fishing : be mindfull

abishe

today i was called so called tech that my computer was infected by Trojan and that my computer was infecting others.

so played the game along, first he did wanna me to run event viewer, and look to some error's and warning.

then, he try install a remote software, teamviewer *still was playing the game.

he was talking about Trojans being dangers and stuff, then he talk about microsoft defender was expired. ?

then i was getting really creep out., still playing alone.

now his point was coming to surface, he was trying to fishing my CC information.

his Phone nummer=001254256589

be careful when you being called, with lies.

Some stranger rang you about your pc?

Did he say he worked for BW or something?

Bioware will never call a customer, at least that's what they always say.

and he did not claimed to be from Bioware, i not sure what *company* he represented

he was talking very poor English, he sounded like a guy from India *he was in a sort of call center*

lot of other people talking

Yep. A Google search of that number, with and without the two zeroes in front, comes up as suspicious. Seems to have offended quite a few people from The Netherlands especially.

I never answer the phone if I don't recognize the number. If the call is legitimate- they can leave a message and I'll decide if I need to ring them back. If a caller is persistent, the number gets blocked. I also use Google to see if there is a history of that number harassing others.

I got a phonecall not too long ago from someone claiming to be working with my ISP. Saying he needs access to my computer as I seem to be trying to spread viruses. I hung up and haven't heard from them since.

These scams are so obvious it makes me cringe.

Considering that your ISP could close a port to prevent any virus from being spread and THEN call you to tell you what you after, yeah, that's a scam.

Also, the OP mentioned that he was told that Windows Defender had "expired"? Yeah, that can't happen either. That comes free with Windows 7, and so long as you don't have a real antivirus program, it updates automatically.

I've only ever gotten a call like that once, and, being an IT professional, I know what they are looking for. The guy was phishing, and I played along to an extent, giving him a hard time the whole way, saying "If you're my ISP, you should know this.", and giving them false information the whole way. And then I finally got bored, I finally said "It's plain to see that you're NOT my ISP. I've already got your number, despite your attempt to hide it(it came up as 000-0000 on my caller ID, which was my first indication that it was NOT my ISP), and I've already contacted the police with my cell phone. So please, continue to dig yourself a deeper hole so I have MORE to report."

Got hung up on after that, and never received another call like that again while I lived there. And yes, I did report them to the police. Identity theft is a crime, and that's what they were attempting to do.

I've had this type of call once too.

My mom got called by a center, and because she don't understand english, she asked me to speak to the man.

They asked me to do different things on my computer, I didn't really trust the company and I waited till I heard some sense into the story.

As he gave the phone to someone else, she asked me to get Teamviewer prepped, and asked my number etc.

They wanted me to delete important files from my PC which would cause it to have a security failure, then place a few virusses in.

Same company, because it sounded like they were from india too.

Called by a stranger talking to you how to deal with a virus on a pc he shouldn't know you ever got? Sounds legit. Obvious scam there. It's actually pathetic. Almost like an Albanian virus.

True, but there are a TON of clueless people out there.

You have funny people calling your line...

The "biggest" scam attempts I had were :

- ping calls from phone numbers which cause extra-payment that remunerates the owner of the number

- SMS asking to call back a suposedly missed call from a phone number which cause extra-payment that remunerates the owner of the number

- SMS asking to follow a link in order to be able to consult a MMS I suposedly couldn't receive.

I never had something as daring as directly asking info.

Edited by Altheran