Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

EA signs exclusive SW rights with Disney

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the day EA bought out bioware was the end of quality KOTOR gaming . disney being the issuers of star wars licenses wont make any differance to the quality of allready poor product .

its kinda sad with this games failure that those that are left and stayed loyal ,are the ones having to pay the price of having a greed shop being thrust on them as EA try to cut there loses.. whats even more sad is that many people are blind to it and will likely comment on what i said in a defensive manner . your not protecting the game accepting the way things are . your love of star wars is getting exploited to the hilt as EA appease grey men in buisness suites .

when will developers learn you cant make a more succesfull product that is world of warcraft by emulating it .

the day EA bought out bioware was the end of quality KOTOR gaming . disney being the issuers of star wars licenses wont make any differance to the quality of allready poor product .

its kinda sad with this games failure that those that are left and stayed loyal ,are the ones having to pay the price of having a greed shop being thrust on them as EA try to cut there loses.. whats even more sad is that many people are blind to it and will likely comment on what i said in a defensive manner . your not protecting the game accepting the way things are . your love of star wars is getting exploited to the hilt as EA appease grey men in buisness suites .

when will developers learn you cant make a more succesfull product that is world of warcraft by emulating it .

No one is telling anyone to spend any money in the Cartel Market and no one is telling you to play the game. I really don't understand why people still play this "poor excuse of a game" if they don't love playing it. Not to mention that this game is being turned from a failure into a success because, and I'm not the first to say this, this game never should have been sub based in the first place. If they had been F2P from the very beginning, no one would complain about the Cartel Market, no one would complain about it going F2P. MMOs are now coming out in droves as Buy To Play models with in game stores to maintain the servers and content, etc. That is the current model and I don't blame Ea/BW for going there.

Edited by AlaricSevGirl

On top of the great post by AlaricSevGirl -- Do you realize the entire ME series came out under EA? Most of Dragon Age? I would hardly consider those poorly made games.

And I don't see anyone "blind" to the fact that businesses make money. I just see the people who whine about spending $15. I've logged 200+ hours in the last 2-3 months. For $45 -- I couldn't get that amount of entertainment ANYWHERE. Plenty of us are criticising in an adult manner, and pointing out places for improvement. We've even SEEN them add things into the game after hearing massive community uproar on the topic.

If you feel every other game that runs on a non-sub-only business model is greedy -- ok, clearly you don't value any of these games enough. If you are singling out Swtor? You're ridiculous and you've just failed at trolling.

Game isn't failing, BTW. Many old subs are returning and are quite happy with what has happened. Servers are stable, EA is making a good profit off of the game, and we're now going to have gotten 3 large patches within ONE 8-week content cycle.

Doesn't seem so fail to me. Maybe you should go try playing Scarlet Blade.

On top of the great post by AlaricSevGirl -- Do you realize the entire ME series came out under EA? Most of Dragon Age? I would hardly consider those poorly made games.

Dragon Age 2 is frequently quoted as one of the bad examples by most fans, mostly for its constantly recycled environments - and personally I found the story incredibly boring to be honest.

I've enjoyed all the ME games though, and I was greatly enjoying ME3 until I got discouraged by hearing how terrible the game's ending was... I should pick that up again at some point and actually finish the game (with the new DLC ending).

I also agree with AlaricSevGirl, and I'm very happy the game is doing so well!

As for why the complainers stick around...? Some people just love to complain! :p

After months of feeling this game was going down this news is actually a spark of hope to me. With minimal advertising of future content (makab having been advertised since release and nothing but 2.1 on the horizon) I got the feeling EA were putting everything not already well under way on hold till they got some clue on where Disney were going to go with the IP.

Big profits from SWTOR and exclusivity on future products, they have a real position of strength on expanding the games here. A good healthy bank on this quarter could even give them the breathing room to innovate more going in.

This expansion may not do much to diversify TOR itself, for instance I would seriously expect any Super Secret space project now to be rolled out as a general starwars flight sim, but overall I feel far more positive about this news for future Starwars games and TOR's continued growth.

As a point of order, EA bought BW towards the end of ME2's development. It was good, but then ME3 got rushed out the door in typical EA style with an awful multiplayer attached to it - along with a cash shop. DA2 was a travesty all around.

As a point of order, EA bought BW towards the end of ME2's development. It was good, but then ME3 got rushed out the door in typical EA style with an awful multiplayer attached to it - along with a cash shop. DA2 was a travesty all around.

Again, you're opinion. There are those of us who like DA2.

OMG,, why??????

Just give to Blizzard....

Why on Earth would the rights be given to EA??? CUZ THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please tell me you didn't just ask for the Star Wars license to be given to Activision Blizzard and then state that EA sucks.......

Again, you're opinion. There are those of us who like DA2.

Yes, I have been on the fence about DA2. I really really hate the reused areas. I really really don't think the companions were written as well and thoroughly. This means EA rushed it.

But then I really really like the dungeons/buildings/areas take only say a few minutes instead of several hours. (i.e. remember the Mage Tower or heaven forbid the Deep Roads in DAO). I also like the dialogue wheel.

