Stealth capping impossible if..

Nothematic

Am I right in saying that it is now impossible to stealth cap against a good Vanguard/Powertech? Three times (in different games) I went to cap a node by stunning the vanguard defender (I play as an Agent) with sleep dart then beginning the cap. I then waited for them to use their stun breaker and use flashbang to continue to cap.

However, every single time I stunned them I was hit by their shoulder rocket launcher thingy and it interrupted the cap, therefore making it impossible. Is it intended that this shoulder canon should fire while the player is stunned?

Am I right in saying that it is now impossible to stealth cap against a good Vanguard/Powertech? Three times (in different games) I went to cap a node by stunning the vanguard defender (I play as an Agent) with sleep dart then beginning the cap. I then waited for them to use their stun breaker and use flashbang to continue to cap.

However, every single time I stunned them I was hit by their shoulder rocket launcher thingy and it interrupted the cap, therefore making it impossible. Is it intended that this shoulder canon should fire while the player is stunned?

Working as intended.

:rak_03:

I played a bunch as my vanguard tank yesterday and there was an ADCW match in particular where I was able to solo defend grass against two operatives using this. It was pretty sweet. Basically, I couldn't kill them very fast, they couldn't kill me very fast, and they couldn't cap. I had time to say "2 grass" in ops chat and the three of us did battle until my help arrived. We won that match, and I'd like to think that it was partially due to the fact that I was able to solo guard the node, thereby giving us a +1 advantage at mid.

However, contrast this with the way things were before the rocket launcher ability. One vanguard vs. one operative = vanguard stunned, break stun, vanguard stunned again, operative quietly caps node. Every time. And don't get me started on how ridiculous stuns are, in general. Still, in a 1v1 scenario of operative vs vanguard, I could never kill you. As soon as things start going south, you just stun me and/or cloak and run away. Regardless of what class I am playing, I spend soooo much time being stunned in pvp. It is dumb beyond words.

I played a bunch as my vanguard tank yesterday and there was an ADCW match in particular where I was able to solo defend grass against two operatives using this. It was pretty sweet. Basically, I couldn't kill them very fast, they couldn't kill me very fast, and they couldn't cap. I had time to say "2 grass" in ops chat and the three of us did battle until my help arrived. We won that match, and I'd like to think that it was partially due to the fact that I was able to solo guard the node, thereby giving us a +1 advantage at mid.

However, contrast this with the way things were before the rocket launcher ability. One vanguard vs. one operative = vanguard stunned, break stun, vanguard stunned again, operative quietly caps node. Every time. And don't get me started on how ridiculous stuns are, in general. Still, in a 1v1 scenario of operative vs vanguard, I could never kill you. As soon as things start going south, you just stun me and/or cloak and run away. Regardless of what class I am playing, I spend soooo much time being stunned in pvp. It is dumb beyond words.

I agree that stuns, and in particular resolve are completely and utterly broken in this game - however I think taking away our ability to stealth cap kinda takes away a lot of our team utility. We're not exactly brilliant at running in and gunning everything down, so we kinda relied upon these one on one situations to help our team out and ultimately win. Now we can't do this at all against any player worth his salt, and so I'm wondering where exactly we can help the team out now (besides healing).

I agree that stuns, and in particular resolve are completely and utterly broken in this game - however I think taking away our ability to stealth cap kinda takes away a lot of our team utility. We're not exactly brilliant at running in and gunning everything down, so we kinda relied upon these one on one situations to help our team out and ultimately win. Now we can't do this at all against any player worth his salt, and so I'm wondering where exactly we can help the team out now (besides healing).

I'm a scroundrel so I can see where you're coming from, but while stealth capping is one of our utilities, guarding a node is now one of Vanguard/PT's utilities. I've not started levelling my PT yet, so I'm not exactly sure how the rockets work. I know they load over time and you can fire them off GCD and while stunned...I'm curious does the rocket 'buff' have a timer? Ie, can the stealther simply check the Vanguard/PT buff and wait for the rockets to fall off? Or once loaded are they permanent?

Shoulder cannon works while controlled. I don't think it works while stunned, but sleep dart isn't a stun anyway.

Sap cap doesn't work against anyone who's good anyway. I really don't think it's even worth trying because if you think the defender is bad enough to get capped you might as well kill him to be 100% sure.

Yeah, I can understand that. I play a little bit as a shadow, but it's probably one of my least favorite because I don't know how to use it to help the team very well (other than stealth cap). If I'm not cloaked, I'm pretty much gonna die quickly. You have a point: stealth cap is what really makes the covert classes.

I'm a scroundrel so I can see where you're coming from, but while stealth capping is one of our utilities, guarding a node is now one of Vanguard/PT's utilities. I've not started levelling my PT yet, so I'm not exactly sure how the rockets work. I know they load over time and you can fire them off GCD and while stunned...I'm curious does the rocket 'buff' have a timer? Ie, can the stealther simply check the Vanguard/PT buff and wait for the rockets to fall off? Or once loaded are they permanent?

