The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Cartel Companions Unlock? Why NOT?!

So my friend and I were talking as he re-rolled an agent coming from a Bounty Hunter. He really like Mako as his first companion and suddenly came up with this idea.

Why not allow you to buy companions with Cartel Coins? :rak_03:

I get that most people play their characters and enjoy their companion through the story, but let's be honest some of our companions suck and we don't ever really use them. Why not allow me to have Mako on my IA if I buy her?

If not through the Cartel Market then why not add it to the legacy tab? They don't have to be capable of doing crewskills, but just spawnable and equippable so that we can have Mako over Dr. Lokin. Etc.

I could see this being really profitable as I would be willing to buy multiple companions rather than the ones I get stuck with. *looks at Vector*

Seconded.

This would only cause mass confusion, lore molestation and imbalance. I'd slit my wrists if i ever saw a Smuggler with Khem Val following him around.

Even though I agree, this is not desirable.... Han did have Luke. You could make a argument as to why a smuggler, based on lore, can have a Jedi companion.

Part of the reason of having different companions with each class is to add another challenge and something different when you make a new alt.

Even though I agree, this is not desirable.... Han did have Luke. You could make a argument as to why a smuggler, based on lore, can have a Jedi companion.

Part of the reason of having different companions with each class is to add another challenge and something different when you make a new alt.

I'd more of say Luke had Han, rather than the other way around.

I'm not against non-force users having Jedi/Sith companions. That's fine to an extent, i guess. However, i really don't see a logical explanation for a Smuggler hanging around with an ancient Dashade.

Or even a Trooper hanging around with Lord Scourge, the previous Emperor's Wrath.

Buying already existing companions off of the market? No. Definitely not.

Creating new companions for the market? Yes. Definitely. Though I'd rather them throw in new companions in a more HK-like fashion.

I agree with every word. I would just add that if more companions are going to be available, we need to be able to use more of them at a time. With the addition of HK and Lvl 55 I was disappointed that the crew skill limit did not go up.

Why would you get cognitive dissonance from having a Dashade following a smuggler around and not from having duplicates of the Dashade following numerous different Sith around, or from seeing someone as demure as Elara Dorne running around in a slave girl outfit?

I would certainly pay cartel coins to have Mako or Elara as healer in place of Tharan Cedrax...

The problem is, the companions are directly integrated into the single player campaign (i.e the story). The reason HK works is that HK was created and recorded with a universal mentality from the offset. As in they wrote his dialogue to apply to all classes. Mako, not so much... she would in essence be completely silent.

The only way I could conceive of this working is if they were restricted to endgame only (i.e. 55+), did not have affection, and only appeared as "guest" in your crew skills menu, meaning you could not send them out on crew skill missions.

If they made it an epic quest to get that companion like Hk-51 I could see it. But giving other classes the companions of others as easily as clicking an I Want It Here's a Thousand CCs button, as other said, it would be a lore gore fest.