The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why I don't like Noxxic.com's PT tank guide

While I don't claim that my knowledge is perfect, but still Noxxic is clearly bad

http://noxxicsucks.blogspot.fi/2013/06/noxxics-guide-for-powertech-shield-tech.html

Not sure why they are so far out with their tank specs (65% absorbtion.. :rolleyes:) I generally quickly check noxxic for most other classes though I rarely use any "guide" as the perfect thing to do anyway. However it seems kinda pathetic to me that someone needs to create a website to bash another website rather than contribute or create their own guide.

As my powertech is on hold at max level I'm not totally in the picture about state balance however in case taugrimms guide still holds some value this

Also there should not be any "greater than" symbols between defense and absorption. Optimizing tank gear is not about one stat always being better than the other, but about finding the optimal ratio of how much each stat compared to the others you want to get the best damage mitigation.

is just trying to find arguments for no reason. Wasn't it always first priority to get your absorbtion/ shield evenly up before stacking your defense?

And Accuracy should not be in the list at all. No tank should use gear with accuracy, especially not Powertechs for whom it is perhaps even more important to take all the shield rating they can get.

I remember people considering stacking accuracy (after they hit their caps on absorb/ shield and def) for a better threat though I never did on my powertech. There are some considering stacking Endurance though I was never a fan of that because most people just stacked Endurance before stacking their def stats because it looked more "impressive".

I do agree on other stuff he wrote though in the end, they generalize a lot of informations and even the guy writing this blog is using same sentences on his reviews.... not very original either. Point is.... people which take guide as "must follow 1:1" will never be good players because obviously they don't understand why they have to do it this way, same goes with the spec. I usually set all my points, cross check with favourite builds here, on other sites and on noxxic because I might have missed something important.

I think Tanks need a little bit of accuracy,you gotta hit stuff to hold aggro, you can't just taunt all the time because they have cooldowns. FT and FS build threat more so than other abilities, however if they miss you're just wasting 25 of your precious heat, which we all know sucks to manage in tank spec. Although I have noticed its gotten a little better with flame engine procs.

However it seems kinda pathetic to me that someone needs to create a website to bash another website rather than contribute or create their own guide.

Not any more pathetic than you calling someone pathetic for bashing a website while you yourself are in the same sentence in turn bashing his website. That you do it in a forum post makes no difference.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't really care if you do or not. Please feel free to say whatever you want.

And I don't really "need" to create anything. I just do whatever I want.

Noxxic is very popular website and I don't like them using that position to spread false information just because they don't care if their information is correct or wrong. As long as they can pretend to know what they are talking about, in the eyes of new players who don't know better, they keep getting traffic to their website and keep getting the same money from their advertisers either way so they never need to correct any of their errors.

I would have preferred to instead just to help noxxic to correct some of the wrong information in their guides, but they refused to do anything about it and do not even explain why they would not change anything.

At least that blog did create enough attention as it looks like that just today they finally decided to make few (but not all) of the corrections I suggested.

And sometimes it does help to learn to understand things better to just see it explained why something is wrong. I don't really know why many people have a problem with that.

As for making my own guides, yes I could do that someday, if there are people who want one. Not really sure what to make of the feedback I keep getting.

is just trying to find arguments for no reason.

As a matter of fact, it isn't. It's making a very important point.

Wasn't it always first priority to get your absorbtion/ shield evenly up before stacking your defense?

There's no such thing as a stupid question, unless the question itself makes a baseless pre-assumption.

You are assuming things will always be as they have always been. Well I have news for you. Things change.

Long time ago it was indeed very common for most theorycrafters to suggest just stacking shield rating and absorption rating and only start including defense after a certain point.

You probably have not heard about it but there was this thing called patch 2.0 which raised the level cap and rebalanced the gains from tanking stats among other changes.

Now even if it was (hypothetically speaking) still good idea to just stack shield and absorption first, just saying "Wasn't it always" is not a valid reason to do so.

And if we now look at the work of theorycrafters who have done calculation of what stat combination provides best mitigation it looks like just the opposite.

like these

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=616779

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=645948

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=567164

(For the record I do like the second one better, at least for Powertechs)

Despite their differences the common trend is that the lower the amount of total stats you have, the more defense heavy the stat distribution should be, while absorption becomes more significant only at higher stat budgets.

But I do welcome people with different ideas for how to gear up, but they better make a damn good case for it.

I remember people considering stacking accuracy (after they hit their caps on absorb/ shield and def)

Since there are no actual "caps" for absorption, shield or defense, at least not within the amounts you can reach with the amounts of stats you can have on gear, I'm not really going to take such considerations into consideration.

and even the guy writing this blog is using same sentences on his reviews.... not very original either.

This is again not saying anything.

Not any more pathetic than you calling someone pathetic for bashing a website while you yourself are in the same sentence in turn bashing his website. That you do it in a forum post makes no difference.

So we are both pathetic... and while a lot of your concerns/ corrections are perfectly valid it would have had an entirely different touch if you wouldn't have mentioned Noxxic at all.

As I am far from considered a good player, noxxic did confuse me with the accuracy at the front of their stat priority. I love my PT Shield Tech. I was looking for what is considered the ideal stat range for shield absorb and def rating. I have seen some people say 50-60% on absorb and 50% on shield. Just looking for a little push in the right direction. Thanks to any help.

I have seen some people say 50-60% on absorb and 50% on shield. Just looking for a little push in the right direction. Thanks to any help.

That was before patch 2.0 and at level 50. You can't really get that now that level cap is 55.

Percentages are not really very useful way to guide someone how to gear up as they don't tell how many mods with each stat you might want as easily as raw numbers of amounts of ratings.

If you really want percentages I did some calculations that one of the bis setups suggested somewhere would be somewhere near

21% defense (includes 2% from set bonus and all other possible buffs)

42% shield chance (going to take some augmenting for shield rating)

41% absorption

but that's just at 2600 total stat budget.

But seriously just follow one of the guides at the tanking forums

http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=73

like these

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=616779

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=645948

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=567164

(For the record I do like the second one better, at least for Powertechs)

As they show how some people calculated the optimal distribution between defense, shield and absorb for different stat budgets

Edited by Eternalnight

• 2 weeks later...