General theme for each tree?

BardMedicine

I am not looking for a guide or the UB3RPWNZ build, I like to do my own. However, what is the general theme or flavor of each of the three trees? Previously, I haven't had to think about this decision much as I chose based on the role I wanted to fill (healer or tank or damage) or the theme of a tree was clear from the name. For the sentinel trees, the names seem pretty vague. Looking up the trees, I don't know what the skills are, so it's hard to get a feel for them.

I am old school and don;t care for respeccing, so I try to go with a build and stick with it for as long as I can.

As a very basic outline, Watchman is about DoTs and keeping up a self-buff, Combat is about watching for procs and lining them up for maximum effect, and Focus is about AoEs, particularly Force Sweep(you will sometimes see them referred to as Smash Monkeys, due to the Marauder mirror ability Smash). There is of course a lot more to each, but those are what I think of as the themes.

• 4 weeks later...

Watchman is highest dps, but lowest burst and depends on keeping your rotation. It is best for pve and worst for pvp since in pvp you easily lose your buff stacks and you lose dps. also this spec relies on dots and they can be cleansed easily crippling your damage.

Combat is a moderate dps and good burst spec. It has a lot of utility for pvp (like faster transcendence and roots) and has a very nice single target burst . It's okay for pve but is worse than watchman.

Focus is okay for pve although it is lower than the other two. It is a very good pvp spec since it has amazing burst and aoe instant damage but there are certain classes that counter it (have 30% aoe reduction from talents) making it weaker versus some setups. If you are leveling I don't recommend Focus since it starts doing good on the higher levels.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.