1800cc per character for transfer?

wow is 20euro per character..

There are just really few games that offer free transfert

It isn't really a valid argument - SWTOR has CM to make money above subs and WoW has only subs (it's beyond point of this thread, but as valid argument as yours). I can understand why people see cost of transfers as too much. What I can't understand is why people didn't get used to it by now. If last updates implied anything, Bioware/EA will try to make money every way they can.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't feel punished because you don't need to use that feature. I need that feature so I feel punished. Your feelings are different than my feelings, duh!

Let's just count post-lvl50 toons. I have a powertech and a shadow on the original server. Then a sniper and a marauder on the other server. If I transfer all of them onto one server, I would be able to take advantage of the legacy unlocks due to the diversity of the classes I've leveled. Plus each character has their own set of crew skills that would benefit me even more of they are all on one server.

I'm about to blow around $40 this Friday transferring two of my 50's to the server which has the rest of them on it. So, I'm 40 bucks less of being in the same boat as you, but I don't have even half of a problem with it. Not seeing the issue here. You don't HAVE to transfer them you know, if you already have 5 50's what so hard about re-rolling the other 2 you left behind? Either re-roll or pay up.

The only issue here is whether or not to take the hutt-spanking to your wallet. SWTOR ain't gonna help you with that. That is on you.

By the way, my server that my two 50's are also went dead after 1.2. I've played SWTOR since beta, with a small break. When I returned, my toons were spread across the server universe, just as yours were. I decided to deal with it.

Edited by Tharenisis

No character was created on any server except by action on the part of a player to do so. Bioware never rolled a character for a player.

Sever transfers done last year aggregated players characters, not disaggregated them.. so that aspect is not even in the equation.

Now, you can say it's Bioware's fault all day long that players felt compelled to run from server to server to roll new characters... but the fact is that was a choice made by players based on what the game offered them. Which frankly is not in any way unique to this MMO and anyone who has played MMOs for years knows this. By all means..add it to the long laundry list of complaints about Bioware that some players keep... but you cannot directly blame character rolls on servers on Bioware.

What other choices did the players have?

1) Play on a dead server, effectively a single-player game, not the MMO this game is supposed to be.

2) Quit playing altogether.

What options have I missed that should squarely place the financial burden of a fix on the players' shoulders?

No character was created on any server except by action on the part of a player to do so. Bioware never rolled a character for a player.

Sever transfers done last year aggregated players characters, not disaggregated them.. so that aspect is not even in the equation.

Now, you can say it's Bioware's fault all day long that players felt compelled to run from server to server to roll new characters... but the fact is that was a choice made by players based on what the game offered them. Which frankly is not in any way unique to this MMO and anyone who has played MMOs for years knows this. By all means..add it to the long laundry list of complaints about Bioware that some players keep... but you cannot directly blame character rolls on servers on Bioware.

You fail to realize that the players cant help having dead servers. Its biowares fault, not the players.

What other choices did the players have?

1) Play on a dead server, effectively a single-player game, not the MMO this game is supposed to be.

2) Quit playing altogether.

What options have I missed that should squarely place the financial burden of a fix on the players' shoulders?

Read my post that is right above yours. The OP needs to deal like the rest of us founders have upon our return. That or well, he can just quit again.

Read my post that is right above yours. The OP needs to deal like the rest of us founders have upon our return. That or well, he can just quit again.

Nice. Way to put the interests of giant companies ahead of those of the consumer. Capitalism. Yar.

Nice. Way to put the interests of giant companies ahead of those of the consumer. Capitalism. Yar.

The interest of this giant company, is what keeps my game alive. Anyone who was there at the beginning knows that the CM and the giant companies "greed" is what saved this game from becoming a shut down wasted project.

Edited by Tharenisis

The interest of this giant company, is what keeps my game alive. Anyone who was there at the beginning knows that the CM and the giant companies "greed" is what saved this game from becoming a shut down wasted project.

That doesn't mean that it's OK for consumers to pay the company extra to fix a problem the company created through its own incompetence or neglect.

Edited by DarthTHC

we also know if the giant company didn't keep screwing up so bad there never would have been a need to 'save' this game. they could have released a decent game, managed server populations, and communicated with their customers. but they didn't, possibly because their greed was more important than their game. there is nothing wrong or unreasonable or abnormal about asking them to treat subscribers a bit better.

this can be fixed. a couple weeks ago they didn't have a technical solution quite implemented in a way to make it really easy to fix. now they do. they can fix it. it would be fast. it would be easy. the only reason they have now for not fixing, is because they made a decision not to.

You're one of those dull ones. I could explain economic theory to you, but I don't think it would hold. BW cannot make money by pissing people off. They also cannot make money if they try to fix every little issue everyone has with their game. It's life, deal with it. Yar.

I still have 2 lvl50 toons on the original server where many of my friends have returned for patch 2.0, and 6 other toons (2 of which are 50) on another server. .

Here is a crazy idea, why don't your friends transfer to your server? They left the game once, chances are high they leave again. What then?

You've been playing without them since 2.0 hit (and longer) so sit tight, and perhaps they might announce legacy xfers.

If I were running this biz, I'd do the same, milk my customers for single xfers and then bang, legacy xfers. it's just good business sense.

I only created characters and played on 2 servers pre-free-transfer. After the free transfer, they characters still happened to be on 2 different servers (didn't you read my post?). When my original server lost most of its players, I had 2 options: Quit the game like most of my friends or start anew on a different server. I chose the later and continue my sub for nearly a year. Now I'm getting punished for sticking to the game? Plus Im willing to pay that 1800cc if I can do that for all characters once. That price is reasonable for people who only level one toon. People who have been playing since pre-launch are likely to have at least 4 toons by now. If this is how bioware treats hardcore fans, then I rest my case.

