The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Emperor = The Emperor?

LongestShot

With Vitiate's known ability to transfer his consciousness to new hosts, the possibility exists that Sidious is simple a newer incarnation of Vitiate, thousands of years later, having found a suitable force attuned host with enough training to be useful but not quite enough to resist him, at some point Vitiate inhabited Sidious and once again worked his way to becoming The Emperor...

Discuss.

With Vitiate's known ability to transfer his consciousness to new hosts, the possibility exists that Sidious is simple a newer incarnation of Vitiate, thousands of years later, having found a suitable force attuned host with enough training to be useful but not quite enough to resist him, at some point Vitiate inhabited Sidious and once again worked his way to becoming The Emperor...

Discuss.

Nothing to discuss.This is just wrong.They are two completely different beings.

Discuss.

For God's sake NO!!!!!!, they are completely different. Vitiate wants to destroy everything, Palpatine wants to rule everything, apart from the "Everything" their goals are completely incompatable. Palpatine is a more developed character too.

Just because they both hold the title Emperor doesn't mean they are the same, please accept that sometimes simplifying is not viable.

I was thinking about this earlier too. I don't know why people reject this idea so strictly. It's not like we know for sure it's not the case. Just because they are different personalities? Well, I would say the goals and personality of any person would develop quite a bit after hundreds/thousands of years of existence.

I was thinking about this earlier too. I don't know why people reject this idea so strictly. It's not like we know for sure it's not the case. Just because they are different personalities? Well, I would say the goals and personality of any person would develop quite a bit after hundreds/thousands of years of existence.

And the rest of us don't understand why you want them to be the same person. Let them stay as seperate people, unless you come up with a good reason for them to be the same person, a really good reason.

Well let's approach this from an out-of-universe perspective. The Sith Emperor was created after Darth Sidious, and I highly doubt George Lucas would want an EU creation to impose on his character. And really BioWare does not have the authority to do so.

Regardless, the Emperor has lived for over 1,000 years already and his motives have not changed. So why would they change a few 1,000 years after? It seems highly, highly unlikely. A character such as the Sith Emperor does not simply change his personality and motives, he looks at the galaxy from a whole different perspective. Those things don't just change, no matter how long the time.

Furthermore if Darth Sidious had the Emperor's essence, how come he didn't discover he was Force sensitive until he was an adult? Why did he become apprenticed to Plagueis if he already had a vast understanding of Sith teachings? Why is it that Sidious lacks the affinity with Sith magic that the Sith Emperor possessed? It just doesn't add up, at all.

Also it was explicitly stated in the Darth Plagueis novel that Vitiate did meet his eventual death as Plagueis mentions that Vitiate is the closest to achieving immortality. Nothing is mentioned to specifics (as I'm sure that will allow for other EU stories) but his death is confirmed in an EU source.