Devs, are roleplayers forgotten ?

Krull-

Interesting article that was written today at http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/25/hyperspace-beacon-why-i-roleplay-in-star-wars-the-old-republic/

It brings up several issues that BioWare is neglecting in their MMORPG ( the word RPG is Stressed)

Lets face it, BioWare does not care about the role player community anymore, lack of chat bubbles, sitting, the list goes on and on.

Hope your listening BioWare.

Edited by Krull-

Lets face it, BioWare does not care about the role player community anymore, lack of chat bubbles, sitting, the list goes on and on.

Anymore?

What mislead you to the feeling that Bioware did ever care about the role player community?

- lack of chat bubbles

- lack of naming convention on RP-server

- /me doesn't carry to opposing faction while /say does

- no sitting in chairs

- everything that looks good, including color, is only available on the cartel market (I wonder, what a sstorm would roam through the forums, if a new pvp zone or fp/op would need to be bought as an unlock in cartel packs (random!))

To my experience, Bioware slapped an "RP" sticker on some servers and otherwise did not care for the very existance of roleplayers at all.... OR they are indeed mistaking the class stories for roleplaying... I am not sure, which of those two things would be worse.

Anymore?

What mislead you to the feeling that Bioware did ever care about the role player community?

They care as much as any other MMO does really. some of what's missing is engine limitation...I love how "RP'ers" mistake that kind of thing for them "not caring about RP'ers"

- lack of chat bubbles

engine can't handle it, they tried, it bogged it down so much it was unplayable..this =/= not caring

ridiculous to insist them having. They'd have to constently police the server. unrealistic man-power and money expenses for so little a community. Not to mention, again, not many (if any) MMO's that hare RP servers do this anymore..only one I ever knew of was EQ...aaaaand..what constitutes an approrpriate name? what you find inappropriate someone else might not..can't cater to everyone

there is no need or reason to communitcate to the other faction and both /em and /say should be removed..it's ONLY used to trash talk and troll by 99% of the time it would be used....no one needs that.

- no sitting in chairs

again just because you can't =/= "they don't care" they didn't design it that way from the start....BioWare is new to MMO's....as is painfully obvious in the overall quality and success of SWTOR. But IF they were to change this they'd have to go back and RE-DO EVERY ZONE and EVERY SINGLE CHAIR/COUCH/ETC put in place....not a realistic expectation in the slightest..and while cool if they did it...it's still ridiculous to expect them too or to criticize them for not. Again..small sub-set of the community vs resources that would have to be spent to do.

- everything that looks good, including color, is only available on the cartel market (I wonder, what a sstorm would roam through the forums, if a new pvp zone or fp/op would need to be bought as an unlock in cartel packs (random!))

Blaming this on "hating RP'ers" (even if they did) is just plain asinine and stupid. It's the nature of the beast when it comes to F2P games. While I don't like it myself..and SWTOR is the first f2p MMO I've bothered with (and ONLY because it's Star Wars)....you can't realistically expect it to be any different. It's called making money..and if they didn't have the "best" stuff on the CM....there'd be no point to it at all.

To my experience, Bioware slapped an "RP" sticker on some servers and otherwise did not care for the very existance of roleplayers at all.... OR they are indeed mistaking the class stories for roleplaying... I am not sure, which of those two things would be worse.

No more, or less than almost any other MMO out there. RP'ers have stupidly unreasonable expectations.

While this may sound like a "BioDefender" post..if you use more than two brain cells (not meant towards quoted poster but anyone in general) you'll realize what I'm saying is true even if (for the very few times I actually do speak in favor of BioWare when it comes to SWTOR and the abortion they created with this game's design choices)

Anymore?

They care as much as any other MMO does really. some of what's missing is engine limitation...I love how "RP'ers" mistake that kind of thing for them "not caring about RP'ers"

Actually, some MMO's DO care a lot for RP'ers. In fact, some less "main stream" MMO's actually go out of their way to encourage RP elements within their games.