I was in the exact same boat. I transferred 3 of my 4 stranded toons so far. I used my stipend CCs. I will have enough for the 4th next month.

It should have been free for the first time. You can choose a destination server and move everyone there for free. Assuming you were here for the first round of server mergers.

I've had to change character names so many times already it isn't funny.

You're one of those dull ones. I could explain economic theory to you, but I don't think it would hold. BW cannot make money by pissing people off. They also cannot make money if they try to fix every little issue everyone has with their game. It's life, deal with it. Yar.

Seems to me they're making plenty of money on the game without ever having made dime #1 on transfers. Also, nobody is asking for free transfers forever. I'm just saying BWEA should not charge customers to fix a problem they created for their customers. It's just good business.

They are account wide transfers, yes. This is not because they really care about their customers and are trying to be nice. This is because you CANNOT have characters on more than one server. That game is designed that way, unlike this game.

They also gave everyone several weeks to move about the servers freely. You also didn't mention the "guest" feature, which I believe shows that they do care about their customers. There's absolutely no need for this feature, but they put it in. They also don't have a sub, but a fluff only shop. You don't have to pay any extra and you have the exact same experience as someone who does. I believe ArenaNet puts a hell of a lot more thought into their customers than EA does.

This is my first MMO ever so I had no prior knowledge on the obstacles I would face when rolling new toons on a different server. Plus, I didn't have any other choice anyway, did I?

I've read the patch note again. Where does it say I can transfer a toon for free every 3 months? And didn't I mention that I'm willing to pay? But $80 is too much while I've already spent near $500 on this game since launch.

It is simple logic really: your server has five people on fleet, which means you have less than a thousand on the server. Does it make sense for the server to be open? Nope. That's where the thought needed to be done. Also, you had no problem then rerolling on a new server, so what is the problem now with all the double xp weekends and xp boosts? I've been a "founding member" of several other games and you will never see an incentive like what you are suggesting given out anywhere.

Even at 1800CC per toon I thought that was a great deal!

The only other MMO I've played (SWG) originally charged $50 for a toon transfer from server to server ($100 if you wanted to move it from one account to a different account) and you couldn't take many of your items. Eventually they improved the service to include all items, and cut the price by 50%...

The 1800 CC is still cheaper.

They are account wide transfers, yes. This is not because they really care about their customers and are trying to be nice. This is because you CANNOT have characters on more than one server. That game is designed that way, unlike this game.

Exactly this. They have their own inferior tech issues. Just different ones from this game.

Suck it up buttercups, it's only 20 bucks to move one toon, or 40 bucks to move three. Go raid your daddy's wallet and get over to the server you want.

Why ppl want everything for free ?

Seems they dont leave in this world...

Yes they do. This is America, freeloader and self-entitled capital of the world. :mad:

RIft lets you do it for free, because they HAVE to. No one stays interested in that game. It's a shame in a sense too, because it's not Trion's fault their intellectual property has no bite.

Also, nobody is asking for free transfers forever. I'm just saying BWEA should not charge customers to fix a problem they created for their customers. It's just good business.

I agree with this. I'm sure they have a record of who was moved in the server merge. I'd give them at least a discount on server transfers based on how many characters were moved. I believe they should get a free transfer for each character they had moved in the merge, but that's just me.

It's not really a good argument because it implies that BW HAVE to make paid transfers. Do they?

It's a fine argument, you just snipped most of my quote away to serve your view.

Then you're making an inference and claiming it's a counterargument. No. Just...no. All my comment implies is that, because Bioware has an IP that's popular they simply have the option available to them to charge for transfers.

Rift never had this option, because when you only have 100k people at best for a sub base for your game...

Edited by islander

So we agree that paid transfers was BW choice, not necessity on their side. I'm just cutting in because I think they could handle this way better (like two weeks free transfers for subs or something like this) and all of these "it's too expensive" threads would go away.

So we agree that paid transfers was BW choice, not necessity on their side. I'm just cutting in because I think they could handle this way better (like two weeks free transfers for subs or something like this) and all of these "it's too expensive" threads would go away.

Absolutely. Rift/Trion didn't have a choice. Well, I mean technically, they always had a choice...but they didn't REALLY have that option if they valued the remaining population of their game.

It was never necessary for Bioware to charge for this. However, it's unreasonable (and this is just opinion) to expect they'd offer it for free, considering how much development time went into figuring this out. We can say that's their fault for using a bad game engine, sure...but the reality is, it cost them a lot to get this to work.

I feel (again, opinion) that they struck a reasonable balance between just eating the dev costs for no ROI, and not gouging as much as people probably WOULD pay. I find the package deal of 3 for 40 beyond reasonable. The 20 for a single cost is OK, but really, if you just buy the 5500 cartel coins for 40 bucks you'd basically be getting your transfer and 3700 CCs - or roughly 37 bucks worth.

Now, I will certainly agree that there's a section of this player base who refuses to spend any money on the game - and that's totally fine. Where the IP comes into this, is simply as I mentioned - BW had a reasonable option to charge for this, so to think they wouldn't is kinda silly.

Now if they charged 25-30 bucks a pop? I'd be more annoyed for people about that. Really. I just feel they chose a good price point.

You fail to realize that the players cant help having dead servers. Its biowares fault, not the players.

We are way past dead servers, and during the great server merges of 2012...most players found their characters largely consolidated for them. The visible exception appears to be PvP players that continued to server hop looking for the "perfect" PvP. That's on them. Impatience breeds bad choices.. doubly so for MMO PvP players IMO.

Edited by Andryah