The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Dyes - Constructive Feedback

I love that you've put a dye system in the game, but I feel it missed the mark in a couple of areas.

Color Matching

Most of the dye colors feel like they were plucked at random from a Pantone book, rather than chosen to fit the colors already present in game. A great first step would have been to look at the color crystals. You already have a sizable palette of colors available as color crystals, and many "fashion-conscious" players like their color crystals to accent or match their armor, rather than clash with it.

For example, almost all blue color crystals lean more towards green than purple. The blue dyes, however, lean more towards purple than green. This makes most blue color crystals clash with blue dyed armor. Another example would be how the Pink-Purple color crystal has a warmer, brighter color than the Deep Pink and Deep Purple Dye Module. As yet another example, the lighter shades of green dye (Deep Green and Medium Green) are slightly more blue toned and duller than the various green color crystals.

Some colors that players want are missing altogether. Where is a Cyan dye? There are lots of items with a cyan blue glow/light accent, in addition to cyan color crystals. Where is Havoc Squad Orange? We only have two shades of orange available in dye form, and neither match iconic orange found on lots of Trooper armor. One is too pale and washed out, the other is too deep and paired with red.

The System That Could Have Been

I feel that dye modules would have been much more successful and satisfying for players if they had been individual color modules that could be combined in any combination the player wants. Instead, we're stuck with combinations chosen for us, or a few single colors that only change a part of the armor.

I propose a system where all dye modules begin as Primary or Secondary, and an item to combine two colors of your choosing is purchased from the Cartel Market. The interface for this item could be simple, like a two slot item modification window, where you put in a Primary and Secondary module. It would make the players happy and would surely bring in lots of money.

Thank you for taking the time to read my feedback. :)

Edited by sugarnails

• 8 months later...
I agree, I wanted to do Havoc squad orange with all my troops too, or blue like the security forces, or even the same green as the mod-able chest peace you can get from the store but the only way to get that green is to give all my guys the same chest peace defeating the point of mod-able gear. I want the color but I want different armor that better suits there roles.

I'd rather all dyes were either Legacy unlockable or craftable. There are a few dye's I'll never be able to get because they are millions on the GTN. I am NOT paying millions for a one use dye, ever.

I agree the color matching is fairly broken. In fact, some armor pieces have parts that just don't even dye at all when you add the module. For example,. the collections unlockable Casus Fett armor, when you add the dye the cape does not dye. Or the Bastila Shan chest piece, the part around the neck doesn't dye.

Edited by DarthVengeant