Cross server PvP discussion.

MagnysDarksong

So, I've seen a few threads with this mentioned but haven't seen anything from bioware about it. Thought I'd throw up a thread and get some discussion going on the topic.

Personally, I could take it or leave it.

In WoW, I feel like it killed PvP tbh. With its introduction, came the pvp bots and it became a crapshoot on who was going to win the BG (team with the least bots).

In Rift, I feel like they made it work well enough until they did away with the faction barrier, but that's neither here nor there.

In old school WoW I was in a little RP guild or unguilded at the time, can't recall exactly, but I had a constant spot with the big PvP guild. They knew they had a solid healer when they saw my name. The comradarie was great. Then it was all gone, you never faced the same people twice it felt like. Same in rift, never fought the same people twice. Then comes SWTOR and the comradarie returned! I've been overjoyed to pvp with and against most of you time and time again. Even if you're repeatedly roflstomping me. It just pushes me to get better, or ask questions, or ask for advice.

With cross server, yes, the ques will be shorter, but it will be a lesser experience. Bots will run to a node to guard and get their 1 medal to earn valor/comms and then sit idle for the match. There will be no comradarie outside of pugging for premades on the fleet.

Guess it boils down to a quality over quantity issue. I prefer quality.

Personally I think they should only make cross server for ranked, not regs. Ranked warzones barely pop if at all, but regs in BC pop just fine. I like our pvp community, it is relatively balanced.

Every time I log on the same people are carping at each other about pvp in global channels. Every time pvp is brought up on the forums the same people carp at each other in any thread one or the other posts in.

The concept that BC has some community that is worth preserving is foreign to me.

Bring on the cross server so people can have other folks to complain about.

I dont like the fact that if you queue immediately after the end of a match you have a very high probability of getting the exact same opposition. It makes pvping very boring for me as I keep seeing the same faces over and over again. Its fine if you end up against a pre-made while solo queuing once or twice. But 4-5 times in a row against the exact same premade takes the fun out of pvping, at least for me.

Every time I log on the same people are carping at each other about pvp in global channels. Every time pvp is brought up on the forums the same people carp at each other in any thread one or the other posts in.

The concept that BC has some community that is worth preserving is foreign to me.

Bring on the cross server so people can have other folks to complain about.

Well I wouldn't expect you to understand since you and your guildies dont really PvP much. I have been pvping here since the server transfers. I have been on both factions and have gotten to know many of the pvpers on both sides. Just because we sometimes argue in game, or in the forum doesn't mean that we hate each other. We have differing opinions on things, thats life. But if I was giving the choice of staying here with them or having a free server xfer I would stay. Why? Because in the end its a game, and I enjoy the competition they offer.

The only analogy I can think of is politics. You have two parties who have differing views and argue about them. At the end of the day, they represent the same country, and in this case the same server. Sometimes you need to look at the larger picture.

I dont like the fact that if you queue immediately after the end of a match you have a very high probability of getting the exact same opposition. It makes pvping very boring for me as I keep seeing the same faces over and over again. Its fine if you end up against a pre-made while solo queuing once or twice. But 4-5 times in a row against the exact same premade takes the fun out of pvping, at least for me.

Its a shame this never really works for me when I Q impside, there are premades that I would like to continue queuing against but we end up getting pugs or something :/ Unless its at midnight, thats usually when all the baby pubs are asleep and the infanoobs and lemons get their guys in every match.

I think I understand a bit more than you think I do.

Anyway, enjoy your Thursday ranked, I don't expect there will be much participation from Faceroll with Retal in any organized fashion in the future.

I think I understand a bit more than you think I do.

Anyway, enjoy your Thursday ranked, I don't expect there will be much participation from Faceroll with Retal in any organized fashion in the future.

Actually you don't. And that is to be expected. One of your guildmates already admitted that your "A" team doesn't want to fight us because you don't like what Neo writes on the forums. And just in case you didn't know (I wouldn't be surprised, they seem to keep you out of the loop anyways) your guys asked us to queue last night against your team. We had a dueling event scheduled last night, dont believe me, ask Andreus.

We had given up on the idea of practice ranked against faceroll when you guys started coming up with a bunch of excuses. The guild favorite is when you guys had to charge your "energy" for Friday ranked, but my personal favorite is that you guys won't fight us because Neo hurt your feelings :rolleyes:

Charge up energizer bunny :cool:

Edited by J_Fred

It will really be best from a lot of ways, you won't get the same pre mades 5 queue's in a row however you may get more pre made vs pre made with other servers in the mix. You will see guilds that you know have never faced before and have to react as the game unfolds which will make you a better player not this "I know this guys a healer and this person is good so I will focus them" type games.

In other words you'll have to work harder to win you'll have to be more aware you 'll face better players than you currently do and you can't be lazy in games or you'll end up losing a lot.

I look at this as a way to test myself as a player more becuase I'll be facing more variety. Saying your happy without cross server is like saying you don't want a challenge like your happy with doing the same lazy grind day in and day out.

