36/3/7 Sharpshooter Guide [UPDATED]

SamuelAU

compare average skill damages.

Is this supposed to be like that because I experience the exact same problem.

After reading this guide I lvled a gunslinger, and I can't get over 2700(that is without clickrelic) when I look up my parses I have 8-14% miss..

The Gunslinger's off-hand (reduced damage and chance-to-hit) is responsible for the lower average skill damage and hit% relative to our Sniper counterparts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When trying to compare DPS numbers from different dummy parses, I find it most useful to make sure they are cropped to the same time (I usually cut each to 300 seconds), then look at the # of hits with each ability, as well as APM.

Beyond that, parses will vary significantly depending on gear level and crit percentages (RNG).

I'm not sure what kind of gear was used in Claimed or B'oarder's parses, so I'll link one of my own, cropped to 300 seconds, in which I had full 72 gear (3148 DPS):

http://www.torparse.com/a/377183/time/1376088931/1376089231/0/Damage+Dealt

Full Stats:

Cunning: 3329

Power: 1397

Aim: 155

ranged crit: 23.15% (0 rating)

surge: 71.08% (395 rating)

accuracy: 99.51% (395 rating)

Damage (Pri): 1509 - 1886

Ranged / Tech Bonus Damage: 1069.1 / 1522.3

The rotation I used was as close to perfect as I've seen, and if you crop any of the other top SS/MM parses to 300 seconds, you should see a very similar # of hits for abilities. The only difference you might see is rotational, and will involve the # of hits with Vital Shot and XS Freighter Flyby. I delay the 2nd Flyby in order to pair it with Burst Volley, which allows me to use Vital Shot a lot more than if I simply kept Flyby on cooldown (I've found this change to be a significant DPS increase for the 36/3/7 spec).

Also, keep in mind that most of the parses posted on these forums have lucky crit percentages. If you notice that your parse doesn't have 30%+ overall crit, don't worry, that's normal - and take that into consideration when comparing yourself to the top parsers.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With my Sentinel, Seer and Commando at 55, I'm dusting off my Gunslinger, but a lot seems to have changed since I parked him on fleet. Currently he's level 12 with 3/3 Streetwise, so essentially he's a blank slate. I've been reading up on this 36/3/7 build, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around putting 2pts in Alacrity and 3pts in Critical when currently neither stat seems to be worth having. Is 2/2 Mortal Wound for Vial Shot so essential to our overall dps output as to outweigh the combination of 2/2 Bravado for energy management, 2/2 Cool Under Pressure for self-heals in cover (i.e. darned near always) and Independent Anarchy for a 15% damage boost to SC, TG, SG and XS? I guess the answer is "yes", but I'd love to get a better sense of why the trade-offs make sense before I start leveling up.

The reason why you don't invest any gear toward crit or alacrity isn't because they aren't valuable. The fact is, the returns on the gear's itemization is so small that the points are better put into Accuracy, Surge, and Power. Even so, the talent trees essentially give you free boosts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys !

I just got my Kell dragon relic token but i got a bad surprise at the vendor !

I was about to buy the internal tech dmg proc relic but surprise !! It doesnt exist anymore !!

It must be a bug or an error from bioware cause there is 3 force relic and only 1 tech witch is the armor pen one !!

So is anyone of you can help me understand that ? Should i bought the armor pen tech relic even if Its not optimal for a ss gunslinger/mm sniper ?

Hi guys !

I just got my Kell dragon relic token but i got a bad surprise at the vendor !

I was about to buy the internal tech dmg proc relic but surprise !! It doesnt exist anymore !!

It must be a bug or an error from bioware cause there is 3 force relic and only 1 tech witch is the armor pen one !!

So is anyone of you can help me understand that ? Should i bought the armor pen tech relic even if Its not optimal for a ss gunslinger/mm sniper ?

Get the SA and/or BA! :) I will probably get SA for my first relic just for better QoL (no clicking, just equip it and forget about it). lol

Get the SA and/or BA! :) I will probably get SA for my first relic just for better QoL (no clicking, just equip it and forget about it). lol

I'd get the SA first just in case they get around to fixing the damage proc relics so there are not three force ones. BA is still really good, but I've seen some numbers involving the elemental/internal relics that lead me to believe they may be better in the future. Granted, you won't have the power buff for on demand burst, but over long fights that don't have tight burst phases the damage proc could come out ahead.

For reference, here is a spreadsheet by Oofalong done for Watchman Sentinels/Annihilation Marauders: SWTOR Annihilation | Watchman Relic Comparison 2.2

Source

Edited by AngelFluttershy

Ok so I just hit 55 on my sniper sunday, right now my gear lvl is all 69's(except for MH barrel(purple 66) and relics). From reading your posts here I believe its safe to assume you guys are full 72's plus(*prob more 75's). At the 69 gear level what should your DPS be on a typical boss fight? (TFB Sm is the only op I've ran a parser for). From what I saw I was doing between 1900-2300 dps (with lvl 47 tanking relics lol just grabbed them for static power(+27 haha) while lvling). So what I'm asking is the gear gap form 69's-75's result in that much of a DPS difference.

I believe my stats(off the top of my head are):

Acc- 99.90

Cunning 2880 ish

Crit multi- 69.80

power- 1150~1200 range

P.S.- I'm also still working on my rotation(lvling didn't require much of one things died too quickly) I often skip EP in the rotation(energy fears) and don't keep great up time on my CD. But those will come with a little practice.

PPs- I'm also using the Biochem crafted Earpiece and 1 of the implants at this point too. Every piece I plan on keeping is also augmented with cunning augments)

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to have run into a wall with energy and dps, when I am pushing 40 APM plus I can rip through my energy consumption on the 2x2 set. If I slow down some around 37/38 APM I can manage energy for a full 5 minute parse, but see around 100-200 DPS fall off.