- lack of chat bubbles

engine can't handle it, they tried, it bogged it down so much it was unplayable..this =/= not caring

Yes, I understand this is an engine issue. That said (with the many limitations this engine brings) it is difficult to see why they selected this particular engine, if something as simple as chat bubbles (implemented in many games) causes such a performance drop. I do agree however, this issue of limitation is not exclusive to RP and chat bubbles.

ridiculous to insist them having. They'd have to constently police the server. unrealistic man-power and money expenses for so little a community. Not to mention, again, not many (if any) MMO's that hare RP servers do this anymore..only one I ever knew of was EQ...aaaaand..what constitutes an approrpriate name? what you find inappropriate someone else might not..can't cater to everyone

Well it's not really that ridiculous when you think about it. they have report buttons, people use them for things such as vulgar language and harassment. Why not for naming conventions? I agree, there is a lot in what constitutes an appropriate name. Someone called "Dagger" for instance could very well be using an alias. That in itself is fine. But come on....."SithLolSmashxX"......really!

there is no need or reason to communitcate to the other faction and both /em and /say should be removed..it's ONLY used to trash talk and troll by 99% of the time it would be used....no one needs that.

Actually, there are many reasons to interact with the other faction. It's not just trash talk and tugging on each others blasters. People may wish to RP a sensitive treaty, or even to RP forming an alliance to defeat a common enemy. These are just two examples off the top of my head. Just because YOU cannot think of a reason, it doesn't mean there aren't any.

- no sitting in chairs

again just because you can't =/= "they don't care" they didn't design it that way from the start....BioWare is new to MMO's....as is painfully obvious in the overall quality and success of SWTOR. But IF they were to change this they'd have to go back and RE-DO EVERY ZONE and EVERY SINGLE CHAIR/COUCH/ETC put in place....not a realistic expectation in the slightest..and while cool if they did it...it's still ridiculous to expect them too or to criticize them for not. Again..small sub-set of the community vs resources that would have to be spent to do.

Well, scenery interaction like sitting on chairs is a very basic feature many have mastered. Need I say it....darn....Wow had sitting on chairs, and it was Blizzards first MMO. It's small features like this that give RP'ers the impression that they were not even considered when this game was being coded.

Blaming this on "hating RP'ers" (even if they did) is just plain asinine and stupid. It's the nature of the beast when it comes to F2P games. While I don't like it myself..and SWTOR is the first f2p MMO I've bothered with (and ONLY because it's Star Wars)....you can't realistically expect it to be any different. It's called making money..and if they didn't have the "best" stuff on the CM....there'd be no point to it at all.

As much as I don't want to, I will agree with you here. The CM is the necessary evil that keeps this game alive

No more, or less than almost any other MMO out there. RP'ers have stupidly unreasonable expectations.

What's unreasonable to ask to be taken as seriously as PVE'ers and PVP'ers. It's not unreasonable at all.

While this may sound like a "BioDefender" post..if you use more than two brain cells (not meant towards quoted poster but anyone in general) you'll realize what I'm saying is true even if (for the very few times I actually do speak in favor of BioWare when it comes to SWTOR and the abortion they created with this game's design choices)

You're entitled to your opinion, and nobody can say your opinion is wrong. I just think we come from different viewpoints on this matter

:)

but, they added emotes, facial expressions nad hair dresser, so could be worse.

Yeah, they could charge cartel coins for like changing your hairstyle.... oh... wait ;)

As for the green text above.... You do realize, that SWG had all that and it worked just fine? With an engine which is old in comparison to SWTORs.

Also I find it rather interesting, that a roleplayer asking for such basic things like making chairs that are already there and a chair sit animation that is also already there, to be combined to allow actually sitting in chairs... is deemed unreasonable.

But a PvE player asking for a new flashpoint every other week is deemed reasonable?

Roleplayers are the most neglected and also the most self sufficient type of players. Given the basic tools, a roleplaying group can play a game for months without ever running out of content to do... as they are creating content instead of only consuming it.

And when a roleplayer asks for basic stuff after more than a year of the games existance, then that is an unreasonable request? Nice...

Edited by JPryde

Okay I need to comment on this one, do you even RP at all?

I myself is a long term Rp'er from The Progenitor EU. And I can tell you that there is ****loads of Cross-Faction RP. (Which is not trashtalking)

Being able not to have chat cross faction, you lose a huge portion of possible RP. Espically when it comes to criminal underworld RP on planets like Nar Shaddaa. Still, even I enjoy having a chat with a smuggler, trooper or even Jedi in some cirscumstances In-character.

Listen...

PVP'ers and PVE'ers on numerous occasions asked for minimal enhancements to their gaming experience and BioWare listened and sometimes delivered.