But if DA2 sold far less than DAO, it would not surprise me. It was a rushed Bioware game that actually could have been better.

Oh for the days of DAO and Kotor!

Uh, ME2 was announced in early 2009 and released in early 2010.

EA purchased BW in 2007. That is close to 3 years of development time while under EA. . . HARDLY "near the end" of its development. Probably less than 1/2 way into it.

DA:O is roughly the same. Closer to 2-2.5 years of development while under EA. . . but I highly doubt they're spending 6+ years on installments to a universe that already exists.

Yes, I have been on the fence about DA2. I really really hate the reused areas. I really really don't think the companions were written as well and thoroughly. This means EA rushed it.

But then I really really like the dungeons/buildings/areas take only say a few minutes instead of several hours. (i.e. remember the Mage Tower or heaven forbid the Deep Roads in DAO). I also like the dialogue wheel.

But if DA2 sold far less than DAO, it would not surprise me. It was a rushed Bioware game that actually could have been better.

Oh for the days of DAO and Kotor!

Yeah, despite how many times I've played through DA:O, the Mage Tower was a nightmare after the first time through it... here's to hoping they strike a nice balance between the two approaches for DA3.

I felt no real connection to any of the companions myself, when it came to romancing one it pretty much came down to "Meh, I'll just pick one for the heck of it" - unlike Origins' Leliana and Morrigan.

Oh, and I also despised the new Elf look in DA2, guess the art team got inspired by the house elves in Harry Potter. :D

OMG,, why??????

Just give to Blizzard, Rockstar, Ubisoft.

Why on Earth would the rights be given to EA??? CUZ THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

because wow,gta, and ghost recon reads star wars....ok maybe ghost recon :confused:

Well, this is horrible news and I am not usually a Debbie downer

I enjoy swtor for what it is but I have seen the open landscapes of vanguard and I often envision a starwars MMO done right

I will be honest the combat is fun here and the graphics are decent but I hate feeling trapt by loading sceens

I have no open space game, no chat bubbles and fleet feels like just a lobby to interact while queuing.

This game is just a game to me, it never held that "other world" feel.

While its been fun to play it's always felt like it was missing that rpg element

I guess the hope is gone and I will keep playing here for now

I suppose more EA games means more micro transactions and rushed games with no real niche games

The corporate hammer has swung o the starwars franchise pretty hard and I am most disappointed

Edited by kirorx

Well, this is horrible news and I am not usually a Debbie downer

I enjoy swtor for what it is but I have seen the open landscapes of vanguard and I often envision a starwars MMO done right

I will be honest the combat is fun here and the graphics are decent but I hate feeling trapt by loading sceens

I have no open space game, no chat bubbles and fleet feels like just a lobby to interact while queuing.

This game is just a game to me, it never held that "other world" feel.

While its been fun to play it's always felt like it was missing that rpg element

I guess the hope is gone and I will keep playing here for now

I suppose more EA games means more micro transactions and rushed games with no real niche games

The corporate hammer has swung o the starwars franchise pretty hard and I am most disappointed

What the heck are you talking about? How does Disney buying the rights to Star Wars spell bad news? If anything GL and Lucas Arts were slowly killing Star Wars with horrible movies and bad game decisions.

Wait until the proof before you baselessly complain about nothing.

What the heck are you talking about? How does Disney buying the rights to Star Wars spell bad news? If anything GL and Lucas Arts were slowly killing Star Wars with horrible movies and bad game decisions.

indeed.

george lucas , sadly i may add, did waaaaaay more damage to SW than anyone else.

the prequel was would have been better if he wasnt so stubborn to keep his "ideal" beginning for the SW movies and someone challenge his vision.

hell, tbh the original trilogy, that we all love? yeah, that was radically alter from GL original vision, the movie trilogy is a prime example that other ppl were needed to make it better.

seriously, go look at the making of the phantom menace on the dvd and watch the prescreening and obverse everyone face as they knew the phantom menace was crap. i think even GL, admit that they needed to change stuff before hand.

Edited by astrobearx

I think you misread

I did not say Disney was bad news for starwars

The article is about EA now being the only people being able to now produce Starwars games

That is the bad news, all Starwars games will be EA games

I think you misread

The article is about EA now being the only people being able to now produce Starwars games

Think about it a dif way, all sw games will be on frostbite engine, one of the games could be battlefront another could be a reserection of 1313.

I think you misread

I still don't see that is terrible news. While EA has butchered some companies they still have the monetary power to back some big, awesome games. I don't think you understand how the industry works. Games are extremely expensive now and while I love small independent developers as much as the next guy, they don't have the financial backing for the big projects.

Think about it a dif way, all sw games will be on frostbite engine, one of the games could be battlefront another could be a reserection of 1313.

It doesn't seem to be the case for 1313 sadly :

So Disney decided to shut down LucasArts and then license the rights for Star Wars games to EA. However, EA chose not to pick up LucasArts’ major work in progress, Star Wars 1313, which has been canceled.

Link.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.