When will we see new active sub numbers?

Toat

dont worry. the game will likely shut down in about 6 months to a year. everyone will go back to wow, which has over 9 million subscribers, because its better in every aspect.

Sorry at one time i would agree but the direction blizzard has taken and the alienation of players concerns and censorship in forums proves my point that game is self imploding and many of my long time wow friends have quit wow, ghostcrawler and the idiots at that company have did there best to dumbdown and you level so fast even at a regular pace the game gets stale.

I see a few things that will lower subs for many games including wow.

The revamped fail ffxiv which now looks and plays so much better and the complete turnaround in that companies way of game delivery to regions which they never did in ffxi and eso might be a sleeper hit, will any of these be a wow killer no, Boredom is what's killing wow and thats why titan is on the horizon in blizzards future that might just be the wow killer another blizzard product.

I see a massive overall improvement in the f2p sto since perfect world as taking over the game seems heading in a the right direction, this game swtor could be big if EA would just unleash BW and let them run rampant and get jiggy with it, but we know ea is a killer of mmo's look at their past mmo titles they managed i guess ea should be proud of pogo at least they got that somewhat right.

Edited by JediJonesJr

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm a very disapointed subber, who had dreamed for years of a SW MMO that could replace WOW, and who keep subbing in the hopes it will improve.

However, as I was saying in november 2011, to save TOR, we will have at one point to go beyond the ''ah ah ah, dumb pandas'' argument, because there is obviously something that Blizzard is doing better than Bioware.

Example : As I made a post on it this week, I have no issue with the probes droids in themselves, but it's frankly obvious that they are suspiciously alike archeology in WOW, while working worse.

No, I'm a very disapointed subber, who had dreamed for years of a SW MMO that could replace WOW, and who keep subbing in the hopes it will improve.

However, as I was saying in november 2011, to save TOR, we will have at one point to go beyond the ''ah ah ah, dumb pandas'' argument, because there is obviously something that Blizzard is doing better than Bioware.

Example : As I made a post on it this week, I have no issue with the probes droids in themselves, but it's frankly obvious that they are suspiciously alike archeology in WOW, while working worse.

Please stop suggesting that SWTOR copied WOW for their archeology. It has already been covered that archeology wasn't itself an original idea.

I thought the same thing as you but it's still cool something new.

when i left wow my arch was capped and had all the pandaren artifacts.

that shows your in ability to actually think.

This game went free to play not because of anything rhe devs did... it was the epic failure of EA opening too many servers at lunch. The bulk of players left because the servers died... much more so then their claim of "people did not want to pay"

They threw out the "people did not want to pay" line to cover their failure of the server deaths. If they had waited 3 months for the larger servers to go live and just told people to hold their nuts for 5 minutes for a queue to pass this game would of never needed to go F2P... It was EAs ignorance that caused them to go F2P

I have been playing WOW since 2006 : I picked a medium server where my faction is outnumbered, and I never had to transfer or reroll once. My server was never merged too. On TOR, I had to delete a Sith Warrior in january 2012 (peak hour Taris : 3 people), and my Jedi Consular server was merged several times. I would say that TOR have a deeper problem....

Please stop suggesting that SWTOR copied WOW for their archeology. It has already been covered that archeology wasn't itself an original idea.

No, I'm saying that the two elements plays out the same...with the only difference that the probes have less functionnality.

I have been playing WOW since 2006 : I picked a medium server where my faction is outnumbered, and I never had to transfer or reroll once. My server was never merged too. On TOR, I had to delete a Sith Warrior in january 2012 (peak hour Taris : 3 people), and my Jedi Consular server was merged several times. I would say that TOR have a deeper problem....

WoW has infact had alot of merges and xfers, wow also gets around alot of its problem by cross server battlegrounds and group finder. These are termed battlegroups on wow. The only difference with swtor is instead of creating battlegroups of cross server pops they litteraly just put up mega servers instead of linking servers together via strings.

WoW has infact had alot of merges and xfers, wow also gets around alot of its problem by cross server battlegrounds and group finder. These are termed battlegroups on wow. The only difference with swtor is instead of creating battlegroups of cross server pops they litteraly just put up mega servers instead of linking servers together via strings.

In the time I played WoW, the server I started on had at least 2 but possibly more transfers OFF to other servers, because it had become too populated. These would be other servers that were newly opened to deal with the growth in the number of players.