This goes back to the best in class discussion how many people are even in the discussion for each class, now put those people in a group with the best from 12 other servers and maybe they shine and maybe they aren't even in the conversation. I at least would like to see where I stand, I would expect others to feel the same if they like a challenge.

It will really be best from a lot of ways, you won't get the same pre mades 5 queue's in a row however you may get more pre made vs pre made with other servers in the mix. You will see guilds that you know have never faced before and have to react as the game unfolds which will make you a better player not this "I know this guys a healer and this person is good so I will focus them" type games.

In other words you'll have to work harder to win you'll have to be more aware you 'll face better players than you currently do and you can't be lazy in games or you'll end up losing a lot.

I look at this as a way to test myself as a player more becuase I'll be facing more variety. Saying your happy without cross server is like saying you don't want a challenge like your happy with doing the same lazy grind day in and day out.

This goes back to the best in class discussion how many people are even in the discussion for each class, now put those people in a group with the best from 12 other servers and maybe they shine and maybe they aren't even in the conversation. I at least would like to see where I stand, I would expect others to feel the same if they like a challenge.

It has nothing to do with challenge. Your impside idk if you have a 50/55 pub but if you q over there and q over here you will notice that impside fights an uphill battle with our pugs. I don't disagree about cross server for ranked, that is definitely something I think we all agree on. But maybe its just me, but I enjoy fighting against the same good players in the regs. It gives you something to look forward to in wz. In cross server, the pool will be so big that we will most likely not come across that many players from our own server on our team or against us. For example you probably won't see a double infamous/asb premade or lemon/infamous premade again. Some people might like that but I wont :/

I think you will still from time to time run across those guilds it's just you'll face better ones in games and every game will be different. I prefer pre made vs pre made games because they are more of a challenge than rolling over a bad pug.

Also I don't think anyone wants to face some of these guilds in ranked first before they get a look at them in the regs. For a lot of their players this isn't their first MMO or their first game that they pvp'd in. In most cases what is considered an average guild there may pass for a good one here from a PVP standpoint.

I would not be suprised if guilds from the Bastion 3 capped and spawn camped some of our servers best guilds. That's what happens when you play the same people over and over. In wow which had more servers then 16 there were Battle Groups groups of servers and certain battle groups and certain servers were light years ahead of others.

The level of skill on some was nowhere close to others, a 2000 ranked team on one battle group would be a 2700 rated team on a lesser battle group becasue they had a softer PVP pool. When the best teams on one server moved to a heavy pop PVP server they were just another team because those heavy pop teams had been playing better teams there whole time and this other team was facing soft teams.

If cross server ranked did happen you will eventually get into an issue where one team will rise above all the rest and will have such a high rating that no one will ever be able to catch them in a typical season (if they have any) then you will face queue dogers (people who don't want to face a certain team if they know they are online) there are alot of mechanics with a larger ranked base that will come into play that people with Arena/ranked experience will take advantage of that most of you have no idea about. The PVP servers will be looking to be the top ranked teams in the game not just farm coms, win a few lose a few, post a few videos and bad mouth their fellow servers players.

Actually you don't. And that is to be expected. One of your guildmates already admitted that your "A" team doesn't want to fight us because you don't like what Neo writes on the forums. And just in case you didn't know (I wouldn't be surprised, they seem to keep you out of the loop anyways) your guys asked us to queue last night against your team. We had a dueling event scheduled last night, dont believe me, ask Andreus.

We had given up on the idea of practice ranked against faceroll when you guys started coming up with a bunch of excuses. The guild favorite is when you guys had to charge your "energy" for Friday ranked, but my personal favorite is that you guys won't fight us because Neo hurt your feelings :rolleyes:

Charge up energizer bunny :cool:

Lemmie put it this way.

1. Y'all are a bit too serious business for the people who founded Faceroll. We're not particularly interested in that.

2. Playing games with Deyvon and Ces sounds about as much fun to me as nailing the head of my pecker to a two by four and spinning said two by four like an airplane prop.

3. Involving our guild with you and your brother seems an awful lot like "sticking it in the crazy" to us, and if there's one thing you should never do it's stick it in the crazy. That's kind of the reputation you get when you create weird 9/11 truther style videos over a just for lulz duel tournament.

4. Saving our "energy" for friday ranked was a polite way of saying "we don't really want to play games with you, and dont feel a driving need to play ranked on off nights just because people we don't want to play games with cant join up on fridays". The reason you had a lengthy wait time is because the majority of our guild don't really want anything to do with you, so giving up on the idea of practice ranked with any organized faceroll team is probably a solid play.

Lemmie put it this way.

1. Y'all are a bit too serious business for the people who founded Faceroll. We're not particularly interested in that.

2. Playing games with Deyvon and Ces sounds about as much fun to me as nailing the head of my pecker to a two by four and spinning said two by four like an airplane prop.

3. Involving our guild with you and your brother seems an awful lot like "sticking it in the crazy" to us, and if there's one thing you should never do it's stick it in the crazy. That's kind of the reputation you get when you create weird 9/11 truther style videos over a just for lulz duel tournament.