They have 3 charges I believe, and they fire periodically while the target is there. They fire when stunned, which is what I'm getting at.

Shoulder cannon works while controlled. I don't think it works while stunned, but sleep dart isn't a stun anyway.

Sap cap doesn't work against anyone who's good anyway. I really don't think it's even worth trying because if you think the defender is bad enough to get capped you might as well kill him to be 100% sure.

In AH with my scoundrel, if the defender is stupid enough to stand next to the pylon, it's definitely worth it to try to ninja the pylon... >8)

This is how it works. (Off of the top of my head, not ingame right now so may be wrong on some points.)

Shoulder canon is used, you then load 4 rockets over a period of time. (7 if specced into tactics)

They are on a 5min timer (I think)

You can use the rockets at any given time even when cc'ed.

They do not respect the gcd. So they can be weaved between attacks.

They don't do much damage initially but can be unloaded over a rotation to add some small bursts of dps.

In all honesty, dont try stealth capping a VG/PT. They dont hit as hard as they used to nor do they hit like most other classes. Coupled with their relatively low survivability? Just kill them lol.

Edited by LanceCorporalDan

They have 3 charges I believe, and they fire periodically while the target is there. They fire when stunned, which is what I'm getting at.

From a vanguard perspective, here's how it works: activate the ability and it will begin to load up to 4 charges over time. I can't recall exactly how long it takes to load a charge, but I think it is around 5 seconds per. This ability remains for 5 minutes or until all of the charges have been fired. You can control when a single charge is fired and who it is fired at by clicking the button (hotkey).

So, when a covert class stuns me, I can activate the ability and wait about 5 seconds for the first charge to be ready. This is usually not long enough for them to cap the node before I can hit them (again, my 5 second time might be wrong - I can't remember exactly). But anyway, I can just wait for them to get almost capped and then hit them to interrupt and just keep doing that until the stun breaks. And yes, I think it can be used while stunned (I don't really know the difference between stuns and controls very well, so I could be wrong...but in my experience, I've never noticed a time when I could not use it unless it was on cooldown.

From a vanguard perspective, here's how it works: activate the ability and it will begin to load up to 4 charges over time. I can't recall exactly how long it takes to load a charge, but I think it is around 5 seconds per. This ability remains for 5 minutes or until all of the charges have been fired. You can control when a single charge is fired and who it is fired at by clicking the button (hotkey).

So, when a covert class stuns me, I can activate the ability and wait about 5 seconds for the first charge to be ready. This is usually not long enough for them to cap the node before I can hit them (again, my 5 second time might be wrong - I can't remember exactly). But anyway, I can just wait for them to get almost capped and then hit them to interrupt and just keep doing that until the stun breaks. And yes, I think it can be used while stunned (I don't really know the difference between stuns and controls very well, so I could be wrong...but in my experience, I've never noticed a time when I could not use it unless it was on cooldown.

Thanks to you (and the guy above) for clearing that up. That sheds some light on things, but I'd be interested to know if they intended for it to be usable while controlled.

In AH with my scoundrel, if the defender is stupid enough to stand next to the pylon, it's definitely worth it to try to ninja the pylon... >8)

Sure, but if he's stupid enough to stay that close to a pylon, he's probably going to die horribly without calling for help if you tried to attack him. I mean I know people do get sap capped, but usually these guys are so bad they're the type of 'can't call for help because I was stunned', so you might as well kill them to be 100% sure and there's usually very little risk.

Thanks to you (and the guy above) for clearing that up. That sheds some light on things, but I'd be interested to know if they intended for it to be usable while controlled.

Yes it is intended and states as such in the tooltip. They can be loaded at any time as long as its not on CD (90s). You'll see an orangish icon with numbers in it. Not in game and forgot how long you have until the buff disappears. Advanced Prototype PT and Tactics VG can spec into this for a total of 7 rockets (4 initially, 3 more over time but can have 7 preloaded). Can't speak for anyone else but I've seen mine crit for as high as 2.5k per. Might be able to get this higher with relic procs.

Deploys a shoulder cannon that gradually loads 4 missiles over time. Once loaded, the shoulder cannon can be triggered again to fire against an enemy target within 10 meters, launching 1 missile that deals 563 - 649 kinetic damage. A missile can be launched up to once per second. Loading and launching the shoulder cannon does not respect the global cooldown and can be done while controlled. Once all missiles have been loaded, depleting all missiles puts the shoulder cannon on cooldown for 1.5 mi

Google... it is your friend.

Yes, if you encounter one of the seven ppl who still pvp as a powertech....they can do that while stunned.

AHAHAHAHAH lol nice.. Looks like those lame canons are awesome... if your 10m.... you are not LOS... and you did not re-roll to a decent dps class until they figure it out.

Edited by Kegparty