The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

EA obtains exclusive rights to Star Wars.

how can this be good ?

I won't play any game that requires origin installed on my pc. so that basically ends my star wars gaming in total.

and that's only the most minor case I can think about.

worst case of course being that EA does what it did to:

bullfrog

westwood

mythic entertainment

origin systems

bioware

(there's more)

after which there will be no disney or lucas anymore. (unlikely due to the size of disney)

following different comments from various news sites (gaming related, computer non-gaming related, general)

I can't recall anybody liking this.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My issue with this is more so just the fact that someone has exclusive rights to making the games. No one else really has the opportunity to create something, now. And yes, I will admit, I have a bad taste in my mouth concerning EA.

I do not understand the hate for EA, sure they aren't the best company, but they let their developers do what they want.

Bioware is one of my favorite companies and I don't feel they changed much since being bought by EA.

Question (in earnest, here, as I've heard varying things): how many of the original team from Bioware are still around after acquisition from EA?

2:World of Warcraft was made by Blizzard released in 2004, 4 years before Activision was bought by Vivendi and became Activision Blizzard, so really it wasn't Activision's big hit. Besides that they aren't the only 2 MMOs neither was the first neither was the last, just because they are probably the most known doesn't mean EA copied Blizzard.

After having been away from WoW for several years, after my first day of playing SWToR a couple months ago and before I had ever visited the forums or read any reviews... you know what my concluding thought for the day of gameplay was? "My God, this feels so much like WoW."

3:SimCity did have a bad launch, and still has some issues but I play and enjoy the game. I have had very little issues with ToR and have been playing it since launch. And personally I don't unplug my computer from the internet ever, and in the rare hour or so it drops if it does I have plenty of other games to play or things I can do.

IMO, SimCity started going down the drain for me after SC2000 (once it went from Maxis -> EA). I was kind of OK with 3000, but some of the changes irked me. When I read some of the "features" to 4, I said screw it and never picked it up again.

Edited by FuryoftheStars

NO! NO! NO!

So, let me get this straight. First Disney shutdowns TCW... then they shutdown Star Wars: 1313 and Battlefront 3 and now they've handed over Lucasarts to the Worst Company in America? What are they on, death sticks?

These sequels better be good, Disney.

EDIT: There may still be a glimmer of hope, BioWare at least are still involved in making Star Wars games. But I guess we'll never see Obsidian make that game they were planning... and what about Traveller's Tales? I kinda liked those Lego games. :o

Edited by Beniboybling

Above all else, I would really love to see a new Star Wars RTS ala Empire at War style. Even though I still play Empire at War everyday, a new RTS would be nice to see.

Unfortunately that probably won't happen. And even if it does, they'll probably charge me a few bucks to recruit the Emperor. :rolleyes:

This will either be very good for Star Wars games, or very bad. Given the recent EA games, I'm going with the latter.

Perhaps with DICE in there we will see Battlefront 3. I think EA will want to take advantage of the Battlefront series' fame as best selling games. We all know how EA is.

You mean Battlefield 3 and I like there Battlefield games like the helicopter its the hardest to control and most realistic you can be flying in level flight on second and the next be heading to ground in an uncontrolled spin

An interesting article on the pros and cons of the EA/Lucasarts deal - pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter.

Read it here.

And yeah, with SWTOR up and running I doubt we'll see another Star Wars RPG for a long time - which is a real shame as Obsidian were planning one. Nonetheless if BioWare continue to expand SWTOR I will be placated - I do after all want this game to keep going for a long time.

Above all else, I would really love to see a new Star Wars RTS ala Empire at War style. Even though I still play Empire at War everyday, a new RTS would be nice to see.

Unfortunately that probably won't happen. And even if it does, they'll probably charge me a few bucks to recruit the Emperor. :rolleyes:

Omg sammmeeeeee :p

I Love that game!!!

On the EA suggestion list though, a lot of people have said a RTS, empire at war style with better graphics and Republic/CIS option (Not like we dont have that with mods anyway)

Omg sammmeeeeee :p

I Love that game!!!

On the EA suggestion list though, a lot of people have said a RTS, empire at war style with better graphics and Republic/CIS option (Not like we dont have that with mods anyway)

Well there is this mod. Which I am keeping an eye on. But I've been mainly playing FOC. Three-way battles are the best, imo. So unpredictable.

