Naming and "legacy" names... is it as stupid as it seems?

Feskitt

OMG. Such problems over a freaking LAST NAME??

Many MMO's don't even let you have last names

Deal with the system as it is

Geesh

IDK, as I've only played 3 MMO's. (STO, Fallen Earth, CO)

All of them allowed you to make whatever name you wanted.

But you're right, it's no big deal... and since it's no big deal, it should have been no big deal to allow multiple names in game, should it?

Edited by Feskitt

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you cannot make a last name at character creation. It is like WoW, AOC, CO, and others that way

When you get your Legacy Name, you can assign a last name to be used to IDENTIFY all your characters and for them to all owrk on your Legacy Level to open new options.

You can display it as Feskit LegacyName

or Feskit of the LegacyName Legacy

or NOT AT ALL

This si how it is. Deal with it

I see. That's unfortunate.

BTW, I've played CO, and you can make surnames, or multiple names there. (haven't played WoW or AoC, so can't say)

Edited by Feskitt

Let me explain the blatantly obvious to you about how that is less choice.

You say, how is it less choice now that all of your characters are part of the same legacy with the same last name, why should you prevent that?

I say, All of my characters, of different races, species, factions, planets etc. who are all contemporaries in the same time line and don't know eachother ARENT part of the same legacy, or same family to have the same last name.

As most people do, we want our characters to be able to have different last names from one another and still be fully formed characters in their own right.

Not having that is LESS than if you had it.

Thanks to your sig I see the REAL problem here

This is NOT SWG2

The Legacy System is meant to identify your characters as YOUR CHARACTERS and is a non-rp related system.

Nothing says that just because my character has the name Keryth over his head that his last name is my legacy name. If I want to sue the Legacy name as Keryth's last name I can, otherwise, I don;t have to

The critic against this is utterly childish, as there's an option to turn it off. It's used to "mark" your characters as yours. For example, I choose to name a character on a specific server "Starborn", thus all my characters on that server will be a member of the "The Starborn Legacy". It's not flawed at all, and in time it'll enable you to unlock cool stuffs. It's a way to tie your main and alts together.

So... What's the problem... REALLY??

Sorry for the interruption: Heyas Starborn. Corellian Run Starborn? Lockhart Legacy here; we've teamed on a couple toons. ;-) Sending a friend request.

PERFECT place to ask cause I can't seem to get an answer. If my main gets to choose a legacy name...does it AUTOMATICALLY tag over to my higher level (teens, 20's etc.) alts? Or does it ONLY affect NEW characters I make from there on out on that server?

Example: My Sith Assassin picks the Legacy surname...does my level 24 Imp. Agent get tagged with the surname immediately as well? Thanks!

The legacy system by itself is fine as a way to tie all your characters together in a form of overall progression and allowing you to identify that way or not as you please.

The problem is in it being a poor substitute for having a more flexible last name system. And there is really no reason why they can't do both. Allow people to choose non unique surnames to attach to their character. This doesn't need to interfere with the existing legacy name system. If people want to use regular surnames, great. If they wish to use their legacy name as a surname great. If they want to use both, why not, lots of people regularly use 3 names publicly.

This really doesn't need to be an either or thing.

This is the whole point. Thank you.

I have no idea how anyone can argue against that.

PERFECT place to ask cause I can't seem to get an answer. If my main gets to choose a legacy name...does it AUTOMATICALLY tag over to my higher level (teens, 20's etc.) alts? Or does it ONLY affect NEW characters I make from there on out on that server?

Example: My Sith Assassin picks the Legacy surname...does my level 24 Imp. Agent get tagged with the surname immediately as well? Thanks!

All toons on that server, old or new. You can have different Legacy names on different servers, though.

But, for instance, the eight I have on Corellian Run? They are all surnamed Lockhart or are "of the Lockhart Legacy" but my Helm of Graush or Whitebeam Run toons do have a legacy (yet).

Edited by myrdinn

Correct. It's not. But last names are. Why would you combine a RP feature and a non-RP feature when the proper functioning of each interferes with the other?

It's NOT an RP function

You can use it as one if oyu so choose.

It is no different from CO and STO identifying your toon as Keryth@keryth.com

Seriously, people are making such a big deal out of nothing

All toons on that server, old or new. You can have different Legacy names on different servers, though.

But, for instance, the eight I have on Corellian Run? They are all surnamed Lockhart or are "of the Lockhart Legacy."

Thank you so much. It's been a nightmare trying to get clarification on that. How are the 'additional' character customization options after you unlock the LEgacy name? Can you elaborate on it?

