New PT looking for advice

AgrippAA

Hi all,

A friend and I are leveling up together and i decided to roll a PT to be able to tank. I've been looking around on them interwebs to find some guides but alot of them seem to be a little old and potentially out of date. Is there an up to date guide somewhere that most people can agree on as being a good tanking guide for a PT? I don't mind learning my way into the class but I would like to do some research, that way if i rock up to a flashpoint I'm not an embarrassment.

Also i did read and search on the forums here but it was hard to find anything as there is alot of noise about the class and DPS output. Have i got the wrong class? I'm only looking to be a tank and i'm never going to be the best in the game or anything like that.

Many thanks to you all in advance for help and guidance.

Edited by AgrippAA

I would recommend starting with:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=643969

for general information and having a decent place to start with spec or gearing. I do not personally agree with some of the things in that topic, but most of the points are brought up in discussion through the topic if you have time to read through it all.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=616779

for gearing once you hit 55. Again, don't take any of this as an end-all, be-all. However, this seems to be widely accepted as a very accurate way of gearing for mitigation purposes, and is an excellent guideline in that regard.

At lower levels, it's really just a lot of trial and error. Pay more attention to mechanics and trying new things out, instead of trying to stick to a particular threat rotation or gearing style.

Until you get your high threat generating dot proc on ion gas cylinder, you'll want to use your highest damaging attacks first. Lead with DFA, run in with flamethrower, unload, rail shot, rocket punch, etc. As you don't start with a lot of agro control, compared to say sith assassin, who gets aoe high threat discharge at 14, when they get dark charge. But you get an *** ton of armor rating, resulting in high damage reduction, and some nice shield buffs (no dark ward for a 15% shield chance boost, but meh). Epic damage reduction, and decent shield/absorb, leads to excellent survivability. Grapple will become one of your best friends, and worst enemies. High threat generating pull ftw, but be careful. some mobs have knockbacks...so it's wise to not grapple anyone while you're near a ledge (happened to me once or twice and I got instantly knocked off ledge and dead). But grapple also makes for epic animation combos, such as grapple>unload>rocket punch. Also, at 19-20, try and get a full set of moddable (orange) gear, and fully mod it out, same for mako (run black talon with a couple agents to get moddable vibroknife from second boss, or purchase one at 22 from nar shadda equipment commendations vendor). Then upgrade at 25, 31, 37, 43, 50, 55. Will let you and Mako solo most 2 man heroics, and even a lot of 4 man stuff. like the 4 man area quests in the okara droid factory on balmorra.

Also, unlike some classes, who can get their other baseline talents (the 5-10 points they don't spend in whichever tree is their main) before their main talents, you really have to focus on tank tree first, since you don't get a lot of High Threat Generating attacks early on, so this will greatly help you hold agro. The only tanks who are actually fine getting baseline talents first are Shadows/Assassins, imo.