The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why do EU get screwed with server down times.

Dathron

On Tuesday May 14th, all game servers, SWTOR.com, and the launcher will be unavailable as we perform scheduled maintenance. Game Update 2.1.0: Customization will be implemented during this downtime. Details are as follows:

Date: Tuesday May 14th, 2013

Duration: 5 hours

Time: 3AM PDT (10AM UTC) to 8AM PDT (3PM UTC)

Thank you for your patience as we maintain service for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

That for those of us in the EU is 10am GMT - 3pm GMT

And its always the same half our day gets taken away from us in the EU because they want to make it so the US guys are sleep while the servers are down.... its always been like this and its getting to the point where it annoys me especially when they're adding cool new features like the ones in 2.1

Because it is a choice between bring down the Servers when most (North) Americans players have gone to bed (aka, between 1 and 3 hours after midnight on the West Coast, aka PDT) and when most Europeans are at work or at School (aka the Morning and early afternoon), bring them down at European primetime (from when people come home around 4pm or so to midnight) (and also, lol no) and while most Americans are at Work or School, and bring them down during American primetime (lol no) and after most Europeans have gone to bed. This way of doing things does hurt the EU players more than the US, but it causes the least total inconvenience.

Also, they did bring the Servers in North America down for 2.0 at 9 pm EST, which is 6 pm on the West Coast, and either locale getting screwed out of Primetime is_much_worse then losing the late Night or the Morning/Early Afternoon.

Edited by Emperor-Norton

Being in Europe myself, I don't see the early afternoon as a peak time; as a tank, i can queue few hours for a group while it takes only minutes at 4am GMT. The good thing is we'll have the new goodies as soon as we're back from work or school, while the Americans will have to wait.

The bad thing is we're going to have the subsequent bugs and following downtime if any while the American will have everything cleared at peak time :eek:

Edited by Nkya

If they were to bring down the servers separately (midnight for US, midnight for EU) whoever got the patch second would be complaining that they're being treated like second class players and that they don't matter as much.

So, other than changing the way time works IRL, I don't think they could do anything to keep everyone satisfied.

10am GMT - 3pm GMT is a fine time. Most people are at work or at school anyway. It's unfortunate for those of us that can play earlier, but c'mon, it's just one day every once in a while and patches are rarely more than 2-3 hours anymore.

I think we can live with the occasional 5hr downtime, especially since we're talking about a big patch and not just a server reset.

Edited by TheNahash

I do not think we in EU got screwed at all...

It is actually the best time, for most people being at work, study, or any other thing we have to do in RL. (ya know, laundry, shower, shopping. seeking jobs, etc)

Well, sorry if OP has nothing better to do at early/mid day-time in Europe.

Your assertion is not true. Time before last there was a major upgrade that was smack in the middle of West Coast Pacific time in the US. That let EU play during the day. Perhaps you didn't even notice it because you got to play all day where I had to cool my jets during my prime time. That tells me they are trying to spread the pain a bit. Edited by MSchuyler

Both the younger and older people I play with would be unaffected by server downtime from 10am - 3pm in their time zone.

Are you unemployed? Or just have weird work hours?