Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Best sin/shadow spec for pvp: tank in dps gear or infiltration/ deception ?

Pathlight-

I'm having trouble deciding which would be better for pvp. I'm looking for opinions from other classes. According to your warzone experiences, which spec do you find more desirable on your team and which do you have more trouble beating in 1v1: infiltration/deception shadow/sin or tank spec in dps gear ?

Personally, I enjoy and thrive with 0/31/15.

Those tank/tank hybrids bring a pull to the table, other than that; nothing imho. Just fluff damage compared to 0/31/15.

Yes but don't they also have much superior survivability ?

You did not say if you are asking for:

- outworld PvP

- WZ PvP

- RWZ PvP

Infiltration with DPS gear is excellent in the first 2, usually you don't even get taking in RWZ with it though.

Tank spec is somewhat the "group friendly" spec, people expect you to be a pull bot (expecially in Huttball) / node guard bot.

Basically inf spec is the fun spec, tank spec is "what everyone else wants".

If you played ret pala or feral druid in WoW you'll know what I mean: they could solo well and be much fun but many had some heavy stigma against them, expecially among the top guilds.

Tank in DPS gear is the one "viable" competitive configuration: you WILL be useless as tank in tank gear because nobody wants you to "main PvP tank" because of the RNG factor that also makes shadows unviable in top PVE. You WILL be not liked as DPS in DPS gear because ALL assume you WILL waste your playtime AFK guarding nodes (and even in normal WZ they will tell you loudly that if you don't play node bot).

So, go DPS gear for fun, outworld ganking and regular WZs, be a bot everywhere else. That's SWTOR role for you, have a great journey with that.

You did not say if you are asking for:

- outworld PvP

- WZ PvP

- RWZ PvP

Infiltration with DPS gear is excellent in the first 2, usually you don't even get taking in RWZ with it though.

Tank spec is somewhat the "group friendly" spec, people expect you to be a pull bot (expecially in Huttball) / node guard bot.

Basically inf spec is the fun spec, tank spec is "what everyone else wants".

If you played ret pala or feral druid in WoW you'll know what I mean: they could solo well and be much fun but many had some heavy stigma against them, expecially among the top guilds.

Tank in DPS gear is the one "viable" competitive configuration: you WILL be useless as tank in tank gear because nobody wants you to "main PvP tank" because of the RNG factor that also makes shadows unviable in top PVE. You WILL be not liked as DPS in DPS gear because ALL assume you WILL waste your playtime AFK guarding nodes (and even in normal WZ they will tell you loudly that if you don't play node bot).

So, go DPS gear for fun, outworld ganking and regular WZs, be a bot everywhere else. That's SWTOR role for you, have a great journey with that.

Thanks, I'm specifically looking for feedback regarding regs and rwz. I have been playing kinetic combat with dps gear for some time and loving it but I'm seriously considering switching to infil as it looks tons more fun and I'm bored to tears with guarding nodes.

Looks like infil/deception is fun but less beneficial to the group. Guess I'll try it for a while and see how it goes.

I'm having trouble deciding which would be better for pvp. I'm looking for opinions from other classes. According to your warzone experiences, which spec do you find more desirable on your team and which do you have more trouble beating in 1v1: infiltration/deception shadow/sin or tank spec in dps gear ?

Between deception and tank I'd say the best spec for a sin to use in pvp is either agent or warrior. :rolleyes:

I usually run a Inf/Balance hybrid(2/31/13), because it's fun after a year+ of running KC and it's various hybrids. Sometimes I will respec full tank on my Rep toon for node guarding, voidstar, or huttball, but most of the time I prefer the DPS build. Edited by RGMetal

I am interested in more info as I do not think it is very viable. First and foremost, you don't even have kineitic bullwark to actually take advantage fully of the Kinetic Ward. In addition, the shield chance will be so low in DPS gear that you will be long dead before you mitigate relevant damage. Maybe I am missing something and I would love to hear more about this spec.

I use this and this. For some reason, the latter drains force fast in long battle.

preffer my full 36 deception sin with variation of slow skills instaed of extra 6% on maul (to kill that pesky non sorc healers-slow 12 seconds is more then enouth to kill one-no operative/scoundrel will roll on me) sadly, every time I go in I'm forced to guard a node... 'hey, u'r assassin, my friend assassin is tank so he will guard healers, you go node' - ofc that assassin ends with zero protection most of a time...

it's good 1vs1 even if you can't open with stealth, slow makes sure no one will escape you, and if you see being focused, vanish and spike + maul who ever seems most annoying. dps hybrid was viable pre 2.0, woulndn't call it tree cutter now. just keep in mind counter so you don't lowslash and spike to close to each other, such a waste, but a maul + force potency discharch + shock + another maul soo enouth can kill most of enemies, and if he still lives, low slash (or spike, depends how you open) + another maul :)

you can hybrid tank for ball carrying (using sneak as another def cooldown, maximizing surivivability but leaving 'pull into fire' your hardset hitter), but it's hardly epic for anything else. (with guarding nodes you preffer to keep wither as aoe interrupt with discharge).

sorry if I mixed some terminology.

Edited by Atramar

I am interested in more info as I do not think it is very viable. First and foremost, you don't even have kineitic bullwark to actually take advantage fully of the Kinetic Ward. In addition, the shield chance will be so low in DPS gear that you will be long dead before you mitigate relevant damage. Maybe I am missing something and I would love to hear more about this spec.

