The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Interesting notes on EpVII and rumors and the EU...

TheBBP

There are other quotes as well:

"GL is certainly not bound by the EU, though he's certainly open to using things created in it (Aayla Secura and the Coruscant name, for example). On the other hand, the quote you provide makes it sound like the EU is separate from George's vision of the Star Wars universe. It is not. The EU must follow certain tenets set by George through the films and other guidelines that he provides outside of the films." ~ Leland Chee

"In the early days I told them that they couldn't do anything about how Darth Vader was born, for obvious reasons, but otherwise I pretty much let them do whatever they wanted. They created this whole amazing universe that goes on for millions of years!" ~ George Lucas

"After Star Wars was released, it became apparent that my story—however many films it took to tell—was only one of thousands that could be told about the characters who inhabit its galaxy. But these were not stories I was destined to tell. Instead they would spring from the imagination of other writers, inspired by the glimpse of a galaxy that Star Wars provided. Today it is an amazing, if unexpected, legacy of Star Wars that so many gifted writers are contributing new stories to the Saga." ~ George Lucas

As you can see, George is quite upbeat about the EU and he has a great deal of respect for it. He merely sees it as a vision separate from his which some people take to mean he doesn't care about it. This is not true.

But again, now Lucas is taking a backseat, his opinions on the matter are largely irrelevant. However the canon system remains which I must stress is largely Leland Chee's territory. Chee invented G-Canon. So until he goes we should hold G-Canon to be valid, we can only say Lucas' opinions no longer have relevance.

The first Leeland Chee quote is old. That was before Lucas came out a year later saying the EU wasnt apart of his continuity, which leads to this quote be Chee:

"Anything not in the current version of the films is irrelevant to Film only continuity." Since I cant pull out the full question/answer since the forums were taken offline, the fan question was something along the lines off wondering whether Pre-PT EU can explain the events before the movies.

The first Leeland Chee quote is old. That was before Lucas came out a year later saying the EU wasnt apart of his continuity, which leads to this quote be Chee:

"Anything not in the current version of the films is irrelevant to Film only continuity." Since I cant pull out the full question/answer since the forums were taken offline, the fan question was something along the lines off wondering whether Pre-PT EU can explain the events before the movies.

Like I said, he has his own vision and sees the EU as a parallel universe. This doesn't mean he doesn't respect it though. Clearly he does.

But anyway, Lucas isn't in charge anymore so we can't really say how Disney would approach the topic of EU.

But anyway, Lucas isn't in charge anymore so we can't really say how Disney would approach the topic of EU.

By largely ignoring it. I mean, either they make 3 movies based on the books or they ignore it. There is too many novels written about the period after ROTJ to have ANY room for anything original. If they did do movies taking the EU into account, they would piss people off regardless AND they would have to go against PT canon on a constant basis or go against the EU anyway. They aren't going against PT canon, not happening so their only option is to largely ignore the EU.

They might use Yavin as the new Jedi temple and minor things like that but following the stories of the novels? No, not happening.

You folks need to be prepared and be less shocked that they are moving on without the EU. Like several of you have already mentioned, Lucas always had a disregard for the EU. It was a parallel universe that took off after his movies. Fans can still enjoy that universe, they are still publishing books.

But you are setting yourself up for all levels of disappointment if you are holding onto the hope that Episodes VII-IX are going to be adapted from the EU.

You folks need to be prepared and be less shocked that they are moving on without the EU. Like several of you have already mentioned, Lucas always had a disregard for the EU. It was a parallel universe that took off after his movies. Fans can still enjoy that universe, they are still publishing books.

But you are setting yourself up for all levels of disappointment if you are holding onto the hope that Episodes VII-IX are going to be adapted from the EU.

What I don't see is them throwing years worth of post-ROTJ material added down the drain, just to put in a couple of movies. That just seems like retarded thinking on their part, however if they do?....Well then will be interesting to see where things go from there I guess.

This isn't to say I am not for changing of post-ROTJ, however there would then be the headache of having to learn the lore all over again. I am rather neutral on the stance really, i'll take a wait and see approach.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

By largely ignoring it. I mean, either they make 3 movies based on the books or they ignore it. There is too many novels written about the period after ROTJ to have ANY room for anything original. If they did do movies taking the EU into account, they would piss people off regardless AND they would have to go against PT canon on a constant basis or go against the EU anyway. They aren't going against PT canon, not happening so their only option is to largely ignore the EU.

They might use Yavin as the new Jedi temple and minor things like that but following the stories of the novels? No, not happening.

Likely true, the post-ROTJ is dense to say the least. There is little room for 3 movies without overiding certain elements. And it isn't even that popular. I mean, they could just override the NJO and keep Legacy era. and New Republic era. But the New Republic era effects NJO which in turn affects Legacy.

Rendering the entire thing non-canon would be the most efficient solution, and I wouldn't be suprised if it happened. Good thing I never had much love for the post-ROTJ.

That said, I'm fully expecting them to draw on elements of the post-ROTJ but as a new story, no adaptations of old ones. At a push we might see characters like Mara Jade, Thrawn etc. make an appearance. But there stories and maybe even their personalities might be different.

Edited by Beniboybling