Collections feature is a joke.

Raansu

I see benefits and negatives for the collections bit. One benefit here is that if you have a set of armor from cartel packs the you bought from GTN, then you can spend a lot less credits and cartel coins to supposedly unlock that for all characters on your account. So instead of spending a ton of credits or a ton of cartel coins to get another set, I can just transfer it back in and have multiple copies.

I think the problem here is that the tool tips don't accurately tell you much. I have a light saber on one character and a blaster on another. If i'm on my Jedi, I can unlock the blaster for all characters but can only transfer the light saber to my character and it's bound. Another slight issue is t hat people complain about having the same item and it's bound to that character. I think that is done to keep you from posting that reclaimed item on the GTN and really messing up the economy. A better solution may be to make it account bound. That keeps the items off the GTN and makes people happy for not having to spend more cartel coins to get it for all characters.

The major issue I see is that with armor sets, you have to find the whole set to be able to purchase it through collections. What if I don't like the whole set or I do but don't have all the pieces yet? Should be able to get the parts I do have through the details.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So as a subscriber, I have to pay more to unlock a species that should of been in the expansion...

You lost me here. Even if I agree that Cathar should have been implemented in ROTHC. How are you paying for the species? Did you actually buy extra Coins? I get 600 coins on Saturday. That covers the unlock right there.

Granted, the collections system is a bit silly and probably could be something free to subscribers but I don't really see why I'd need to copy, say....a bunch of Cathar Honor Swords or something. The biggest issue, as it stands, is the one that most people are properly pointing out in terms of armor sets and individual pieces.

Edited by AlyxDinas

Strange, I don't believe I was misled.

And guess what? Don't use the system. There ya go -- doesn't "exist" for you. Sorry, but it isn't useless. I will use it happily, as will MANY other people who have been RAVING about this addition since it was announced.

Sorry, you don't matter more than anyone else.

yah it's people like you that let BioFail continue to bs everyong.

The collection **** is a joke. I have color crystals and other items that aren't even *********** showing up....for color crystals do I have to PAY credits to remove it from my weapon in order to get it? what ******** is that??

BioFail can't do ANYTHING right...and people like you continue to defend them and accept this sub-par ********.

it is EXACTLY **** like this update that caused SWTOR to fail and fail hard so it had to go f2p before it was even a year old. A joke in and of itself.

BioWare should stick to Single Player RPG's..they're the ONLY thing they can do halfway right

Yes I would. It's totally useless. We were deliberately mislead yet again.

I'm enjoying the new collections system. Just this morning I spent a whopping 60 CC coins to unlock the Aratech Nethian speeder. That was 60 coins for an account wide unlock. So that instantly gave the Aratech Nethian to 19 other characters. Heck of a deal to me. I'm glad now that I sold off a truck load of Nethians last week that I was stockpiling.

TL;DR I saw what was coming... and I prepared for it. I even bottom fished a few pieces of sets of the GTN that I would need to have a full set so I can pull an account wide unlock trigger on the sets at my liesure in the future.

yah it's people like you that let BioFail continue to bs everyong.

The collection **** is a joke. I have color crystals and other items that aren't even *********** showing up....for color crystals do I have to PAY credits to remove it from my weapon in order to get it? what ******** is that??

BioFail can't do ANYTHING right...and people like you continue to defend them and accept this sub-par ********.

it is EXACTLY **** like this update that caused SWTOR to fail and fail hard so it had to go f2p before it was even a year old. A joke in and of itself.

BioWare should stick to Single Player RPG's..they're the ONLY thing they can do halfway right

I'll give you due credit.. you are a classic internet gamer stereotype. You have your profanity and your Bio** this and Bio** perjorative talking points properly rehearsed too. You the man. :)

BioWare does an amazing job at disappointing people. I saw this collections thing and was surprised to see I could copy the lightsaber I was currently using. This made me hopeful that finally BioWare did something cool and I could get all my speeders on all my toons. Of course I found out to do so I have to spend more money to unlock the item on all my toons and of course I was 100% not surprised.