I actually haven't got FOC - just standard Empire at War. Don't ask me why but I just never got round to doing it and frankly I only ever play Empire - gotta love those Star Destroyers. So is it good? And what's this about three way battles?

As an added note, I must say I find conquest mode (non-story mode or whatever its called) somewhat frustrating. Anything medium and below is too easy, but when I play hard in the end the Rebels just spam Ion cannons everywhere which makes space battles (my favourite favourite thing) pretty crappy. So I just Death Star them. :p

Is FOC the same?

I actually haven't got FOC - just standard Empire at War. Don't ask me why but I just never got round to doing it and frankly I only ever play Empire - gotta love those Star Destroyers. So is it good? And what's this about three way battles?

As an added note, I must say I find conquest mode (non-story mode or whatever its called) somewhat frustrating. Anything medium and below is too easy, but when I play hard in the end the Rebels just spam Ion cannons everywhere which makes space battles (my favourite favourite thing) pretty crappy. So I just Death Star them. :p

Is FOC the same?

FOC adds a lot of new stuff for all of the factions, actually. In both Galactic Conquest and Skirmish. Empire gets the Executor, Dark Trooper (3 Dark Trooper Phases which can be classified as; Light, Medium and Heavy). and a few other new stuff i forgot about, since it's been so long.

I always thought the bots were quite cheap on higher difficulties, though. I always liked to play 2v2 with one of the bots on my team being a very elaborate mentally handicapped distraction, whilst i amass grand armies and position myself adequately.

Is FOC the same?

Forces of Corruption adds a new faction: The Consortium. And that allows for three-way battles between Rebels, Empire, and Consortium. Very unpredictable.

I actually have the modded AI from the Republic at War mod, which is very hard. So I haven't been able to win at hard difficulty (not really trying either, medium is tough enough), but medium becomes a battle of attrition. Which normally results in me just Death Star-ring or Executor-ing them with Thrawn.

I can't speak for vanilla AI, but I do recall most of my GC's being fought against AI that spams low-level frigates and artillery.

But aside from the negatives, it is most definitely worth the buy. Adds so much to the game.

Edited by Aurbere

From Star Wars RTS I found the best one is an old title:

Star Wars: Battlegrounds

Its basically Age of Empires with a Star Wars theme, you can play as wookies! I love their architecture, also gungans.

I tried Empire at War, but didn't like Ground combat in skirmishes, basically was always Empire vs Rebels, Aurbere point on consortium faction is cool, but definetly not star wars if you don't have wookies, gungans, etc.

Just my opinion

I hated the consortium...

Their ships weren't epic enough :p

And I was always a space gal, would just send hordes in ground style and auto it ^.^

Auto! Never! I wasn't a massive fan of ground battles but I would never entrust the outcome of a battle to a... computer.

Except of course, when Ackbar spammed out of hyperspace with a maooosive fleet against my lvl 1 space station. :o

Auto! Never! I wasn't a massive fan of ground battles but I would never entrust the outcome of a battle to a... computer.

Except of course, when Ackbar spammed out of hyperspace with a maooosive fleet against my lvl 1 space station. :o

I don't really auto resolve either. If the defenses are weak, then I will auto resolve, but I try to keep all of the battles under my control.

Also, if you have a level two space station and one or two light frigates, you can beat a massive fleet. My best battle to date has been:

Me: Level 2 space station + 1 Acclamator and 1 Tartan Patrol Cruiser

Rebels: Admiral Ackbar + Sundered Heart + 10 Nebulon Frigates + 23 Y-Wings + 22 X-Wings + 13 Correlian Gunships + 10 Corvettes.

Thankfully the AI sucks or I would have been toasted.

I don't really auto resolve either. If the defenses are weak, then I will auto resolve, but I try to keep all of the battles under my control.

Also, if you have a level two space station and one or two light frigates, you can beat a massive fleet. My best battle to date has been:

Me: Level 2 space station + 1 Acclamator and 1 Tartan Patrol Cruiser

Rebels: Admiral Ackbar + Sundered Heart + 10 Nebulon Frigates + 23 Y-Wings + 22 X-Wings + 13 Correlian Gunships + 10 Corvettes.

Thankfully the AI sucks or I would have been toasted.

I too have applied that tactic. Against lowish level AI's its so much fun and so fulfilling.

All you need is bombers right? :D

Ackbar always dies first. :jawa_evil: