So BW... All that's been said is that 2.4 will be "EXCITING"... and now THIS?!

MrJurgens

PvP is just the same people running the same WZs against the same people over and over and over, using the same tactics over and over and over. Like PvE, the only surprises come when someone messes up.

PvE is pointless in an online game.

This post carries some merit. I mean like yeah, if I wanted to PvE I'd go buy a single-player game.

:rolleyes:

If I wanted to PvP, I'd play AvP on my home network with my friends. There is a reason why I don't PvP in games like this. I didn't PvP in City of Heroes either. Mainly because most of the PvPers, in any MMO that I have participated in, have been rude and insulting to most everyone else not in their little clique. I haven't really seen much on the forums here to lead me to think that the general PvPer here is any different. Feel free to prove me wrong, if you can.

If I wanted to PvP, I'd play AvP on my home network with my friends. There is a reason why I don't PvP in games like this. I didn't PvP in City of Heroes either. Mainly because most of the PvPers, in any MMO that I have participated in, have been rude and insulting to most everyone else not in their little clique. I haven't really seen much on the forums here to lead me to think that the general PvPer here is any different. Feel free to prove me wrong, if you can.

I don't have to prove you wrong. The same thing can be said about PvE'ers. Most of them look down upon PvP, but that's really because they can't do it. Some I've seen admit that they suck at it, which is why they don't do it. Doesn't mean they hate it, but the general consensus on these forums is that most of them don't like it and put down PvP'ers and their viewpoints on these forums.

You're forgetting the "It was a poor choice of words" as the excuse for the over-hype. (You can call it over-hype, but really it's just being lied to. Repeatedly.)

Well, in this case, we're still weeks away from 2.4. They have yet to reveal more info, but with what they've revealed now I'm very doubtful about 2.4

This post carries some merit. I mean like yeah, if I wanted to PvE I'd go buy a single-player game.

Bananamuffin has a point and so do you. You're selling PvE short. Tackling challenges with a group of friends is fun. Even if its not challenging. Some people would say standing in parking lot with your friends is boring. But if you're talking, laughing and having fun...?

That said, PvP needs something major. I seem to remember BW's D$@K being hard about how many Warzones were being played when the game came out. They obviously don't want all the PvPer's to leave. Honestly, I don't think they can afford that. I just think they don't know what direction to go in, honestly.

There are so much pointless posts on this thread, first of all, there is A LOT of players that still play PVP, and PVP doesn't work like this: WZ> FINISH > WZ > FINISH > WZ > FINISH, it doesn't work like that, there is duels, world pvp and warzones.

I am a PVP/PVE player, i don't know if you guys are saying this because bioware is going to kill PVP in the upcoming patch, but a lot of players still does PVP.

Edited by Shakrra

I don't have to prove you wrong. The same thing can be said about PvE'ers. Most of them look down upon PvP, but that's really because they can't do it. Some I've seen admit that they suck at it, which is why they don't do it. Doesn't mean they hate it, but the general consensus on these forums is that most of them don't like it and put down PvP'ers and their viewpoints on these forums.

There are losers in each PvE and PvP. The difference is that the losers in PvP can ruin the experience for everyone around them. It's really hard for anyone to grief anyone else in PvE, especially in Star Wars: The Easy Republic.

Bananamuffin has a point and so do you. You're selling PvE short. Tackling challenges with a group of friends is fun. Even if its not challenging. Some people would say standing in parking lot with your friends is boring. But if you're talking, laughing and having fun...?

That said, PvP needs something major. I seem to remember BW's D$@K being hard about how many Warzones were being played when the game came out. They obviously don't want all the PvPer's to leave. Honestly, I don't think they can afford that. I just think they don't know what direction to go in, honestly.

Bioware is selling PvE short.

- 99% of it is designed to have zero chance of beating an appropriately levelled character.

- All class weaknesses are countered by Companions, making any class a god.

- AI would be considered "basic"... if this were 1985 and TOR was on a C-64.

- Ability bloat means every player has too many ways to do exactly the same thing. Over-complicating a combat system that is primarily "Hulk smash!".

- Combat pacing is too fast for an RPG. Suspense, tactics, cooperation, and variety in PvE were all thrown out to accommodate the speed and pace of console games and shooters.

If the baby-safe PvE in TOR had been a hit, I'd say more power to 'em, but it wasn't a hit, so why not try and change it up?

- 99% of it is designed to have zero chance of beating an appropriately levelled character.

- Ability bloat means every player has too many ways to do exactly the same thing. Over-complicating a combat system that is primarily "Hulk smash!".

- Combat pacing is too fast for an RPG. Suspense, tactics, cooperation, and variety in PvE were all thrown out to accommodate the speed and pace of console games and shooters.

If the baby-safe PvE in TOR had been a hit, I'd say more power to 'em, but it wasn't a hit, so why not try and change it up?

How do you think it could be improved? I'm not one for PvE but I've never seen anyone on these boards criticize PvE, well... like that. :p

How do you think it could be improved? I'm not one for PvE but I've never seen anyone on these boards criticize PvE, well... like that. :p

It needs blown up and rebuilt.

EQ and Vanguard had awesome PvE, though mostly group centered. CoX had very well-balanced PvE that worked either solo or in groups of varying size. They would do well to copy the PvE balance of any or all of those.

Those games weren't perfect either. But the PvE in all of them blew the doors off the TOR version. You don't have to copy the bad parts of those games, just the good parts.

It needs blown up and rebuilt.

EQ and Vanguard had awesome PvE, though mostly group centered. CoX had very well-balanced PvE that worked either solo or in groups of varying size. They would do well to copy the PvE balance of any or all of those.

Those games weren't perfect either. But the PvE in all of them blew the doors off the TOR version. You don't have to copy the bad parts of those games, just the good parts.

Ahh, I understand your argument now. The reason why I think that group PvE content is so lame in this game is because most of it is just about the "Story". You have companions that make the content feel like the level of difficulty is on "laughable", and it's just boring fetch and killing quests.

IMO, they focused WAY too much on the cinematics. I rarely know ANYONE that bothers to listen to them.

What are you talking about, almost everyone left is here because of the Story & Star Wars experience. The mmo locusts have long ago moved on and most everyone left is here because they like the things this game focuses on, such as the fully voiced quests. Go check out that other thread if you don't believe people care about watching the story.

Now for anyone who is a PvP fan, 2.4 is going to be an absolute landslide of content compared to all previous patches. It's got more coming for PvP than I had anticipated with MULTIPLE new maps in a NEW 4x4 playstyle. Also we've already been told that RANKED is going to get improved and there's even new gear if that's something you enjoy. Given that many of us were here in 1.0 and saw that the engine couldn't handle large scale pvp, I can't imagine what anyone had in their head about 2.4 that would beat what's been described. Yesterday was a great day for PvP.

Here's some options:

1) run content at a lower level than you do now. I see you say "appropriately leveled character" but those suggestions are for newcomers to the MMO genre, not veterans.

2) put your companion away

3) wear lower quality gear

4) solo 2's and 4's

5) re-roll on a new server so you don't have all the legacy benefits

I guarantee you can find an appropriate challenge mode if you do some of those.