The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

EA obtains exclusive rights to Star Wars.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This will either be very good for Star Wars games, or very bad. Given the recent EA games, I'm going with the latter.

Perhaps with DICE in there we will see Battlefront 3. I think EA will want to take advantage of the Battlefront series' fame as best selling games. We all know how EA is.

This will either be very good for Star Wars games, or very bad. Given the recent EA games, I'm going with the latter.

Perhaps with DICE in there we will see Battlefront 3. I think EA will want to take advantage of the Battlefront series' fame as best selling games. We all know how EA is.

I'm calling it right now. We're gonna see a completely alienated Star Wars Battle(field)front 3. It's gonna have the exaggeratedly overrated fancy Frostbite engine and it's most likely gonna feel like a Battlefield game, too.

The last thing i wanted for SWBF3 was for it to become like the rest of the shooters out there right now. When i saw the final footage of the Alpha just a few weeks ago, i was relieved to see that it actually looked and felt a lot like the previous SWBF games.

Now, i just fear that they'll remove half of what made the game so... different and special. The third-person toggle, the specific feel and design of some of the mechanics and gameplay.

Hopefully, i'm wrong and hopefully i'm just a nostalgia-struck fanboy who doesn't embrace change. At least, not every kind of change.

Then again, i'm probably getting ahead of myself. They haven't even mentioned anything yet and i'm acting like EA officially announced that DICE is working on SWBF3. It is the likely assumption to make, though. Given what the article says.

Edited by GhostDrone

I guess the Bioware name and his KOTOR Legacy had a big influence to it.

Kinda a win/win if you ask me, EA gets a big franchise so they'll stay afloat & Disney let us get more Old Republic games, yes I know other devs like Obsidian would produce jewels set in the SW universe but think of this: Frostbite 3 engine / Bioware = rpg (sort of...) / EA manpower, the only thing it needs is a GOOD SENSE of direction.

Edited by yoomazir

I guess the Bioware name had a big influence to it.

Kinda a win/win if you ask me, yes I know other devs like Obsidian would produce jewels set in the SW universe but think of this: Frostbite 3 engine / Bioware = rpg (sort of...) / EA manpower, the only thing it needs is a GOOD SENSE of direction.

I would love to live in your world, sounds so much better.

There is no way BiOWare is going to do another Star Wars RPG, SWTOR is here and it's not going anywhere, Battlefield 5: the Star Wars is not my idea of Battlefront 3.

There is no way BiOWare is going to do another Star Wars RPG, SWTOR is here and it's not going anywhere, Battlefield 5: the Star Wars is not my idea of Battlefront 3.

Mass Effect/Dragon Age kind of game maybe? LET ME DREAM!!!

Edited by yoomazir

No Obsidian game set in the Jedi Purge then, Star Wars is starting to die for me at ever increasing rates.

It is highly unlikely we will ever see another Star Wars RPG again with SWTOR around, very disappointing.

depends on the lisence, which may well allow for EA to enter partnerships with independant publishers. also it's quite possiable Bioware might wish to make another RPG, remember TOR is made by a seperate bioware studio.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. I would very much prefer a new Star Wars RPG, but that isn't likely to happen. Sadly.

Console market don't have SWTOR, so there's plenty of opportunities there.

You are BiOWare with a struggling MMO, an MMO which be definition means it needs constant interest from the gaming population, by making another BiOWare Star Wars RPG the interests of one of their main core fanbases the KotOR fanbase would be drawn to the new title, it just doesn't make business sense.

You are BiOWare with a struggling MMO, an MMO which be definition means it needs constant interest from the gaming population, by making another BiOWare Star Wars RPG the interests of one of their main core fanbases the KotOR fanbase would be drawn to the new title, it just doesn't make business sense.

Errrr not really, it's not because I play other videogames that suddenly I would lose my interest for SWTOR...

And btw, Bioware ain't struggling with this mmo anymore.