So as a subscriber, I have to pay more to unlock a species that should of been in the expansion, and as a subscriber I have to spend more money to unlock items I have already purchased before to have access on other toons. But hey, I can make multiple copies of that item on a toon that already owns it because I totally need multiple copies of an item that I cannot share with my alts.

Please tell me BioWare, what are the perks of subscribing again? Because I seriously feel like we are being milked just as much as the F2P players. I get the need for the cartel market with the game having a hybrid of subs and F2P, but please, stop screwing over your F2P players. This collections feature you added should be free to subscribers. You charging us more money to unlock these items we have already purchased is a slap in the face to us. I am finding less of a reason every day to continue supporting this title.

I've been around since launch, I've enjoyed the game and I still do for the most part. But I'm slowly but surely getting very frustrated with the lack of concern towards pvp, the constant cartel updates and the lack of content for subscribers, and subscribers in general just being treated like second class. Why bother having a subscription if there is really no benefit to it other than having access to end game? The amount of features constantly added that require cartel coins the game might as well go full blown F2P. I'm at the point now that if the relaunch of FF14 is solid I'm most likely never going to return to this game.

Optional feature is optional

Taking away established functionality for the sake of making more money from it is always a bad plan.

Toys were freely tradeable between characters after their initial acquisition. This has been removed purely for the sake of making money from it. It doesn't add benefit to the game at all. It does not add to the player experience. All it does is upset players, and line the pockets of EA.

Now, for items that were always BoE/BoP, I have no issues with the system, but these "toys", fluff items, fun items, were not bound. So the ability for a player to enjoy them as they saw fit was taken away and replaced with "you can enjoy them as you see fit, but only if you now pay us money to do so".

it does not matter if you are a sub or F2P, if you use your free CC or you buy CC, that is not the point. The point is, functionality and useability were removed from these items for the SOLE reason of making money off players.

It's a very cool idea but it's been badly implemented imo. I can't see how they fix it tbh seeing the interface for Revan's suit, for example, doesn't differentiate between the various parts.

/Kudos for the idea but 2 thumbs down for the mechanics involved.

A pity.

The major issue I see is that with armor sets, you have to find the whole set to be able to purchase it through collections. What if I don't like the whole set or I do but don't have all the pieces yet? Should be able to get the parts I do have through the details.

Not that hard really, and the payback is really high if you do. Typically if I am missing pieces, it's belt, wrist, maybe gloves. Those are easy to come by compared to chest, legs, boots. But it is going to get more difficult as people figure it out.

I have actually been bottom fishing the GTN the last week in preparation for this feature. I picked up almost all the odds and ends for the sets I am interested in for cheap and now I can unlock the collections feature whenever I am ready to use them on other characters.

It's a great system, with some constraints, all easy to work with. People that don't get it either are not trying, or they just want everything for free.. no credits, no coins, probably no scubsctiption either. I have no sympathy for those that cannot figure out how to properly use the new system.

Edited by Andryah

People were raving, yes, a large amount are no longer raving now that they realized they were tricked. But you Biodrones can't be reasoned with so I won't bother trying.

Your kind can't win or even have an argument without resorting to that little gem can you?

It's always "I'm right and you don't agree, you're a drone, you're stupid, and your mommy dresses you funny!"

It's your opinion that it's a joke, it's not a fact.

Not that hard really, and the payback is really high if you do. Typically if I am missing pieces, it's belt, wrist, maybe gloves. Those are easy to come by compared to chest, legs, boots. But it is going to get more difficult as people figure it out.

I have actually been bottom fishing the GTN the last week in preparation for this feature. I picked up almost all the odds and ends for the sets I am interested in for cheap and now I can unlock the collections feature whenever I am ready to use them on other characters.

It's a great system, with some constraints, all easy to work with. People that don't get it either are not trying, or they just want everything for free.. no credits, no coins, probably no scubsctiption either. I have no sympathy for those that cannot figure out how to properly use the new system.

