How do you pronounce SWTOR?

Vankris

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i kinda say Sow-Tor, but that may not be a correct way, i am not an english native speaker.

How do you do it?

I would probably say "Swuh-TOR", but to non-gamers I usually just say "the new Star Wars MMO" and then explain what MMO means. To other gamers I refer to it as "the Old Republic"

I think the one thing we can take away from this is nobody knows what the eff the standard way to pronounce it is.

There isn't typically a "standard way" to pronounce initialisms. SW:TOR isn't an acronym so I either drop the SW and call it "tore" or just say The Old Republic. The latter is probably more appropriate.

Well if I pronounce something then I'm saying it out loud, so I say "The Old Republic". I also don't say OMG or *** in real life either though, so your mileage may vary.

Oddly though, I say WoW in real life but usually just type out World of Warcraft. To be fair though, WoW is more ingrained in people and culture now though, and SWTOR has just come out.

"sweater" and "sweator"

I am in the same boat as this person. I typically pronounce it as "sweater"... only those who actually know what I am talking about will understand. My wife, on the other hand, just looks at me like I am crazy. "Why would you want to play with your sweater?" He he.

• 6 months later...

Guys it's not pronounced SWHOA-TOR. Anyone who pronounces it like that is just being silly. First off SWTOR is an acronym/initialism not a word. S- STar W-Wars T-The O-Old R-republic.There is no O after the SW, hence why do we pronounce it with an accent on the SW that sounds like SWOAH?

People pronounce it SWOA-TOR, because of KOTOR, KOAH-TOR.

The proper why to pronounec SWTOR is to pronounce the SW so it sounds like SWeh. It's like wet without the T.

"WeH" is the way we all pronounce the W sound. Add the S you get "Sweh", then add the TOR, you get, SWEH-TOR

But the "eh" sound is rather short to the point it is barely noticable.

SWEH-TOR not SWOAH-TOR

If it's stupid to prounce Nuclear like NEW-QUE-LAR then it's stupid to pronounce SWTOR like SWOAH-TOR.

Edited by Targarion