Thanks to your sig I see the REAL problem here

This is NOT SWG2

The Legacy System is meant to identify your characters as YOUR CHARACTERS and is a non-rp related system.

Nothing says that just because my character has the name Keryth over his head that his last name is my legacy name. If I want to sue the Legacy name as Keryth's last name I can, otherwise, I don;t have to

Oh, so "Keryth" is NOT his last name? Then what is?

Oh, so it is "Keryth?" So now, every character on that server has the same "last name?"

See the problem?

I am a bit upset about this as well. Had I known about the titles and legacy system ahead of time I'd simply had named my character Face, legacy name Smasher, and earned the title Darth.

Now I am going to be running around as Darth Darthfacesmasher Smasher with my title and legacy name.

When can we buy name changes

Kinda dont feel bad when you choose such a toolish name and a toolish way to sneak a last name in.

Thank you so much. It's been a nightmare trying to get clarification on that. How are the 'additional' character customization options after you unlock the LEgacy name? Can you elaborate on it?

Not so much as of yet; mostly it says that "more options are incoming." I unlocked it last Friday... and work's been a pain since. ;)

Plus, Helm of Graush is a pvp server, and I was working on those toons there after I unlocked on Corellian Run (which is a pve server).

It's NOT an RP function

You can use it as one if oyu so choose.

It is no different from CO and STO identifying your toon as Keryth@keryth.com

Seriously, people are making such a big deal out of nothing

It's different because in STO or CO, you can actually give your characters multiple names.

Did you know that?

A simple solution if you don't like the legacy system is to pretend the game has no surnames (like a number of MMO's) and don't use the legacy system. Meanwhile the rest of us here will appreciate the fact that bioware is trying something new and will embrace the idea of our characters sharing a sort of bond.

Different race characters would not and should not be forced to share the same last name. What are my human, Sith pureblood, Zabrak, etc. characters supposed to be brothers or something? It makes NO sense. It does not fit in with Star Wars canon, period. They can easily have a legacy system without displaying any name or title, it can work completely in the background. Tying it to the last name is totally unnecessary, it should be a separate thing altogether.

Oh, so "Keryth" is NOT his last name? Then what is?

Oh, so it is "Keryth?" So now, every character on that server has the same "last name?"

See the problem?

No, Keryth is not his last name. Its the characters name

I can use my Legacy Name as his if I want to, or I can use something else when I RP the toon.

Guess you've never played in an MMO where there is no last name before

The system is clearly about linking alts and main together, thus they need to have a "legacy" name. I will repeat once again, if you're role playing, why would you care what stands above your character, considering it doesn't exist. This isn't a roleplaying function, and surname certainly ain't necessary in a game like this. You have plenty of "choices" to make with the standard name-creation tool.

Established Star Wars lore creates fully fleged characters with two names not one. This should be no different.

Let me ask you this: What is your problem with a legacy system that does NOT include forcing people to use the same last name for all characters.

Why exactly would you be against such a system, when as, as been already pointed out, you aren't forced to use the last name or legacy title anyway.

There is no credible points I've seen against unlinking the two, and just excuses for why the two should be linked.

It's different because in STO or CO, you can actually give your characters multiple names.

Did you know that?

No, you can;t.

I've played both.

When I create my toon, and name her Hecate, thats her name in CO

I can;t then have her have another name that is her secret identity, outside of RPing that

Same with STO.

Established Star Wars lore creates fully fleged characters with two names not one. This should be no different.

Let me ask you this: What is your problem with a legacy system that does NOT include forcing people to use the same last name for all characters.

Why exactly would you be against such a system, when as, as been already pointed out, you aren't forced to use the last name or legacy title anyway.

There is no credible points I've seen against unlinking the two, and just excuses for why the two should be linked.

Becuase it is your LEGACY name, not your LAST NAME

Bioware has given you the option of using it as your surname if you want to

And your assumption about Star Wars Lore and Last names is a fallacy. What was Yoda's last name? Chewbacca's? How about Darth Maul's?

SWG is NOT established Star Wars lore, please stop assuming it is.

What's in a name?

You can have a different last name and still be part of a specific legacy. It happens all the time both fictionally and in non-fictionally. Padame never took on the Skywalker name. Leia is Organa, yet she is definitely part of the Skywalker legacy.

All the popes carry a legacy name, which is completely different from their birth name. Royalty has always carried a similar tradition. People are welcomed to the royal family and then carry the family's legacy.

If your issues are with role playing, I see this as only adding to the RP experience.

I can understand not having a last name field as an option (even though you can just write in a custom last name as you want and change your legacy label to be "of the" or off), but that's no reason to rage over this.

Edited by Proggy