The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Synthetic hands

Been a subscriber off and on since launch and I haven't posted yet, so, hi everyone!

Can't believe this hasn't been addressed yet in-game, but given it's such a fundamental aspect of Star Wars, I figured I'd suggest it. You should add prosthetic limbs to the cartel market. Given the number of Star Wars characters to have their hand or other parts replaced, it'd be a cool, relatively easy to produce customization. Think Bao-Dur's force-field arm, or Anakin and Luke's (maybe with the sheath hanging open on a Luke-style arm so we can see the inner workings), or even something like a force-ghost style to represent those in the EU who refused to wear a prosthesis, electing to use the force in place of their missing limbs.

Yeah, I know. We already have cyborgs, but that's not exactly the same thing. Grievous, Lobot and Vader aren't exactly in the same category as Bao-Dur, Luke and Young Anakin.

So, BioWare, think about it?

Then we wouldn't be able to put them on aliens. Besides, like I already pointed out, having one or two prosthetics does not a cyborg make.

Actualy it does, thats the very meaning of the word. For aliens that is the restiction bioware themselves put on cyborgs by making them a race.

Edited by Shingara

This would be a nice middle ground. I still say there's a line between having cybernetics and being a cyborg, at least in the Star Wars universe. When has Luke Skywalker ever been called a cyborg? Yet, obviously, the word is used, as it's applied to Darth Vader, Lobot, Grievous, etc.

Aside from that, the whole missing hand element is essential to the Star Wars mythos. I'd like a couple glove or boot skins on the Market to represent that.

Actualy it does, thats the very meaning of the word. For aliens that is the restiction bioware themselves put on cyborgs by making them a race.

The meaning of the word "cyborg;"

Noun

A fictional or hypothetical person whose physical abilities become superhuman by mechanical elements built into the body.

Do you see the problem with using this definition to apply to the Star Wars universe? Because I do. In a universe with the force and stims and aliens and near-human races, what, precisely, is "superhuman?" If a race naturally stronger than a cybernetic implant would make him receives one, is he not a cyborg while a human who receives the very same implant is? No, clearly we need a different definition to fit Star Wars. I would argue Obi-Wan Kenobi gave the most fitting one: "He is more machine than man, now."

You can attempt to argue that inside this fictional framework, yes, the alien not enhanced but instead handicapped by an implant is still a cyborg, but not only is that a greater deviation from the original definition, it ignores the precedent already established in canon. Aside from that, if we were to apply the same specifications to the real world, anyone with any kind of mechanical limb would then qualify. Was my great-grandmother a cyborg because she had a hip replacement???

If you'd like to continue arguing semantics, believe me, I'd be more than happy to. If not, it'd be nice if you just said you'd prefer not to see some new, really cool skins.

Actually... yes, I'd say that technically anyone using a synthetic prosthetic part to enhance and/or replace lost functionality could be termed a cyborg. In the case of a hip replacement it's unusual, but entirely consistent- for false teeth it would be technically accurate but downright silly... but it's not *wrong*.

However, that's irrelevant. Cyborg body parts other than facial grafts should be available, yes. 'Cybernetics' should be a slider (unlockable by getting the cyborg racial unlock) on all characters, rather than a specific race, yes.

Only one problem ... I'm not sure the game-engine can do it. I have a nasty suspicion that the 'arms' skin texture is mirrored- i.e. the upper body texture file probably only has one 'arm' texture element, which is mirrored across both sides. So, if you mask part of that off as invisible and substitute a cybernetic claw/hand in its place, you might end up having to have *both* hands/arms rather than just one.

Actually... yes, I'd say that technically anyone using a synthetic prosthetic part to enhance and/or replace lost functionality could be termed a cyborg. In the case of a hip replacement it's unusual, but entirely consistent- for false teeth it would be technically accurate but downright silly... but it's not *wrong*.

However, that's irrelevant. Cyborg body parts other than facial grafts should be available, yes. 'Cybernetics' should be a slider (unlockable by getting the cyborg racial unlock) on all characters, rather than a specific race, yes.