While I agree with you that what's missing is generally the belt, gloves, etc. and that it has the potential to be a great system, I think more of the anger is about being lied to than about the actual system. Almost every interview with the devs stated something along the lines of "you can unlock items across accounts; so say you have Revan's mask, you can now unlock that for all your characters." Now it is, "hey cool, you have Revan's mask. Too bad you don't have the 5-6 million credits to get the belt and the gloves. Guess you can't unlock the mask on all your accounts."

I am pretty ticked off that I can't unlock the individual pieces of sets. I, like you, figured, hey might as well pick them up now, and I have most of the sets. But Revan's set is a whole different matter. I have the chest, lower robe, and mask. What I need are the gloves and sash. These are often not on the GTN or if they are they are 2-4 million credits a piece. It is unrealistic to make every player who has a Revan's mask pay to get those other pieces to unlock the mask on other players. Even BW noted that you could unlock the mask on its own for your account in interviews, but now they have gone back on that.

While I agree with you that what's missing is generally the belt, gloves, etc. and that it has the potential to be a great system, I think more of the anger is about being lied to than about the actual system. Almost every interview with the devs stated something along the lines of "you can unlock items across accounts; so say you have Revan's mask, you can now unlock that for all your characters." Now it is, "hey cool, you have Revan's mask. Too bad you don't have the 5-6 million credits to get the belt and the gloves. Guess you can't unlock the mask on all your accounts."

I am pretty ticked off that I can't unlock the individual pieces of sets. I, like you, figured, hey might as well pick them up now, and I have most of the sets. But Revan's set is a whole different matter. I have the chest, lower robe, and mask. What I need are the gloves and sash. These are often not on the GTN or if they are they are 2-4 million credits a piece. It is unrealistic to make every player who has a Revan's mask pay to get those other pieces to unlock the mask on other players. Even BW noted that you could unlock the mask on its own for your account in interviews, but now they have gone back on that.

Revans mask is part of a set, no? The most important part actually... and yes the entire set is pricey... so... you have to work for it a bit. Oh wait.. people only want the mask.. OIC.. they want their cake and eat it too. If the mask is important enough to have on all characters and companions on your account.. picking up the other pieces to unlock it is both economically sound and efficient compared to buying more Revans Masks

People were not lied to. They were not specifically told the rules for sets is all. And if they had been told, what exactly would be different? Nothing... except maybe a few days earlier raging in the forum is all.

Anything that is not an armor set is wide open for using this system to advantage. Armor sets.. it will depend on how serious you are about collecting the whole set. It's the price of admission.. work for it and reap the dividends of the new collections system. Would you rather be purchasing Revans Mask for all your characters?

And honestly.. if all the rage comes down to Revan's Masks.. that's kind of a sad commentary on the playerbase IMO.

Edited by Andryah

People were not lied to. They were not specifically told the rules for sets is all. And if they had been told, what exactly would be different? Nothing... except maybe a few days earlier raging in the forum is all.

Have to pass the bill before we can see what is in it....

Quote from a Dev's response to questions:

"For example, if you get Revan’s Mask for one of your characters and later destroy it, you’ll be able to re-claim the item from Collections at no extra cost. Heck, you can even claim free additional copies for all of your companions! The fee will only come into effect if you wish to gain account-wide access to the item, and this will be a one-time, account-wide fee. Continuing the above example, once you’ve paid the unlock fee for Revan’s Mask, all of the characters on your account—even those on different servers—will be able to claim unlimited copies of Revan’s Mask for free."

This is not technically true. You have to purchase all the other items in the set to get that unlock. It's misleading if not outright lying. An earlier answer included: "Once you have bound an item on a character, it becomes unlocked in your Collection and you can create unlimited copies for that character." Again, no mention of sets; it is set out as items being unlocked not sets being unlocked. I believe this to be lying, but you seem to hold a different opinion. I think you have to admit though that even if that is not lying, it is at the very least deceptive and misleading.