4. Saving our "energy" for friday ranked was a polite way of saying "we don't really want to play games with you, and dont feel a driving need to play ranked on off nights just because people we don't want to play games with cant join up on fridays". The reason you had a lengthy wait time is because the majority of our guild don't really want anything to do with you, so giving up on the idea of practice ranked with any organized faceroll team is probably a solid play.

So why did you guys ask Retaliation to queue last night in the first place then, and then spread out the games so much that Retaliation had to not just postpone by an hour or so, but cancel, previously planned events?

I'd been looking forward to that dueling session for several days as a way of blowing off steam during an incredibly busy workweek combined with court summonses. I actually didn't want to be all srs bsns last night, but your guild's antics really had some ancillary effects that made me go into (or rather stay in) srs bsns mode when I didn't want to be. And because your guild felt like wasting so much of Retaliation's time last night, I was left hanging and still don't know when it'll be rescheduled.

If you didn't want to do ranked with them, why not tell them straight up instead of pretending to be in queue and then inventing all those excuses?

Signed,

Andreus

Well to be fair to Faceroll, I was the reason for the delay of the Hypergates. I was asked while I was in a match already. They lost two and then had to find replacements for the Huttball. Ideally you don't have turn over on your team between matches, but that isn't always possible.

You guys contradict yourselves way too often. Might want to come to an agreement on what your final excuse is, because we are hearing wildly different things from others wthin your guild. And as Andreus said, why did you ask us to queue? Apparently the sudden lack of interest to fight us was because the big bad neo cruelly hurt mallos feelings. I gotta give it to you guys though, most creative excuses ever. Charging our batteries. Oooh, yeah we were gonna queue but we had a sudden raid (quick everyone get into EV!), we don't have enough people on ( you do know about the who tab right? If you said "we don't have our a team on, that would have been more believable.), and now NEO hurt our feewlings! Too bad it took you this long to just blame it on neo, especially when other guilds have already been doing that for so long. ;) Oh and we aren't a serious guild, its casual. :)

Andy the new date is on our site. Let me know if that works for you.

Edited by PoliteAssasin

I do find it amazing how someone always manages to derail a thread that has nothing to do with myrm or Neo or their guild by taking pot shots.

Keep it on topic please.

If your posts aren't edited to something on topic by the time I get off work, I'm flagging the lot of them.

Kudos and thanks to those if you who have kept it on topic and have tried to have a productive discussion.

Lemmie put it this way.

Like I said, it seems like your not really kept in the loop these days. Oh and I'm sorry Ces and Deyvon scare you...well actually I'm not. (they are in a couple of these screenshots btw, so brace yourself!)

http://i41.tinypic.com/2my9cpl.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/333hile.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2po1g80.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/1reotw.jpg

Just FYI, there are some people in ASB and Infamous we don't always get along with. But you never see any of us QQ and leave a warzone match because of it, or not queue up because of it. That is a whole new level of nerd QQ. And just like Andy said, we had an event scheduled for that night until you guys asked us to queue for ranked. You might want to talk to "chief" about why they are leaving you out of these oh so important decisions :rolleyes:

I can see the appeal of having more frequent Ranked ques, and having a bigger pool of talent for ranked... but again, with the cross server in plain ol' pvp, you run into the botting and the general "i dont care, i just want my marks, lets lose and get this over with" attitude. If theres little chance of seeing these people again, whats to keep everyone from going full blown ****** mode? I see it enough as it is when you're very likely to be friends with someone in this twerp's guild.

My example of said twerp is not aimed at anyone specific, just the general tool that rants and tells everyone to go kill themselves for "letting" the other team score/cap/etc framing it as "you guys let them do this" like they're the only one who wasnt in the wrong.

Even worse, theres already little to no communication among the average pug pvp team, and these are people you see on a regular basis... imagine how that would work with people you'll likely never see again.

Again, pros and cons for me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Rift seems to have done it well, WoW did it well for arenas, but piss poorly for standard battlegrounds (bots and whatnot).

GW2 had an interesting take with WvWvW, but there are PvE objectives in those, and people get pissy when you put PvE objectives in their PvP areas.

Didnt PvP much in the other MMOs i played, or any at all rather. Aside from the occasional ganking i received in Eve.

Que times are murder, more or less. at least at the hours ive been playing. I can really see the appeal of shorter que times, but again it comes back to quality vs quantity. Ive had some good matches the last couple of nights on Atarith. We lost our fair share, but we put up a fight. More so thursday night than friday night, but fun was still had.

ANYWAYS...

Cross server pvp sounds good to me. More pops, more variety, more server pride, less drama, less down time. I hope they do it. At the very least I hope they do it for ranked.

=) I agree Jordo. It'd make the most sense for ranked since then you can truly rank yourselves against everyone else. (If you're into that sorta thing.)

I wish for regular warzones it would try to keep it in server first and then after... say... 3 or 5 minutes it would put ya in a cross server queue instead. That way there'd still be some sense of accountability for your actions, (for those that need it,) and you'd rarely have a queue longer than 5 mins.