Only one problem ... I'm not sure the game-engine can do it. I have a nasty suspicion that the 'arms' skin texture is mirrored- i.e. the upper body texture file probably only has one 'arm' texture element, which is mirrored across both sides. So, if you mask part of that off as invisible and substitute a cybernetic claw/hand in its place, you might end up having to have *both* hands/arms rather than just one.

The real world definition, as I posted above, is written specifically to exclude things like hip replacements, hence why "superhuman" is included.

As far as the engine is concerned: Ooh. Good point. I hadn't thought of that. I hope that's not the case, but I wouldn't put it past bioware to cut corners that way. Nor would I blame them. Let's hope that's not the case and they'd be able to implement something like this.

The meaning of the word "cyborg;"

Noun

A fictional or hypothetical person whose physical abilities become superhuman by mechanical elements built into the body.

Do you see the problem with using this definition to apply to the Star Wars universe? Because I do. In a universe with the force and stims and aliens and near-human races, what, precisely, is "superhuman?" If a race naturally stronger than a cybernetic implant would make him receives one, is he not a cyborg while a human who receives the very same implant is? No, clearly we need a different definition to fit Star Wars. I would argue Obi-Wan Kenobi gave the most fitting one: "He is more machine than man, now."

You can attempt to argue that inside this fictional framework, yes, the alien not enhanced but instead handicapped by an implant is still a cyborg, but not only is that a greater deviation from the original definition, it ignores the precedent already established in canon. Aside from that, if we were to apply the same specifications to the real world, anyone with any kind of mechanical limb would then qualify. Was my great-grandmother a cyborg because she had a hip replacement???

If you'd like to continue arguing semantics, believe me, I'd be more than happy to. If not, it'd be nice if you just said you'd prefer not to see some new, really cool skins.

You can have a rubber hand if you want, but if your wanting cybornetic hands that work like normal hands then that there is cyborgs. Dance around it all you like infact here have a rubber hand, paint it the same colour skin and your done, you notice the difference no me either, enjoy.

You can have a rubber hand if you want, but if your wanting cybornetic hands that work like normal hands then that there is cyborgs. Dance around it all you like infact here have a rubber hand, paint it the same colour skin and your done, you notice the difference no me either, enjoy.

Why are you even in this thread? If you don't like the idea, fine. You've stated as much. What difference does it make to you if they add something new to the game you won't use? It doesn't take away from what you have. It would add to my experience playing the game, and I'd like if they added it as a result. Go troll some other thread.

Note to BioWare: It's because of people like Shingara that people like me don't often bother posting ideas on your forums. I suspect the majority of the game's players would enjoy an update that included options like the ones I've suggested. Don't assume a vocal minority speaks for your entire player base.

Why are you even in this thread?

Cyborg are a race, they have to be human cyborgs, no option about it. They cannot be chiss, rattaki or pureblood cyborgs. The end.

Your wanting every race to be able to become cyborgs without having tobe cyborg so no, just no. This as an option for cyborgs yes otherwise no.

Note to bioware, its because of people like san why people like me get peeved off with some people when they want things that are limited to a race on there char that isnt that race cos they have money. Dont assume people with lots of money in real life are the majority of the playerbase.

Edited by Shingara

There are chest pieces in the game that doesn't have identical arms so it should be possible for the hands as well, but that's purely based on logic, maybe the engine can't do it.

Cyborg are a race, they have to be human cyborgs, no option about it. They cannot be chiss, rattaki or pureblood cyborgs. The end.

Your wanting every race to be able to become cyborgs without having tobe cyborg so no, just no. This as an option for cyborgs yes otherwise no.

Anyone who play a Sith Warrior, especially if speced as a Juggernaut can be a cyborg without picking that 'species'. Higher level Juggernaut armour is filled with cyborg looking armour pieces, kind of renders your whole argument moot since it is for some possible to be a cyborg without picking cyborg.

Edited by Leonick

Note to bioware, its because of people like san why people like me get peeved off with some people when they want things that are limited to a race on there char that isnt that race cos they have money. Dont assume people with lots of money in real life are the majority of the playerbase.

NEWSFLASH: BioWare wants people with lots of money to play their game so they can have some of those people's money!

Again I ask: What difference does it make to you? Why are you whining that I'm requesting something from the Cartel Market? How would it change the game for you? The truth is, you're just a spoiled brat who can't stand seeing someone have something they don't, even if you don't really want it yourself. You're not protesting my idea, you're protesting the concept of the Cartel Market. If you don't have money, and I do, why should they care for one second what you have to say?

Anyone who play a Sith Warrior, especially if speced as a Juggernaut can be a cyborg without picking that 'species'. Higher level Juggernaut armour is filled with cyborg looking armour pieces, kind of renders your whole argument moot since it is for some possible to be a cyborg without picking cyborg.

What armour looks like and cybornetics hands and limbs are different things.

NEWSFLASH: BioWare wants people with lots of money to play their game so they can have some of those people's money!

Again I ask: What difference does it make to you? Why are you whining that I'm requesting something from the Cartel Market? How would it change the game for you? The truth is, you're just a spoiled brat who can't stand seeing someone have something they don't, even if you don't really want it yourself. You're not protesting my idea, you're protesting the concept of the Cartel Market. If you don't have money, and I do, why should they care for one second what you have to say?

Whats the matter, am i denting your ideals, Im sorry to upset you but rich kids dont always get what they want no matter how big the bank of mummy and daddy are. I suspect your gonna make up some trash like your in charge of a bluechip company and bla bla bla bla.

Like i said you want ordinary hand replacements then go for it, you have lukes hand, you cannot tell the difference. It looks identical to what it did before. But thats not what your asking for is it, you asking for bare cybornetic limbs. And that there should be locked into the cyborg race only. So you keep waving that cash and throwing a tantrum like it will make a blind bit of difference.

Edited by Shingara

Exactly! Thank you! That's all I'm asking for, is cyborg-looking hands and maybe arms, legs and feet.

Whats the matter, am i denting your ideals, Im sorry to upset you but rich kids dont always get what they want no matter how big the bank of mummy and daddy are. I suspect your gonna make up some trash like your in charge of a bluechip company and bla bla bla bla.

Like i said you want ordinary hand replacements then go for it, you have lukes hand, you cannot tell the difference. It looks identical to what it did before. But thats not what your asking for is it, you asking for bare cybornetic limbs. And that there should be locked into the cyborg race only. So you keep waving that cash and throwing a tantrum like it will make a blind bit of difference.

Nope.

Shin, your logic is akin to saying you have to be dark side to use red crystals, or that jet packs should be restricted to bounty hunters. Sure, it all makes sense, but there is no reason for someone else to not have access to these things - it doesn't affect anyone else in the least and makes them happy. You want to play a game where only your opinion matters and other characters are only a reflection of your perceived ideals? Go play something single player.

My Darth Revan in KotOR wore Mandalorian Armor and used a blaster rifle instead of a lightsaber. "But that's not canon!" QQ more. I, just like most others, play to have fun and don't care what other do, so long as their actions don't impede on my enjoyment

Edit- spelling mistake

Edited by Kontraz

Shin, your logic is akin to saying you have to be dark side to use red crystals, or that jet packs should be restricted to bounty hunters. Sure, it all makes sense, but there is no reason for someone else to not have access to these things - it doesn't affect anyone else in the least and makes them happy. You want to play a game where only your opinion matters and other characters are only a reflection of your perceived ideals? Go play so,etching single player.

My Darth Revan in KotOR wire Mandalorian Armor and used a blaster rifle instead of a machine gun. "But that's not canon!" QQ more. I, just like most others, play to have fun and don't care what other do, so long as their actions don't impede on my enjoyment

Right let me point this out again, as a cyborg can i be sith pureblood, no so that restriction is set on me in the same example of red crystals, Can my cyborg be based on a chiss no so again that restriction applys. So it doesnt matter what armour looks like aslong as its just visual but not reducing the body type from the race specific, fill your boots. But actual body parts that are cybornetic should be for cyborgs only.