It is incredibly useful in boss fights and energy management is not nearly as difficult - I only really start to see any energy issues on the Warlord fight on S&V. I'm just curious on how you manage your energy effectively. I noticed when I slow down if I open with XS, AS, FS, TS, SS, VS, BV, TS, SS, TS, CB, CB, TS I can through that fine with the added energy re-gen on BV and do not need to pop Illegal Mods until the second XS flyby. But I am completely skipping sabo because of energy issues and occasionally I will skip the quick cast CB to get the extra energy re-gen slowing down APM. I'm just curious what everyone else is doing. What are your parses like if you do not get lucky crits?

It'd be curious to see how MM DPS will look like given the possible nerfs to OS/XS.

- Extra tick will be tied to 4-pc instead of 2-pc pvp bonus (we all know something like this will happen).

- Revamped OS/XS (see below)

While we do intend for XS Freighter Flyby/Orbital Strike to be an excellent choice against three or more enemy targets in an area, the single-target effectiveness of the ability is not intended to be so good, with a possible exception for the Saboteur/Engineering Gunslinger/Sniper. But the other five Smuggler/Imperial Agent specializations are not meant to be using the ability against a single target. To address this issue, we plan to make a few changes.

First, we will be lowering the effectiveness of XS Freighter Flyby/Orbital Strike by reducing some combination of its cooldown, activation time, and energy cost. Then we will rescore the damage it does. This will allow it to be used more easily and more often, but it will deal less damage per use. We will also be swapping the 2-piece and 4-piece Gunslinger/Sniper PvP set bonuses, so that the extra tick of XS Freighter Flyby/Orbital Strike damage will be tied to four pieces, and the increased range for Distraction and Quickdraw/Takedown will be tied to two pieces. These changes should combine to bring XS Freighter Flyby/Orbital Strike closer to its intended purpose: being a marvelous multi-target ability and a less than optimal single-target ability.

Edited by paowee

Thx a lot for this awesome guide and all the useful info on the replies.

Right know im on the point to trade a KD relic token and im not sold on what relic should i get, looks like Serendipitous is the greatest improvement, with the Hybrid spec i see double procs pretty often (double serendipitous relics) but in MM/SS the double proc is pretty rare, also my own tests on dummy show a weird increase in DPS when using a Dread Guard Dark Radiance relic (internal Tech), sadly theres no internal tech relic on the post 2.0 vendors.

So, what relics are BiS for this 36/3/7 spec if using 1 KD and 1 UW? Would Cerulean Nova (energy tech) give me results similar to DG DR (internal tech)? also in teh weird side ... im tempted to pick the Primeval Fatesealer, those 30secs of 430 alacrity followed by BV could allow me to spam Sabotage Charge in my rotation for 45 secs ...

Well, a bit lost here, please, hints would be much appreciated

Thx a lot for this awesome guide and all the useful info on the replies.

Right know im on the point to trade a KD relic token and im not sold on what relic should i get, looks like Serendipitous is the greatest improvement, with the Hybrid spec i see double procs pretty often (double serendipitous relics) but in MM/SS the double proc is pretty rare, also my own tests on dummy show a weird increase in DPS when using a Dread Guard Dark Radiance relic (internal Tech), sadly theres no internal tech relic on the post 2.0 vendors.

So, what relics are BiS for this 36/3/7 spec if using 1 KD and 1 UW? Would Cerulean Nova (energy tech) give me results similar to DG DR (internal tech)? also in teh weird side ... im tempted to pick the Primeval Fatesealer, those 30secs of 430 alacrity followed by BV could allow me to spam Sabotage Charge in my rotation for 45 secs ...

Well, a bit lost here, please, hints would be much appreciated

I don't know if Double SA would work well for 36/3/7 since you will be losing one talent point (either from +cunning or the chance to proc Vital Shot talent) if you want to spec to self-healing to proc your 2 SA relics.. Right now i suggest UW SA + UW BA, general-all-purpose relics. Can't go wrong with that.

Claimed, I noticed your parse over on the Harbringer forums as well with the 36/4/6 what did you swap out from the 36/3/7? Just curious to see what you changed.

He took 1 point out of "Mortal Wound" and put it into "Cool Under Pressure" so he could take advantage of double proccing SA relics.

Anyone been on the PTS and done the new operations? From what I heard there are a lot of target swaps / resets in that operation. This can mean that 36/8/2 might be a good spec to run especially when you won't be able to get the full duration of Vital Shot / Corrosive Dart most of the time.

• 1 month later...
Why ?

30% Crit wouldnt be gr8 ?

Last time this guide was updated was 4 months ago. In 78 gear, crit rating is useful to a point; I personally take 168 critical rating which is + 3.26%. Crit is good up to the 200s now, but power always takes priority when you're gearing up.

The rotation makes my head hurt... My rotation gets the most trickshot's off. (Opening rotation)

It is as follows.

FS > XS > SL > Cover > CB > TS > CB > CB > TS > FS > SC > AS > TS > SS > TS > BV > SS > TS > FS

The abbreviations may not be 100% Correct but you can probably figure it out. Also, you said to not use Flourish Shot when you have a Jugg or a Gunnery? Why? the Armor debuffs stack if i recall. So let loose with that Flourish Shot, I will say that i do not think that Gravity Vortex stacks with another Gravity Vortex, but the Jugg, Slinger, and Gunnery armor debuffs (in theory) stack all the way up to 135% Armor penetration. though it only would go up to 100% armor penetration since logic.