To avoid a bad launch they cause a bad launch

darthbored

Qishari

Today , 10:15 PM

Hello everyone!

We have completed the Early Access waves for today, and will post another thread regarding waves tomorrow when they begin. We encourage you to express your thoughts, but ask that you please observe the forum guidlines when posting.

Thank you!

LOL Sounds like a WoW GM response IMO. Then BOOM thread is closed- rofl

Edited by Konosbaby

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

BioWare Engineer 1: "Hey how can we stress test our new forums?"

BioWare Engineer 2: "Lets push out 'air quote' waves of invites and not give any info out"

BioWare Engineer 1: "Man, that would piss a lot of people off though, do we rea.... OHhhhhh I see what you did there....Make it so number 3"

:wea_03::wea_03:

Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out.

And it was a stupid way of doing business for literally months.

And yet, almost every successful business does it that way.

Do you push people out of their place in line at Wal-Mart and tell them it's not fair that they get to pay first just cause they got in line first?

Today has truly made me sad and cynical, and on levels far beyond some stupid game.

I am sad that this is what we gamers are: a million-member pile of entitled spoiled brats yelling at McDonalds because they served someone in the front of the line before us.

I'm truthfully saddened.

Will you be my new BFF?

I'm almost glad this game is so solo able because the community sucks

Anyone who wants to talk about how horrible this launch was needs to show some credentials showing they have been on staff of a major online game during its launch or a gaming journalist for a major publication during the same. Otherwise, you have no idea what you're talking about.

From a technical stand point the launch seems to be going fairly smooth. However from a customer relations stand point it is indeed one of the worst Ive ever seen. Eliminating the grace period resulting in a massive push on retailers to try to get the game out earlier, and now "multiple waves through out the day" meaning a few invites in the morning then nothing until tomorrow. Many things should have been communicated and done better the whole sit at you computer and pray you get into early access is just insulting as well.

To be honest there is a lot of people on both sides... Some can wait and Some that can Not wait. I do think the there is A LOT more people that want you to continue to wave people in.

The reality is that you are not going to keep waving people in and how many people will you piss off in doing so. This worries me cause that WILL drive people away and for me that is bad cause I want to play this game.

I am going to wait, I am not happy about it, but not at the point were I want to cancel. But please do not continue to do things like this as it WILL kill this game. And we both do NOT want that.

Well its not crashing and they are having more uptime than downtime so I give them that, but still they haven't even invited all of first months preorders LOL. So In that way its an epic fail, but hey THE SERVERS ARE UP.

Yet only those who pre-ordered from July21 to July 27 have access.

That's 6 days.... They've got 120 more days of pre-orders to hand out.

I do & this has been the worst out of them all. RIFT/DCUO being the smoothest.

I will probably have to avoid these forums, the people complaining is just pathetic. Wahh about this and that. Sad really.

Great Job Bioware, thanks for giving us extra days to play this game.

Edited by GeneralBurnsides

Sup you whining moron.

I got my early game access email today and I'm purposefully not joining in. I, unfortunately, have better, more important things to do with my life. See you all in game, in February, after my exams.

Peace.

Yeah but you got to save your names which is the only issue I have with this staggered Launch. I was one of those screwed over by Gamestop Pre-orders on the 21st. I did not even intend to preorder when I went in, I was just browsing for a new game to play and was pleasantly surprised to see I could preorder for a Star Wars MMO. I knew nothing about the game but pre-ordered the CE since it was Bioware's rep. I unfortunately did not get my code until August 8th and was on camping trip when it arrived so I did not get it in until August 10th.

So I am annoyed at not being able to save 1 name for myself. This should have been done like guild launch so the special 100k people that got in today could not steal 4 to 8 names from the community by saving them on alts that most likely will never be played.

Staggered approach is a good idea, EA/Bioware executed it poorly.

I hope to get in sometime this week just to save a name to enjoy with folks from my community who will be playing together. The rest of you can rush past content and escape cutscenes to be the first to have nothing to do at endgame waiting for everyone else.

Edited by RendoKarn

And yet, almost every successful business does it that way.

Do you push people out of their place in line at Wal-Mart and tell them it's not fair that they get to pay first just cause they got in line first?

Thats a stupid analogy, we are talking about something we payed for already, not something we are waiting in line to pay for. I have stood in line for over an hour to buy concert tickets, and then had to stand in line a week later again to get in to the concert, Thats how things go. I'd prefer to wait in a 2 hour queue knowing eventually I will get in on day one, than to sit here with absolutely no idea when I will get in.

I think what is the worst part is not the fact that it may be a day, or two, or even three, until I get in, it's not knowing at all when it will happen.

it's bad because this is probably the worst way to launch any game, let alone an MMO where you're at an increasing disadvantage the longer you wait. Reward players who have the most money and luck and **** on people who had to wait a couple of weeks or had their codes lost by incompetent retailers.. or both.

^ This

It's not a bad launch since people aren't commenting that the servers are crashing and no one can log in. It's just self entitled folks who believe that they are the most important people in the world and therefor deserve to be let in on the first day of head start. I didn't get in, so you know what I do? Other stuff.