"For example, if you get Revan’s Mask for one of your characters and later destroy it, you’ll be able to re-claim the item from Collections at no extra cost. Heck, you can even claim free additional copies for all of your companions! The fee will only come into effect if you wish to gain account-wide access to the item, and this will be a one-time, account-wide fee. Continuing the above example, once you’ve paid the unlock fee for Revan’s Mask, all of the characters on your account—even those on different servers—will be able to claim unlimited copies of Revan’s Mask for free."

This is not technically true. You have to purchase all the other items in the set to get that unlock. It's misleading if not outright lying. An earlier answer included: "Once you have bound an item on a character, it becomes unlocked in your Collection and you can create unlimited copies for that character." Again, no mention of sets; it is set out as items being unlocked not sets being unlocked. I believe this to be lying, but you seem to hold a different opinion. I think you have to admit though that even if that is not lying, it is at the very least deceptive and misleading.

It isn't outright lying because they never clearly stated it, but the wording makes one believe it works one way, when they clearly made it work another way.

BioWare does an amazing job at disappointing people. I saw this collections thing and was surprised to see I could copy the lightsaber I was currently using. This made me hopeful that finally BioWare did something cool and I could get all my speeders on all my toons. Of course I found out to do so I have to spend more money to unlock the item on all my toons and of course I was 100% not surprised.

So as a subscriber, I have to pay more to unlock a species that should of been in the expansion, and as a subscriber I have to spend more money to unlock items I have already purchased before to have access on other toons. But hey, I can make multiple copies of that item on a toon that already owns it because I totally need multiple copies of an item that I cannot share with my alts.

Please tell me BioWare, what are the perks of subscribing again? Because I seriously feel like we are being milked just as much as the F2P players. I get the need for the cartel market with the game having a hybrid of subs and F2P, but please, stop screwing over your F2P players. This collections feature you added should be free to subscribers. You charging us more money to unlock these items we have already purchased is a slap in the face to us. I am finding less of a reason every day to continue supporting this title.

I've been around since launch, I've enjoyed the game and I still do for the most part. But I'm slowly but surely getting very frustrated with the lack of concern towards pvp, the constant cartel updates and the lack of content for subscribers, and subscribers in general just being treated like second class. Why bother having a subscription if there is really no benefit to it other than having access to end game? The amount of features constantly added that require cartel coins the game might as well go full blown F2P. I'm at the point now that if the relaunch of FF14 is solid I'm most likely never going to return to this game.

Thanks for posting this. I like the idea of the collections system, I am just a bit shocked and disgusted at the huge CC cost attached to it even for subscribers. 240 coins to unlock one pet. 60 coins per vehicle. Yes it's great that it unlocks them across all characters on your account. I just don't understand why there is any cost attached to it for subscribers. Apparently I should have been stockpiling all of my coins for the last 6 or so months. So tell me again what 'bonus' is there for subscribing? Very disappointed. Don't get me started on the cost for Cathar when last I checked I already paid money for this digital expansion.

My opinion that doesn't matter to any one else is this: I pay $15 a month, I bought the digital expansion. I'm still locked behind a pay wall for new features, and I really shouldn't be. I think it's disgusting. Nickel and dime the Free to Play folks, not your subscribers.

God people will moan about everything.

Collections is one of the coolest features they came up with. Declutters and enables you to duplicate items on all your alts for a small credit fee. What's not to like. I just spent 60coins, 1/10 of the monthly stipend on unlocking an emote on my main for all my alts which would otherwise cost me an arm and a leg in credits on the GTN. In theory that is, in practice there usually isn't even enough of the emote up there to buy it for all the alts.

So yea I got milked good. Keep stuff like this coming please.

Theres plenty of gripes with things in 2.1, collections tho, not one of them by a long shot.

Edited by aeterno

I read it, but when I read it I read it as the dev pointing out by way of an example (and IMO, he picked a bad one) how you recover an item you destroyed via the collections system without having to actually reaquire the item through purchase as well as making it clear that an unlock would be account wide, not server/legacy locked.

