Should I ever be using missile blast?

Ogrejr

Sup. New merc here. LOVE the class. The playstyle is awesome and I love being a kick *** Boba Fett wannabe.

Just noticed, while doing Athiss, that my Missile Blast doing about 100 less damage than my "auto attack" ability. And costs Heat.

Is there something I'm missing here, or is really just a terrible ability?

If my target is close to death wouldn't it just be better to rapid shot? Does more damage for me, at the moment at least, and generates no heat.

Also, I'm a complete noob to this game/class. What's "regen range"?

If my target is close to death wouldn't it just be better to rapid shot? Does more damage for me, at the moment at least, and generates no heat.

Also, I'm a complete noob to this game/class. What's "regen range"?

The only way rapid shots does more damage is in CGC when you proc the DoT.

Missile Blast, for me anyways, is capable of totaling ~3k damage on crits. Sometimes your target is running away and you only have 1 GCD left to take down their last few thousand health, and Rapid Shots isnt going to do it. Missile Blast is a great way to finish a target that is fleeing from you.

When I say regen range, I mean the different regen rates that Merc Heat management has. Of the top of my head I do not recall the exact ranges, but if you have 15 heat you are going to regen faster than if you are at 60 heat. My recommendation is to not use Missile Blast ever unless a) your target is the only opponent around and will likely die from the damage it deals or b) your heat is less than 25.

I have to admit I probably over use it... I'll sometimes fire it just after I fire an unload or HSM just for the extra burst on a healer... I know it's heat inefficient but on good healer players I want the extra burst.

I also use it when I'm being chased by melee and power override and HSM are on cool down. I'll alternate rapid shots and missile blast to keep pressure on the pursuer.

I'll also fire it at cappers that's probably it's best use...

Edited by Choffware

I have to admit I probably over use it... I'll sometimes fire it just after I fire an unload or HSM just for the extra burst on a healer... I know it's heat inefficient but on good healer players I want the extra burst.

I also use it when I'm being chased by melee and power override and HSM are on cool down. I'll alternate rapid shots and missile blast to keep pressure on the pursuer.

I'll also fire it at cappers that's probably it's best use...

It's good against snipers in cover specially with their 30% damage reduction ability. Ballistic dampeners when you don't set up a ranged burst combo that hits at the same time. Also good to finish off operatives who pop evasion, or while running away from an assassin who has deflection pop.

Because it's tech, and rapid shots won't do much against these guys in these situations. Just be smart and manage your energy properly.

Like almost every merc skill I use it situationally... it's too much heat for too little damage but when you are in a situation where you need to apply damage and need to stay moving to do it... Missile Blast away. if you can afford the heat.. awesome for targets that are almost dead and running as others stated before.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.