The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Interesting notes on EpVII and rumors and the EU...

TheBBP

Article is HERE. Below are some highlights.

This is my way of saying that I am 100% sure that the rumor that's online today about the casting breakdown for "Star Wars Episode VII" is false. It's not slightly off-base. It's not tentative. It's fiction. That is not a breakdown for the Abrams film at all. That has nothing to do with the film that Michael Arndt is currently writing. If you're excited that they're adapting Jacen and Jaina Solo for the new movie, I'd advise you to relax, because it's not happening.

More than that, I hope fandom isn't holding their breath for an adaptation of the EU novels at all. I've seen people making wish lists about who will play Admiral Thrawn or Mara Jade, and I hope they understand that the odds of seeing those characters adapted as part of the actual storyline in "Episode VII," "Episode VIII" or "Episode IX" are between none and none.

More importantly, though, the process that is underway with Michael Arndt writing the film involves a number of other voices all thinking about how to further expand the universe of the movies. Simon Kinberg, Lawrence Kasdan, and voices you aren't even aware of yet are all contributing to the conversation, and they are not sitting there as a group taking notes on stories that were told in book form. They did not walk into the situation handcuffed to the idea of just adapting something. The people that have signed on have signed on so that they can take advantage of the freedom of a wide-open universe, and they are working to build something that you don't expect, something that does something new.

You want to know something cool and genuine about the new film? Work on the major set pieces has already begun at ILM, and this is going to end up being the most elaborate physical build they've done for the effects team since "Return Of The Jedi," something I look forward to discussing with John Knoll when I see him at the "Pacific Rim" press day.

For what it's worth, the author of the article is pretty legit.

Edited by TheBBP

Never really believed the rumor that Jaina and Jacen would appear in the movies for a second. Disney have already made it clear that the sequel trilogy is going to be an 'original story' which is basically another way of saying that it will not be an adaptation of any EU material.

That said, there is no reason why JJ and his crew would not draw on EU material as the Prequel Trilogy did. All we can do is what and see I suppose.

That really is not the same thing. We are not talking about a couple comics and books. We are talking about telling dozens of writers and fans your stuff is invalid, hope you enjoyed your stay.

Yes. Lucas already said the EU is invalid and post-rotj EU never happened. EP7 is going to do the same thing, except "officially on-screen". As Leeland Chee said, majority of the people that have seen star wars have never read a star wars comic or novel, ever.

Edited by Girdeux

Yes. Lucas already said the EU is invalid and post-rotj EU never happened. EP7 is going to do the same thing, except "officially on-screen".
That's something of an exaggeration indeed. He merely says that that's not how he would have done it. Regardless Lucas is no longer involved anymore so this really has no bearing. Edited by Beniboybling

That's something of an exaggeration indeed. He merely says that that's not how he would have done it. Regardless Lucas is no longer involved anymore so this really has no bearing.

He said it, although not in the way I said it. And lets be real here, if his words have no bearing then why you along with many other of yous like to use his quotes in everyone of those "VS" threads? You either take it all or none.

On a side note, I was reading the star wars annotated screenplay book, the original ending to ROTJ was that Yoda, Anakin and Obiwan come back to life in the end and party it up with luke and everyone else. How awesome.

Edited by Girdeux

He said it, although not in the way I said it. And lets be real here, if his words have no bearing then why you along with many other of yous like to use his quotes in everyone of those "VS" threads? You either take it all or none.

On a side note, I was reading the star wars annotated screenplay book, the original ending to ROTJ was that Yoda, Anakin and Obiwan come back to life in the end and party it up with luke and everyone else. How awesome.

He was referring to GL statements that have not come to fruition having no bearing, aka, the POST ROTJ stuff. Since he is not in the picture, it will be up to the new creators.

No he didn't, if he really didn't like the EU then why is it he put in Aalya Secura, YT-2400s and the name Courscant into his movies and thus making them G-canon? If he didn't like the EU, he wouldn't have put that stuff in there, all he has said was that the EU is separate from his vision of what he would have done.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

He was referring to GL statements that have not come to fruition having no bearing, aka, the POST ROTJ stuff. Since he is not in the picture, it will be up to the new creators.

True, although GL statements are G-canon too. But let me say this, do Pro-ROTU EU moviegoers understand that one reference or a couple of lines of dialog in the movie can cause a massive knock on effect that destroy alot of EU anyway?

This is what he said:

TOTAL FILM: "Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?"

LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. (Oh the irony...) That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

What he's saying is that the EU is a seperate vision to his. He sees the EU as a parallel universe but in continuity with this own. He respects and greatly admires that universe but doesn't concern himself with it.

And about statements made by Lucas. There is a different here, on one hand we have written law - G-Canon which in many ways is separate from Lucas himself as it doesn't just apply to his comments. On the other hand we have a personal opinion to the post-ROTJ, which we can't say is the opinion of those now in charge.

Basically, we can't say 'George doesn't respect the post-ROTJ so he'll be happy to remove it. Because Lucas' say in the future movies are small. If G-Canon dictated the post-ROTJ was non-canon you'd have a point.

And really? They do come back as Force ghosts. Coming back in real life would be... weird and wrong, lol.

Edited by Beniboybling

No he didn't, if he really didn't like the EU then why is it he put in Aalya Secura, YT-2400s and the name Courscant into his movies and thus making them G-canon? If he didn't like the EU, he wouldn't have put that stuff in there, all he has said was that the EU is separate from his vision of what he would have done.