I use this and this. For some reason, the latter drains force fast in long battle.

I played this for a bit, i think it could be viable as an off tank / node guard spec. Your shield chance isn't that low with the 15% from dark ward, plus you get the aoe damage reduction and blackout damage reduction from the deception tree.

I'd estimate that the damage is between 10% and 20% lower than full deception, and you get guard instead.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I finally decided to play a sin with this build (thanks Leafy_bug).

I will leave my shadow on the back burner for now and start fresh so as to take the time to learn the spec properly and play an imp char since I usually play on the rep side.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I finally decided to play a sin with this build (thanks Leafy_bug).

I will leave my shadow on the back burner for now and start fresh so as to take the time to learn the spec properly and play an imp char since I usually play on the rep side.

You are welcome. I started experimenting with that build when bioware changed infiltration and its triggering. A note of warning, it does not have a lot of survivability and you need to make use of blind spots/ los if you attack someone with better survivability than you. It is the burstiest spec on an infiltration shadow and if you get 22 crit 75 surge all out power, your target will die in a few seconds. Ofc 95-97 accuracy as well. 7k breaches will be normal. A few days later after testing this, I saw Xinika posting it in her thread.

I played this for a bit, i think it could be viable as an off tank / node guard spec. Your shield chance isn't that low with the 15% from dark ward, plus you get the aoe damage reduction and blackout damage reduction from the deception tree.

I'd estimate that the damage is between 10% and 20% lower than full deception, and you get guard instead.

We end up guarding nodes either way I'm afraid. In hypergates, they see me, nobody goes to the pylon. In alderaan, they expect me to go west. So no matter the spec, Shadows are relegated to guarding. As infiltration is getting closer to ataru, I hope bioware gives armour penetration and something like 'Shadow's Prowess' where Spinning strike triggers on a 20s timer and can be used an every target.

Edited by Leafy_Bug

I would suggest dropping 2-3 skill points from shadow mark and/or Nerve Wracking to get 12s slow on 6s cooldown (subdoing techniques) and maybe humbling strike. you lose a bit of damage from opener, but you gain a very useful slow on long duration and will help you with merc/mando and operative/scoundrel healers.

I would suggest dropping 2-3 skill points from shadow mark and/or Nerve Wracking to get 12s slow on 6s cooldown (subdoing techniques) and maybe humbling strike. you lose a bit of damage from opener, but you gain a very useful slow on long duration and will help you with merc/mando and operative/scoundrel healers.

I found that it is more of a resolve filler than actual benefit. I have experimented with that as well and it is not worth it. Those skills need to be replaced on the shadow as they are wasted points.

I found that it is more of a resolve filler than actual benefit. I have experimented with that as well and it is not worth it. Those skills need to be replaced on the shadow as they are wasted points.

yeah, you hitt less noticly, and need to keep in mind not to use potency+slow (I know, lol), but after many PUGS and me being only one pounding that healer, my only hope was to slow him down (specially , since with pvp bonus you get more ranged slow by 5 more meters if I remember correctly)

when you look on bigger picture, you hardly lose more then 2% total dps, (either 4% on maul on 6% on target affected by spike/stun) while you gain constant slow.

but it's a matter of self I guess. nothing 'omg you gotta have it'. personal prefference.

yeah, you hitt less noticly, and need to keep in mind not to use potency+slow (I know, lol), but after many PUGS and me being only one pounding that healer, my only hope was to slow him down (specially , since with pvp bonus you get more ranged slow by 5 more meters if I remember correctly)

when you look on bigger picture, you hardly lose more then 2% total dps, (either 4% on maul on 6% on target affected by spike/stun) while you gain constant slow.

but it's a matter of self I guess. nothing 'omg you gotta have it'. personal prefference.

If I am trully honest, you have better chance with your ataru sentinel to obliterate a healer. I am sorry to say but in the current state of the game, one infiltration shadow will not be able to kill a good healer. With ataru, roots, healling trauma debuff etc, Maybe we need a healling trauma debuff as shadows?

If I am trully honest, you have better chance with your ataru sentinel to obliterate a healer. I am sorry to say but in the current state of the game, one infiltration shadow will not be able to kill a good healer. With ataru, roots, healling trauma debuff etc, Maybe we need a healling trauma debuff as shadows?

please no more buttons. but I wouldn't mind trading slow for trauma (or adding trauma to slow? like sniper armor dubff+trauma?)

but I'm thinking of dropping my assassin for some other DPS, either sniper(mm) or marauder(either carange or anni).

one side I'm tired of being predesigned node guarder, other side I woulnd't mind some real action dps :D

You are welcome. I started experimenting with that build when bioware changed infiltration and its triggering. A note of warning, it does not have a lot of survivability and you need to make use of blind spots/ los if you attack someone with better survivability than you. It is the burstiest spec on an infiltration shadow and if you get 22 crit 75 surge all out power, your target will die in a few seconds. Ofc 95-97 accuracy as well. 7k breaches will be normal. A few days later after testing this, I saw Xinika posting it in her thread.

Could you please tell me how much more tangible damage you do speccing 2 points in expertise vs not speccing into it?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.