Edited by yoomazir

Or a good Star Wars rpg could get people to long for more Star Wars rpg after they beat the game at which point they turn to SWTOR. It's possible. Also, I'm not trying to argue about this but I don't think SWTOR is still struggling. Not as much as it used to, that's for sure.

As far as the news goes, I think it could be good. DICE, Visceral, and possibly Bioware should do a good job making new Star Wars games.

Can we keep the post OT? I.E. Satan just got an exclusive star wars liscense. How does this happen in the real world? Has Disney not seen what people think of EA and their practices?

Disney understands that you have to be a complete shut-in and social reject to look at all the bad that is happening in this country (USA) by various corporations and then vote for EA as the worst company in America.

Edited by TheBBP

I do not understand the hate for EA, sure they aren't the best company, but they let their developers do what they want.

Bioware is one of my favorite companies and I don't feel they changed much since being bought by EA. They have micro transactions, but those are entirely optional and they do not bother me any.

As for games, I don't see Bioware doing something that isn't an RPG every game they make is heavy on story and options, they wouldn't suddenly change.

As for DICE, Battlefront 3 is the obvious choice, assuming they get the feel right and keep the 3rd person, I think they would do a great job.

I am not sure about Visceral Games but it would be nice if we got to see 1313 come out, or at least something similar.

As of now I am still hopeful, there are definitely worse companies that this could have gone to.

Another thread in General Discussion is already at 15 pages in 5 hours. I can not and will not read every post.

Some players worry/did worry about SWTOR ending or being in trouble. In the business world, a publicly owned

company does not spend big money on a known looser (unless they plan to flip it.) If EA spent the money for exclusive rights to ANYTHING, they must believe they will recoup their licence fee plus make a profit. I like SWTOR

so this is a good sign. EA is weathering bad PR right now. They are not going to take unreasonable risks.

My take on all of this : Disney will be releasing SW movies and other SW products to recoup their purchase of

LucasArts. They may be counting on pulling in "non-gamers" to SWTOR and any SW game in the future. Disney

would not have to spend anything on development of the games or even bother with distribution. Win/Win.

Unless it was another MMO its not really competing with itself. In fact, they could make a single player game that ties directly to SWTOR and maybe gives people benefits for playing both. That would basically be an advertisement for swtor that pays for itself.

I do not understand the hate for EA, sure they aren't the best company, but they let their developers do what they want.

Bioware is one of my favorite companies and I don't feel they changed much since being bought by EA. They have micro transactions, but those are entirely optional and they do not bother me any.

You wear a blindfold or something?

If by "let them do what they want" you mean micromanage them and force them to add unnessisary **** to games and bleed resources from more critical areas of the game to make it the executives good idea of a game (see hollywood influence) rather then the actual developers idea of a good game, then yeah.

If you don't think Bioware have changed since EA took over then your living in a cloud. Just compare ME1 to ME3 and DA to DA2. Difference is obvious. Less rpg, more action. Ruinous budgeting. (da2) Unnecessary multiplayer and Microtransactions. (me3) Etc.

Edited by Doctoglethorpe

You wear a blindfold or something?

If by "let them do what they want" you mean micromanage them and force them to add unnessisary **** to games and bleed resources from more critical areas of the game to make it the executives good idea of a game (see hollywood influence) rather then the actual developers idea of a good game, then yeah.

If you don't think Bioware have changed since EA took over then your living in a cloud. Just compare ME1 to ME3 and DA to DA2. Difference is obvious. Less rpg, more action. Ruinous budgeting. (da2) Unnecessary multiplayer and Microtransactions. (me3) Etc.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/10/bioware-founder-disputes-public-perception-of-ea

Greg Zeschuk says otherwise, there is no reason for him to lie about EA since he had retired before saying all of that.

