The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Where have all my Canon gone?

TyboJames

Well here's the thing. I did an example of a small retconn. They go roughshod over all of the EU, that's one HELL of a retconn.

So again, what do you do, if EP VII just goes somewhere completely different than the EU has gone?

Again, partay. As much as the stories of Thrawn, Mara Jade etc. are intriguing. In the end the post-ROTJ is relatively sub-standard and certain aspects of it I really don't like. Remember this thread? :jawa_wink:

The post-ROTJ, I feel, it out of touch with Star Wars.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, partay. As much as the stories of Thrawn, Mara Jade etc. are intriguing. In the end the post-ROTJ is relatively sub-standard and certain aspects of it I really don't like. Remember this thread? :jawa_wink:

The post-ROTJ, I feel, it out of touch with Star Wars.

Well outside of the champions of the force section of books about luke's first academy, yeah books kinda go all weird. there are exceptions like the luke/mara books: suvivor's quest and hand of thrawn.

However the books dealing with right after ROTJ up to say I, Jedi, those are GREAT books and I really hope they don't stomp on those books. Anything else, meh, couldn't care less really.

But for the love of god don't mess with the X-wing books, Thrawn or even the jedi academy trilogy. Those were great books.

Well outside of the champions of the force section of books about luke's first academy, yeah books kinda go all weird. there are exceptions like the luke/mara books: suvivor's quest and hand of thrawn.

However the books dealing with right after ROTJ up to say I, Jedi, those are GREAT books and I really hope they don't stomp on those books. Anything else, meh, couldn't care less really.

But for the love of god don't mess with the X-wing books, Thrawn or even the jedi academy trilogy. Those were great books.

Oops, for got the link. It was the Why the post-ROTJ era sucks! thread. :D

But yeah, preserving the beginnings of the New Republic era would be a good move. And a possible one at that. We may even see elements of that EU be drawn into the movies. Only time will tell.

Edited by Beniboybling

I understand that concept, but in practice, won't we all just start to view movie canon as real and black list any novels that dispute with the movies?

Why do you have to blacklist them? Just enjoy the stories for what they are. Although some of the novels are terrible and SHOULD be blacklisted...

Why the hell do we need yet *another* thread about the same exact topic?

- The post-ROTJ EU is mediocre to terrible with pretty much every book filled with inconsistencies not only with the movies, but with other books as well. More often than not, it's an ego driven pissing contest between authors if you look at it objectively in terms of character ability and super weapons.

- It's almost entirely a different universe from the newer, old republic books in terms of the way the Force works, how technology works, tone and philosophy. The only thing in common is the IP.

If the new movies are GOOD most people don't give a hoot if the drivel is replaced with proper writing, characterization and story building.

Edited by Jandi

Why the hell do we need yet *another* thread about the same exact topic?

- The post-ROTJ EU is mediocre to terrible with pretty much every book filled with inconsistencies not only with the movies, but with other books as well. More often than not, it's an ego driven pissing contest between authors if you look at it objectively in terms of character ability and super weapons.

- It's almost entirely a different universe from the newer, old republic books in terms of the way the Force works, how technology works, tone and philosophy. The only thing in common is the IP.

If the new movies are GOOD most people don't give a hoot if the drivel is replaced with proper writing, characterization and story building.

Couldn't agree more. Soon the last remnants of the post-ROTJ will be swept away forever and once more Star Wars will rule popular culture! :D Edited by Beniboybling

I understand that concept, but in practice, won't we all just start to view movie canon as real and black list any novels that dispute with the movies?

I wouldn't. Lucas can have his own canon. I'll have mine. See, regardless of what's official, I can still enjoy and shape my own experience.

Obsession over canon is a poison to this fandom and their general enjoyment of the franchise. It creates unnecessary stress and all but the most hard core fans of continuity need apply.

Since when has it ever stopped?

I think you miss the difference between popular culture and sub-culture. :)

Non-SW fans don't give a toss about a single book. That makes it a sub-culture, not pop culture.

Well I wasn't alive in 1983 so... but what Jandi says is true.

I wasn't either, but Star Wars seems to be doing well in culture so...its still popular.

Sure its got a strong fanbase, but if the movies do well...

Then that'll just make it better.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I wouldn't. Lucas can have his own canon. I'll have mine. See, regardless of what's official, I can still enjoy and shape my own experience.

Obsession over canon is a poison to this fandom and their general enjoyment of the franchise. It creates unnecessary stress and all but the most hard core fans of continuity need apply.

Fans need continuity... At all costs.

But with that mentality, you cannot have a discussion about anything relating to Star Wars. If everyone just made up their own stuff based on what *they* like it becomes an impossibility to have any objective discussions. You can just refute anything by saying "It's what I made up so you're wrong".