I agree with you that there was no mention of sets, one way OR the other. But think about this logically. I thought this one through last week and concluded that I better have all the pieces in a set to get the set unlocked.. because it makes perfect sense and is logical. Hence, I went bottom fishing the GTN for missing pieces on several sets I like and plan to use across characters (which by the way.. allowed me to also liquidate multiple copies that I have of these pieces for good profit on the GTN).

Edited by Andryah

God people will moan about everything.

Collections is one of the coolest features they came up with. Declutters and enables you to duplicate items on all your alts for a small credit fee. What's not to like. I just spent 60coins, 1/10 of the monthly stipend on unlocking an emote on my main for all my alts which would otherwise cost me an arm and a leg in credits on the GTN. In theory that is, in practice there usually isn't even enough of the emote up there to buy it for all the alts.

So yea I got milked good. Keep stuff like this coming please.

Theres plenty of gripes with things in 2.1, collections tho, not one of them by a long shot.

The collections system itself is a great system. However it was not implemented in what some would consider "best for the community". Functionality of items removed, requiring the full set before you can duplicate a single item, to name just a couple.

Items should be handled individually. If you get the complete set, great... but let people still duplicate individual items, even if they don't have the full set.

I read it, but when I read it I read it as the dev pointing out by way of an example (and IMO, he picked a bad one) how you recover an item you destroyed via the collections system without having to actually reaquire the item through purchase as well as making it clear that an unlock would be account wide, not server/legacy locked.

I agree with you that there was no mention of sets, one way OR the other. But think about this logically. I thought this one through last week and concluded that I better have all the pieces in a set to get the set unlocked.. because it makes perfect sense and is logical. Hence, I went bottom fishing the GTN for missing pieces on several sets I like and plan to use across characters (which by the way.. allowed me to also liquidate multiple copies that I have of these pieces for good profit on the GTN).

That doesn't mean the system was done well and doesn't have room for improvement.

I thought this one through last week and concluded that I better have all the pieces in a set to get the set unlocked.. because it makes perfect sense and is logical.

I have now heard it all. As 'colourful' stories go this one is up there with walking on water and an ark full of every animal. Thanks :w_cool:

Seriously though, every mention of the collection system involved the word 'item'. Noone mentioned 'sets' until today. The way the system was setup in the interview was completely logical. People buy single pieces more often than whole sets. As a self proclaimed GTN trend guru you know this better than most. The information pre 2.1 all pointed to a system that satisfied this aspect fully. The feeling of being misled is probably what most are annoyed about today. This system isn't close to satisfying as many people as what was announced by BW on May 6th.

Excuse the tone as I'm one of those who feel let down by this system and am probably letting that slip into this reply. However the main points of my argument remain. Had BW not released any info whatsoever regarding the collection feature I'd be here saying how interesting a system it was, even if flawed. Instead there's a general feeling of disillusionment among many who were looking forward to it after having read BW statements, myself included and it really is a pity.

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

Revans mask is part of a set, no? The most important part actually... and yes the entire set is pricey... so... you have to work for it a bit. Oh wait.. people only want the mask.. OIC.. they want their cake and eat it too. If the mask is important enough to have on all characters and companions on your account.. picking up the other pieces to unlock it is both economically sound and efficient compared to buying more Revans Masks

Anything that is not an armor set is wide open for using this system to advantage. Armor sets.. it will depend on how serious you are about collecting the whole set. It's the price of admission.. work for it and reap the dividends of the new collections system. Would you rather be purchasing Revans Mask for all your characters?

And honestly.. if all the rage comes down to Revan's Masks.. that's kind of a sad commentary on the playerbase IMO.

Again... lookie lookie how smart and impressive you are saying the exact opposite of what someone else is saying. Soooooooo intelligent and witty and so well informed.

People are upset because Revan's Mask was specifically called out in an interview. They used this as an example. The information was WRONG. Period.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.