Mass Effect is one of my favorite game series of this gen, and sure it switch gears a bit but it was still heavy on story which is why I loved it so much. The multiplayer in ME3 was a lot of fun and I spent quite a bit of time on there as well. The microtransactions in ME3 were good to, there were in no way needed to play or enjoy the game more but if you had the money to spend then they helped, I see nothing wrong with giving players this option.

The only thing about Mass Effect that was disappointing was the ending and I highly doubt EA had anything to do with that.

I have not played DA so I can't comment on that game.

Either way this is much better then a company like Activision getting it, they just get a good series make a few improvements each year for 2 or 3 games and then make 9 more that are worse and worse each time.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/10/bioware-founder-disputes-public-perception-of-ea

Greg Zeschuk says otherwise, there is no reason for him to lie about EA since he had retired before saying all of that.

Mass Effect is one of my favorite game series of this gen, and sure it switch gears a bit but it was still heavy on story which is why I loved it so much. The multiplayer in ME3 was a lot of fun and I spent quite a bit of time on there as well. The microtransactions in ME3 were good to, there were in no way needed to play or enjoy the game more but if you had the money to spend then they helped, I see nothing wrong with giving players this option.

The only thing about Mass Effect that was disappointing was the ending and I highly doubt EA had anything to do with that.

I have not played DA so I can't comment on that game.

Either way this is much better then a company like Activision getting it, they just get a good series make a few improvements each year for 2 or 3 games and then make 9 more that are worse and worse each time.

http://wordsbynowak.com/2013/03/20/electronic-arts/

EA is definetly known for ruining online games, they often buy what they can't copy, thats their motto

http://wordsbynowak.com/2013/03/20/electronic-arts/

EA is definetly known for ruining online games, they often buy what they can't copy, thats their motto

Those points aren't very good...

1: Both Medal of Honor and Battlefield have been around longer then Call of Duty and Battlefield was the first of the 3 to do a game set in the 21st century. Sure Call of Duty might be more popular and sell better but I don't see how that makes EA copy them.

2:World of Warcraft was made by Blizzard released in 2004, 4 years before Activision was bought by Vivendi and became Activision Blizzard, so really it wasn't Activision's big hit. Besides that they aren't the only 2 MMOs neither was the first neither was the last, just because they are probably the most known doesn't mean EA copied Blizzard.

3:SimCity did have a bad launch, and still has some issues but I play and enjoy the game. I have had very little issues with ToR and have been playing it since launch. And personally I don't unplug my computer from the internet ever, and in the rare hour or so it drops if it does I have plenty of other games to play or things I can do.

4:EA has released some games on the Wii U, not sure how much they use the features because I don't have one or plan on buying one, but still they are there. They also have announced Battlefield 4 for the PS4 just because it wasn't shown at the reveal doesn't mean anything so I don't see how this one has much credit either. Let's wait until after E3 before we really judge what they are doing for Next Gen.

5:This one is purely opinion, as I have said I will definitely be excited when they announce the next Mass Effect game, and while I don't play Dead Space I know plenty of people that like that game a lot as well. He then mentions FPS are getting tired and dated then says Destiny, an FPS, looks promising. I wasn't very impressed with what I saw on that game so far and I have never been a fan of Bungie. As for Skylanders it never impressed me either, it is a game being released every year that will never live up to the orginial Spyro series.

I am not at all saying that EA is a great company, they have plenty of issues, but they are in no way as bad as the internet makes them out to be. Worse company for 2 years in a row is absurd there are planty of other companies deserving, none of which are video game companies.

I am also not replying to this thread anymore since there is no point in arguing over this stuff, neither of us will change our opinions anyway.

i can't wait to start getting more Star Wars games.

I am also not replying to this thread anymore since there is no point in arguing over this stuff, neither of us will change our opinions anyway.

I love when people finish a long opinion post with something like that. Basically "Ive got the last word now, /discussion."

If you really believed it was pointless to argue then why post to begin with eyyyyyyy?