He did say that, the quotes been around forever now im suprised you havent seen it. If you really want me to ill bring up a nice list of what he thinks about the EU if you want.

This is what he said:

TOTAL FILM: "Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?"

LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. (Oh the irony...) That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

What he's saying is that the EU is a seperate vision to his. He sees the EU as a parallel universe but in continuity with this own. He respects and greatly admires that universe but doesn't concern himself with it.

And about statements made by Lucas. There is a different here, on one hand we have written law - G-Canon which in many ways is separate from Lucas himself as it doesn't just apply to his comments. On the other hand we have a personal opinion to the post-ROTJ, which we can't say is the opinion of those now in charge.

Basically, we can't say 'George doesn't respect the post-ROTJ so he'll be happy to remove it. Because Lucas' say in the future movies are small. If G-Canon dictated the post-ROTJ was non-canon you'd have a point.

And really? They do come back as Force ghosts. Coming back in real life would be... weird and wrong, lol.

Here we are:

["In the revised rough draft (Scene 138, Luke talks to Ben, and then)…Yoda suddenly appears as flesh and blood. His stay in the Netherworld has been resolved since Vader has turned to the good side. Yoda also has been able to prevent Vader from becoming one with the Force. Luke's father appears, and they all join the celebration, except for Yoda, who watches them all from the side…" -L. Bouzerau, explanation from Star Wars The Annotated Screenplays page 320.]

139. CONTINUED

Threepio is carried on the shoulders of eight Ewoks in a litter. He is a little confused and dismayed at all the attention he is getting. The furry little Ewoks set the golden droid down a raised platform and bow before him as the dancing continues. Several young female Ewoks place a garland of flowers around Threepio’s head, and he waves at the crowd.

Quietly watching the festivities from the side is Yoda, the Jedi Master. He scans the crowd picking out Artoo, Threepio, Lando and Chewie, Han and Leia, and finally Ben, Luke and his father. He lets out a great sigh.

END CREDITS

Edited by Girdeux

Here we are:

["In the revised rough draft (Scene 138, Luke talks to Ben, and then)…Yoda suddenly appears as flesh and blood. His stay in the Netherworld has been resolved since Vader has turned to the good side. Yoda also has been able to prevent Vader from becoming one with the Force. Luke's father appears, and they all join the celebration, except for Yoda, who watches them all from the side…" -L. Bouzerau, explanation from Star Wars The Annotated Screenplays page 320.]

139. CONTINUED

Threepio is carried on the shoulders of eight Ewoks in a litter. He is a little confused and dismayed at all the attention he is getting. The furry little Ewoks set the golden droid down a raised platform and bow before him as the dancing continues. Several young female Ewoks place a garland of flowers around Threepio’s head, and he waves at the crowd.

Quietly watching the festivities from the side is Yoda, the Jedi Master. He scans the crowd picking out Artoo, Threepio, Lando and Chewie, Han and Leia, and finally Ben, Luke and his father. He lets out a great sigh.

END CREDITS

Link the source for this please. I doubt the authenticity.

He did say that, the quotes been around forever now im suprised you havent seen it. If you really want me to ill bring up a nice list of what he thinks about the EU if you want.
There are other quotes as well:

"GL is certainly not bound by the EU, though he's certainly open to using things created in it (Aayla Secura and the Coruscant name, for example). On the other hand, the quote you provide makes it sound like the EU is separate from George's vision of the Star Wars universe. It is not. The EU must follow certain tenets set by George through the films and other guidelines that he provides outside of the films." ~ Leland Chee

"In the early days I told them that they couldn't do anything about how Darth Vader was born, for obvious reasons, but otherwise I pretty much let them do whatever they wanted. They created this whole amazing universe that goes on for millions of years!" ~ George Lucas

"After Star Wars was released, it became apparent that my story—however many films it took to tell—was only one of thousands that could be told about the characters who inhabit its galaxy. But these were not stories I was destined to tell. Instead they would spring from the imagination of other writers, inspired by the glimpse of a galaxy that Star Wars provided. Today it is an amazing, if unexpected, legacy of Star Wars that so many gifted writers are contributing new stories to the Saga." ~ George Lucas

As you can see, George is quite upbeat about the EU and he has a great deal of respect for it. He merely sees it as a vision separate from his which some people take to mean he doesn't care about it. This is not true.

But again, now Lucas is taking a backseat, his opinions on the matter are largely irrelevant. However the canon system remains which I must stress is largely Leland Chee's territory. Chee invented G-Canon. So until he goes we should hold G-Canon to be valid, we can only say Lucas' opinions no longer have relevance.

Here we are:

139. CONTINUED

END CREDITS

Oh wow, that's interesting. Glad they changed it though.

On the topic, there's one thing I think they should have done differently. I think Anakin shouldn't have been part of the line up with Yoda and Obi-Wan - I mean talk about awkward. :p

I think he should have been in the distance somewhere, like you see a brief glimpse of him smiling at Luke in the forest and then he disappears or something. Not like "Hey guys I killed all your friends, lets PARTAY!"

Oh wow, that's interesting. Glad they changed it though.

On the topic, there's one thing I think they should have done differently. I think Anakin shouldn't have been part of the line up with Yoda and Obi-Wan - I mean talk about awkward. :p

I think he should have been in the distance somewhere, like you see a brief glimpse of him smiling at Luke in the forest and then he disappears or something. Not like "Hey guys I killed all your friends, lets PARTAY!"

Well those are earlier drafts of the scripts, so of course the 1st few are gonna be different then the final.