, it's not that we don't want to spend the time getting the gear, rather we can't afford the time. Personally I love doing Ops, but I've only ever been able to do five or six since release because I haven't had the time to find a group and play through the Op. Even with a guild, the raid times are more-or-less fixed and if those times don't suit? Tough.

Finding better gear's a nightmare once you reach a certain tier. I'm not saying players should be handed the best gear on a silver platter, I'm saying solo players should have to work for it through innovative means that make it equally as difficult as through Ops, but with the twist that it is achievable by a single person over a period of time. For example, it may require certain materials to be gathered from around the galaxy. Maybe these items are dropped by particular bosses in a Flashpoint if one is on the applicable mission, perhaps numbers of them need to be collected from creature X on planet Y. Once all of the components are retrieved, they may be assembled in to a higher-tier of armour. Perhaps there's a construction time on the armour.

This makes Ops preferable as a faster way of achieving gear as well as experiencing new content, but allows solo players to eventually catch up, as well as giving them something to strive for rather than stagnating a few weeks after hitting level 55.

Not sure what server you're on, but maybe you just need to find the right guild for you. If the guild is large enough, it should be able to support a couple Ops groups, if not just an alt group that can run on different nights, or be more open to its members playtimes.

As others have said, the absolute top level gear should always be reserved for those that are completing the hardest content to date. The next level down is what can be crafted, and is therefor available to everyone. IMO, this is the best way for it to be done. Although slightly different way of thinking, technically, you can go around now and get things to obtain the next-to-highest level gear. You can earn credits to buy them off the GTN, and perhaps even learn the schematics through reverse engineering.

This game is trying for group content and that is wear the incentive will be for the best stuff. If you want it, then group with people. If you do not have the time, then either find the time, deal with it, or find another game. BW wants people to group and will design content with an incentive for people to group. Bigger the group and harder the content better the rewards. The time you have to play is your problem not BW's or anyone else who plays the game.

Phinion - errr what is your comment supposed to do in this discussion? You as well as others fail to see the essence of this post, you just blabber away without seeing the topic.

Grouping up with people is not the issue, as well as having enough time is not the issue. It is a fact that there are plenty of solo players who are not able to progress with their gear because they are not accepted in pugs due to too low stats. To help those players getting a foot inside the ops groups I think it would be beneficial to the game if there would be a way - make it hard if needed, no problem there - but at least it gives a possibility to players like myself to upgrade their gear and get into ops groups to proceed further..

Or the game could chose not to attend this and eventually lose customers..

Edited by skywave

EV, EC, KP, S&V, TfB

tried a few in SM and supposedly my gear is not good enough for HM, which I agree.. not enough omph to chip in my part..

EV, KP, and EC are level 50 Ops, so you are more than geared for those in story or hard mode. The weekly of completing these on HM should get you the comms to buy the next level of gear though.

I kind of forget what rating 156 equates to on mod level... But, if that is what is listed as the minimum for SM version of the operation, you should be okay. The recommended minimum gear rating is listed under the mission information for the weekly for each Op.

Now, there could be other issues as well. If you spent all your time leveling solo, it could be a rotation issue. I know I didn't really pay attention to my skill rotation and such before I started getting into group content at end game.

But, if you are geared at the minimum for SM, then any gear that drops there should be an upgrade for you. Do you run the 55 HMs? Those should have gear upgrades for you as well.

Alrighty GatorAndy - good stuff :)

I will try and be more insisting in joining groups - I have held back because I see most players joing those groups with 30-40k health and I'm around 27k myself. My slots are almost filled with '66' + augments so I'm surprised how people can have such high health compared (I understand that they might have much higher than '66'). OK I do not go for endurance - I go for statistical stats found online, which gives me lower health but stats close to the ones advised in numerous online fora..

Anyway thanks for taking time to pitch in - appreciated..

Cheers

Phinion - errr what is your comment supposed to do in this discussion? You as well as others fail to see the essence of this post, you just blabber away without seeing the topic.

Grouping up with people is not the issue, as well as having enough time is not the issue. It is a fact that there are plenty of solo players who are not able to progress with their gear because they are not accepted in pugs due to too low stats. To help those players getting a foot inside the ops groups I think it would be beneficial to the game if there would be a way - make it hard if needed, no problem there - but at least it gives a possibility to players like myself to upgrade their gear and get into ops groups to proceed further..

Or the game could chose not to attend this and eventually lose customers..

You are not accepted into pugs due to low gear due to your trying to skip out on the older ops. The game has the operations progress with gear as well as crafting to help you skip, or assist with missing pieces, and move on to the next ops. You are trying to jump right to the end and skipping the steps in between. Those steps are there and, as a later poster pointed out, you simply did not know which ops dropped what gear to upgrade your toon to be able to do the next ops in line. Start with KP, EC and EV and work from there.

Basically, your blabbering about a system that is already in place and you choose not to grind for credits to buy the gear to get you into the ops you wanted and you are uniformed about which ops need to be done to be able to run the next ops. Can't blame me or anyone else for your failure to see what the designers have been doing. That failure lies with you. Grind for gear in the older ops groups and move your way up like everyone else did, save your coms to buy gear or stop being a scrooge and spend the credits.

Moral of the story ( thread? ) ...

Research before posting threads like this. Dulfy.net pretty much as heverything you need to know about current gear ,operations, flashpoints etc. etc.

If in doubt ask in new player help or in chat in game, not basically complain in a suggestion section.

I'm newer than most players ( think I've been playing 4-5 months now ) and I've found I understand things better ( and can play better ) than players playing for years. So noone can say the information isn't out there and very easy to find, you just have to use some initiative ( not the enhancement! ) and find it. =D

I agree, that solo players need to be able to find a way to craft higher level mods, surely there must be an equitable way for solo players to be able to make these things through crafting. A lot of people play on their own, I'm very much like the OP, I'm my guild and I hve 7 55's and 15 other alts ranging from teens to 50's. I'd like to be able to make those things for myself and my alts, just so that I feel like I'm up to par for doing things.

I don't think anyone should be forced in to Ops to achieve the best gear. Ops require several consecutive and devoted hours of spare time -- a commodity typically not possessed by those with real-word commitments such as work. It doesn't seem fair to treat some players as second-class citizens because they are unable to allocate a chunk of their day entirely to an online game. Some of us need to be interruptible.

My point is, for some players Ops can be extremely inconvenient to the point of being an impossible method for achieving equipment, should there not be an alternative, or are Hard Mode FPs always going to be the limit?

I opened the post in good faith, meant to be for the developers to have a look into what obstacles there could be in the game.

I did not open the post to have self-righteous, patronizing, lecturing brag-heads inform me of things I already know.

There were indeed valid advise from several players, which I can use and work on, thank you for that. Good to see that some folks really can 'speak' in a decent and constructive language on the inet, opposed to some folks who barges in scolding and lecturing..

I have no more interest in this thread, so I shall refrain from commenting any further..