The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard Ranged..

meaghs

Hellos...

When reviewing the skill set of the vanguard I always come away with the impression that the Vanguard is a melee DPS class if he is not tanking, since near every rotation includes gut or SS. However I've read a few mentions off-site and heard other people say Vanguard is or can be a Ranged DPS build.

Any input on what a ranged DPS build would look like and what rotation you'd go through (post 2.0)? thanks - M.

Ranged vanguard is virtually impossible since every hit worth mentioning is within 10m range. If you want a ranged trooper play a commando, hell use a rifle if you don't like the cannon. You really can't play a vanguard ranged in any sort of serious content, you could probably level that way but even then it would be tedious.

Ranged vanguard is virtually impossible since every hit worth mentioning is within 10m range. If you want a ranged trooper play a commando, hell use a rifle if you don't like the cannon. You really can't play a vanguard ranged in any sort of serious content, you could probably level that way but even then it would be tedious.

Yes I agree with you. That was / is my sentiment. I do not play my Vanguard ranged.. am not a noob Vanguard... I am not interested in playing a commando. I am interested if anyone has tried to develop or experimented with a ranged dps build for the vanguard and if they did, how they did it. I do realize that it wouldn't / couldn't be an optimized build because it wouldn't have SS/Gut or even Pulse Generator among other skills.

so... as my initial post mentioned, does anyone have [useful] input on what a ranged DPS build would look like and what rotation you'd go through (post 2.0)? Positive replies only please - ie if you've done this or experimented with it. Negative replies stating the obvious not needed. thanks. - M.

Edited by meaghs

I don't think anyone has ever experimented with a ranged VG build because quite simply it doesn't exist.

Full Auto, Explosive Round, Hammer Shot, Sticky Grenade. All very, very basic ranged moves.

I understand the question you're asking, but it's just not possible to be a viable ranged VG no matter how hard you try.

No that's not true.

I've seen ranged vanguards many times, sometimes DPS, sometimes tanks.

Nothing more pathetic than watching a vanguard stand at the same range as a commando unable to use his bread and butter attacks like stockstrike and ion pulse, having nothing to attack with except default attack when they used up Full Auto and Sticky Grenade.

Saw someone doing that in a flashpoint maybe 2 months ago, I ended up doing basically all the damage that run.

If I can cover for someone being special then fine, if they're crippling the group content I'm in by playing their class badly on such a fundamental level then I'll try to kick them or leave myself.

Edited by Gyronamics

In Assault you can go mid range of up to 10m. SS while having a higher chance of proccing HIB deals less damage than IP+DoT. Everything else used in Assault rotation is 10m. So while not ideal it is somewhat viable to be a mid-range class. Can't really think of too many fights where being in the 4-10m range is of significant benefit.

Tactics is not possible due to needing to be within 4m for Gut and SS, both core abilities in the rotation.

Shield Spec also gets many benefits from SS so tanking at beyond 4m does not work too well. While again the 4-10m works on everything else a tank uses (not ES) it is sacrificing threat and hampering generation of Power Screens/Energy Blast thus lowering mitigation.

Since you asked for positive answers only, the only option is Assault and even that is not recommended by any means.

Edited by Darth_Dreselus