However when it comes down to the RP community, they have failed to listen and delive or even answer for an update.

For example, Chat Bubbles... yes they have mentioned that they tried it during beta and it caused unwanted results in the engine. But they have stated that they will fix the solutions. All I want is an update on this feature and some of the other RP features in which we all have been asking for. A simple updated answer from BioWare.

What I don’t understand is all the negativity and constant people knocking down our simple status update question when all we want is a simply answer from the devs?

Also its statements like "this there is no need or reason to communitcate to the other faction and both /em and /say should be removed..it's ONLY used to trash talk and troll by 99% of the time it would be used....no one needs that. " that makes me wonder on why people like this even bother making post on this discussion when its all we doing is simply asking for small enhancements to our gaming experience, just as much as yours.

Right now patches seem to fall under just a few categories: dailies/events, cartel items, flashpoints/ops, or warzones.

Will we ever see a game update that is RP focus BioWare?

Edited by Krull-

as for the green text, I ignored it as it hurts my eyes and I really don't understand why people need to express them selves with colours... 'hey, I write in <insert eyes hurting colour> It must be smart and cunning'

I wasn't negative about RP either, indeed, lack of 'sit' on chair is silly... why I have a couch and a bed on my ship.. I can't use it.. 9 chairs, and i can sit on 4 (including 3 in the cabin)? others are reserved for the emperor?

alliances and /w between fractions would also be nice, as game it self attacts multi alts

CC comes with subscription, so it's not a biggy ;)

Okay I need to comment on this one, do you even RP at all?

I myself is a long term Rp'er from The Progenitor EU. And I can tell you that there is ****loads of Cross-Faction RP. (Which is not trashtalking)

Being able not to have chat cross faction, you lose a huge portion of possible RP. Espically when it comes to criminal underworld RP on planets like Nar Shaddaa. Still, even I enjoy having a chat with a smuggler, trooper or even Jedi in some cirscumstances In-character.

I didn't think I had really had to give the obvious statement for it's..obviousness.

of course I know some will use it for other reasons..I'm talking about the VAST MAJORITY...sadly since it would be abused by hundreds of times more than won't abuse it...they shouldn't have it.

the main and most thing it would be used for is trolling and insulting. like I said.

no offense man but I really didn't think I had to make such an obvious disclaimer

I didn't think I had really had to give the obvious statement for it's..obviousness.

of course I know some will use it for other reasons..I'm talking about the VAST MAJORITY...sadly since it would be abused by hundreds of times more than won't abuse it...they shouldn't have it.

the main and most thing it would be used for is trolling and insulting. like I said.

no offense man but I really didn't think I had to make such an obvious disclaimer

Its not that bad. If it was we would have had it removed in beta. Heck it was something that was put into the game by player request and not removed prior to release.

Real role players make their own RPG in MMOs....and have done so forever. They are like the US Marines.. they adapt, persevere and overcome challenges.

Faux-role players need it delivered to them pre-packaged and ready to eat. They even need an NPC to unwrap it and feed to them......OR they go poopy in their pants.

Root cause issue: MMO developers are good a making games and bad at making role play. Then again, MMOs are NOT pencil and paper DnD with a game master handcuffed to the table and fed Cheetos and Mountain Dew in exchange for role play instructions and guidance on demand.

Edited by Andryah

RP happens in players' imaginations, not on the computer screen. If someone needs simulated living to enhance their "RP," they should be playing Second Life.

Obviously you are missing the point.

Interesting article that was written today at http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/25/hyperspace-beacon-why-i-roleplay-in-star-wars-the-old-republic/

It brings up several issues that BioWare is neglecting in their MMORPG ( the word RPG is Stressed)

Hope your listening BioWare.

It really cheapens an argument when people bring things like "the devs don't care about me". It would be more than accurate to say that they do not share priorities with you though.

And with that, I agree. There needs to be a shift of focus, or a large update devoted to Quality of Life for RPers. We do get the short end of the stick. Well, not even the short end, we rarely get anything. But I believe that they do care even if it is the last thing on their lists to care about.

Root cause issue: MMO developers are good a making games and bad at making role play. Then again, MMOs are NOT pencil and paper DnD with a game master handcuffed to the table and fed Cheetos and Mountain Dew in exchange for role play instructions and guidance on demand.

Oof....back to counseling I go. Brought back rather disturbing memories lol.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.