focal lightening

dufox

for the life of me i cant figure out why focal lightening is in the madness tree's 2nd highest skill tier.

in a build that is all about spamming lightening until wrath procs (which makes almost everything i ever want to use instant) why would i use 2 skill points on getting alacrity when i attack with a skill thats only used if everything else is on cd. (most people dont make it past the crushing darkness + dots rotation and then all the way back around to lightening strike)

for the occasional o **** heal button or for force lightening to be channeled like .04 seconds faster. or something im just not seeing?

anyone care to explain how it could actually be used in the madness tree that could make it worth 2 skill points?

Edited by dufox

If you put 2 points in it, it gives your force lightning ticks a 20% chance and lightning strike 100% chance to give you a stack and it stacks up to 4 times. With how much you are normally spamming FL and using LS as a filler for wrath procs when crushing darkness is on cool down, it gives you an additional 4% alacrity buff most of the time which helps reduce channel time on FL (more DPS) as well as increasing your force regen rate a bit.

If you're going full madness it's worth putting the points into it.

hmm ok my bad every time i deal with alacrity it decreases the time by so little i thought 4% of a madness sorcs alacrity would be next to nothing.

turns out 4% from that skill is pretty big difference.

my bad, this is why u dont assume :D

hmm ok my bad every time i deal with alacrity it decreases the time by so little i thought 4% of a madness sorcs alacrity would be next to nothing.

turns out 4% from that skill is pretty big difference.

my bad, this is why u dont assume :D

It's even worse: you have to pay 2 skill points to get only 2% of alacrity from the Corruption tree. And it's still considered BiS for a full Madness build.

To be fair, 4% alacrity really is next to nothing. However, every little bit counts. Once you stack that 4% with 20% from Polarity Shift, 5% from Force Master, 2% from Corruption, and ~3% from gear it becomes about 35%, which makes your FL channel in 2 seconds and GCD only 1 second. That is a really noticeable difference in time to kill, and to get that, one has to stack all the little alacrity bonuses from various sources, including Focal Lightning.

Edited by Undead_Prince