Just how full body tattoos should be an option for humans, rattaki etc, just like sith pureblood race visual effects are on the chest aswell as face. And as for putting these body alterations as part of a cartel pack item is just lol.

Edited by Shingara

Right let me point this out again, as a cyborg can i be sith pureblood, no so that restriction is set on me in the same example of red crystals, Can my cyborg be based on a chiss no so again that restriction applys. So it doesnt matter what armour looks like aslong as its just visual but not reducing the body type from the race specific, fill your boots. But actual body parts that are cybornetic should be for cyborgs only.

Just how full body tattoos should be an option for humans, rattaki etc, just like sith pureblood race visual effects are on the chest aswell as face. And as for putting these body alterations as part of a cartel pack item is just lol.

Right, let me point this out again, it doesn't affect you, so why care? You don't want em? Don't use em. Full body tattoos? I'd be fine seeing that as an item for all races. Again, your argument is akin to saying nobody should use jet packs because They were designed for BHs. "But that's just armor!" Well, armor is nothing more than aesthetics, as would be cybernetic hands. You can take that a step further and cry "but its just a game!" So really, anything flies

Right, let me point this out again, it doesn't affect you, so why care? You don't want em? Don't use em. Full body tattoos? I'd be fine seeing that as an item for all races. Again, your argument is akin to saying nobody should use jet packs because They were designed for BHs. "But that's just armor!" Well, armor is nothing more than aesthetics, as would be cybernetic hands. You can take that a step further and cry "but its just a game!" So really, anything flies

Why doesnt it effect me exactly, as a cyborg i have to be human, convice bioware to let me be a chiss cyborg and we will have this conv again. And this isnt my restriction. ITS BIOWARES. So keep saying its my fault all you wish but its bioware who locked cyborgs to human specific, its bioware who made it so only this race can have cybernetic parts.

So as i would have to purchase options for my race outside of race customization how would that not effect me. As for whos taking the steps its not me doing the waa its not fair stuff is it, its the people going but waa why cant i buy this with cartel coins.

Edited by Shingara

Why doesnt it effect me exactly, as a cyborg i have to be human, convice bioware to let me be a chiss cyborg and we will have this conv again. And this isnt my restriction. ITS BIOWARES. So keep saying its my fault all you wish but its bioware who locked cyborgs to human specific, its bioware who made it so only this race can have cybernetic parts.

So as i would have to purchase options for my race outside of race customization how would that not effect me. As for whos taking the steps its not me doing the waa its not fair stuff is it, its the people going but waa why cant i buy this with cartel coins.

Actually, nobody is crying about things being unfair BESIDES YOU. You are crying that the implementation of this would be unfair because of your race selection, so yes, you are doing the "waa its not fair stuff"

Races changes are coming next update. If they later add cybernetic hands, then you can theoretically play your cybernetic chiss. I'm sure you'll still manage to find something meaningless to QQ about.

Side note - all this is coming from someone who doesn't give a **** about cybernetic hands. I wouldn't want them if they were available. That doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to use them

Actually, nobody is crying about things being unfair BESIDES YOU. You are crying that the implementation of this would be unfair because of your race selection, so yes, you are doing the "waa its not fair stuff"

Races changes are coming next update. If they later add cybernetic hands, then you can theoretically play your cybernetic chiss. I'm sure you'll still manage to find something meaningless to QQ about.

Side note - all this is coming from someone who doesn't give a **** about cybernetic hands. I wouldn't want them if they were available. That doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to use them

No im pretty sure its your people who are going why cant i have this stuff, why are you against it. And your lack of reading is amazing, cos im all for cyborg body parts on cyborgs. And again its not me going waa, its you lot amusingly going waa why not when its biowares own restriction of which i am in full aggreement, so its either you going waa or me and bioware going waa so pick.

Is it me and bioware going waa or you lot.

As for race change, yes i can choose to not be a cyborg. /golfclap. if they choose to add cyborntic parts later you can change to cyborg cant you.

Edited by Shingara