Nothing wrong with just picking and choosing what to think of as "canon", it's what everyone does with the Bible. :D

I wasn't either, but Star Wars seems to be doing well in culture so...its still popular.
Its a sub-culture, amongst the general public its not regarded very highly. Case in point: none of my friends have much of an interest in Star Wars, yet are obsessed with Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones etc.

I'm hoping the new movies will change that, medieval fantasy has had its heyday. Its time for the queen of space opera to reclaim its throne!

Its a sub-culture, amongst the general public its not regarded very highly. Case in point: none of my friends have much of an interest in Star Wars, yet are obsessed with Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones etc.

I'm hoping the new movies will change that, medieval fantasy has had its heyday. Its time for the queen of space opera to reclaim its throne!

BULL ****!.....But meh...anyway...we shall see where it heads.

As I've read all the Song of ice and fire books I can assure that what's to come next season, and the one after that, will only make the "GoT" fandom even stronger. In terms of awesome storytelling and plot twists, the general public has seen nothing yet. :)

Oh, and Skyrim sold a total of 20million+ copies according to Bethesda across all platforms.

Medieval fantasy is *not* going anywhere anytime soon. :)

Its true my friend its, its true... Lord of the Rings is... more... popular than Star Wars *sobs*

*wipes tears from eyes* But fear not! For glory and grandeur awaits! :D

I dunno...there are still lots of fans. But anyway we shall see, I am actually more interested in when the movies are gonna take place moreso then the plot/characters and so forth to see where it settles on post-ROTJ. Or actually rather moreso interested, in seeing what is gonna happen to the EU...more information needed!

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

As I've read all the Song of ice and fire books I can assure that what's to come next season, and the one after that, will only make the "GoT" fandom even stronger. In terms of awesome storytelling and plot twists, the general public has seen nothing yet. :)

Oh, and Skyrim sold a total of 20million+ copies according to Bethesda across all platforms.

Medieval fantasy is *not* going anywhere anytime soon. :)

Grrrrr... SILENCE THESE HERESIES! :D

But your right, however anyone with any sense will attempt to capitalist on Star Wars - not just those affiliated with Lucasfilm and Lucasarts. I sense storm brewing.

Grrrrr... SILENCE THESE HERESIES! :D

But your right, however anyone with any sense will attempt to capitalist on Star Wars - not just those affiliated with Lucasfilm and Lucasarts. I sense storm brewing.

Sadly, EA got exclusivity for the games, so that medium is in the trash bin.

Expect 1 rushed out battlefront every 1 or 2 years with no substance and incredibly short with nothing but shiny skyboxes.

The Sims: Jedi Academy.

Sim Cosuscant.

Huttball as a stand alone game.

Maybe an RPG with 5 rooms redone 20 times.

Yes I'm incredibly cynical when it comes to EA. ;D

Ya know actually thinking on it, I am more ok if post-ROTJ is wiped....not 100% but mostly 50/50. On one hand, if they do wipe it...its a real dick move and its pretty much telling all the authors "hey...F U, your work is no longer valid". Which I know some here, will not care however and say they didn't like some of the post-ROTJ stories but I guess I am looking at it from an author standpoint and seeing it as if

"Oh yay, I contributed something to a vast universe!"

"Wait what? Now all the hard work I put in, is all for nothing?" :(

I guess I am more or less feeling sorry for the authors, because they put so much time and effort into expanding the SWU..

Yet on the other hand, I haven't really followed much of the post-ROTJ and so I don't have any favored characters that will be getting the chopping block should they decide to remove the post-ROTJ. My fave chars, are usually in the GCW era and back in the time, so it still includes Luke in there.

Now I do have one fave char post-ROTJ, Kir Kanos....the guy is just a straight up boss and Crimson Empire is really good. However...he may not get on the chopping block in the extreme sense as his story is more of a lone type of thing, though he does at points meet with Luke...but nothing too big, and I am recalling there isn't anything big that would have the character retconned out of existence.

Of course now...if the EU is retconned, then I can see people being up in arms about characters no longer being around, but for me its not really an issue.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

You do realize that the novels were always subject to being overruled by the movies? Every author knew that from the start so there's hardly going to be any hard feelings on their part. Furthermore, I believe most of it was written before EP I if I'm not mistaken and that's a long time ago, too long for them to even really care at this point. The PT already overrules many of the books in small ways.

For example, Luke says in the Black fleet crisis that Yoda was on Dagobah for a 100 years before he met him and that Yoda went there to get away from his power. I mean... how wrong is that in SO many ways? Pretty much everything said about the Era before EP 4 in the EU is blatantly wrong. Getting outraged this time around is just getting outraged for the sake of getting outraged.