The only time SWTOR ever had to open more servers was within one week of launch. From there, close & consolidate.

in all fairness wow did take a move from the sith the death grip is straight out of this game and was added recently i laughed so hard i was almost about to rename my dk SithChoke but somebody beat me to it.

Let me just add there is nothing wrong if you like wow or another game to get butthurt over a general discussion about similarities in games is not supposed to be a combustible ion cylinder.

chillax enjoy you can like any game you wish hell you paid for it.:rak_01:

Edited by JediJonesJr

I said I never had to transfer, reroll or server merge in WOW. Just that.

In the time I played WoW, the server I started on had at least 2 but possibly more transfers OFF to other servers, because it had become too populated. These would be other servers that were newly opened to deal with the growth in the number of players.

The only time SWTOR ever had to open more servers was within one week of launch. From there, close & consolidate.

So wow launched without enough servers, swtor put up to many. influx and reduction are normal for mmos as things settle.

Also, as we all know, WoW was the first MMO ever developed.

Notice the clear resemblance to a single game. It's not a FEW things; it's a LOT of them. It's not spread among multiple games; it's one.

Plus that was a direct response to a poster railing at the thought of this game copying anything from WoW. Obviously it copied a lot from WoW. Some things it should have because copying success is usually fairly smart... if you can add your own brand of innovation to the mix. Did SWTOR do that last part, too?

Fully voiced, story-based. Maybe it did.

I said I never had to transfer, reroll or server merge in WOW. Just that.

thats cool, ive never had to xfer, reroll or server merge on swtor either, I had to reroll and xfer twice on wow so whats you point ?

Edited by Shingara

Yes and also...

WOW WAS THE FIRST MMO :)

Meridian59 was released in late 1996 and Ultima Online was released in 1997,

World of Warcraft, Release date 2004

How was WoW the 1st MMO ? an argument could even be made games like Island of Kesmai released in 1985 MUDs as they where called where the 1st mmos there defiantly the origins of them at least

Edited by Genuine

So wow launched without enough servers, swtor put up to many. influx and reduction are normal for mmos as things settle.

SWTOR didn't put up too many servers.

SWTOR servers were nicely populated past the normal launch "boom" and only started de-populating once players had completed all of the content. The problem wasn't the number of servers SWTOR put up, nor how quickly, but that it could not retain players.

SWTOR didn't put up too many servers.

SWTOR servers were nicely populated past the normal launch "boom" and only started de-populating once players had completed all of the content. The problem wasn't the number of servers SWTOR put up, nor how quickly, but that it could not retain players.

thats just wrong, what we had at early release is what we basically had when low pop xfers had been done. The merges was when they created the higher pop servers. For player retention every mmo has influx and reduction including wow so its not native to swtor only.

Edited by Shingara

No, I'm saying that the two elements plays out the same...with the only difference that the probes have less functionnality.

Of course the general idea is the same, "find something non-obvious / you cannot see using a device that helps you find it" is not new, and will generally lead to similar ideas. In fact they have implemented it in two differing ways. The first being searching for HK parts, and the other being the seeker droids. I've also seen similar concepts in Far Cry 2, InFamous, and Pokemon, just to name a few. Are you also going to suggest that they copied from WOW?

Meridian59 was released in late 1996 and Ultima Online was released in 1997,

World of Warcraft, Release date 2004

How was WoW the 1st MMO ? an argument could even be made games like Island of Kesmai released in 1985 MUDs as they where called where the 1st mmos there defiantly the origins of them at least

technically you both are wrong;

In 1974, Mazewar introduced the first graphic virtual world, providing a first-person perspective view of a maze in which players roamed around shooting at each other. It was also the first networked game, in which players at different computers could visually interact in a virtual space. The initial implementation was over a serial cable, but when one of the authors began attending MIT in 1974, the game was enhanced so that it could be played across the ARPAnet, forerunner of the modern Internet.

Will Crowther's Adventure.

You haven't lived until you've died in MUD. -- The MUD1 Slogan.

Adventure, created in 1975 by Will Crowther on a DEC PDP-10 computer, was the first widely used adventure game. The game was significantly expanded in 1976 by Don Woods. Adventure contained many D&D features and references, including a computer controlled dungeon master.

Inspired by Adventure, a group of students at MIT, in the summer of 1977 wrote a game called Zork for the PDP-10. It became quite popular on the ARPANET. Zork was ported under the name Dungeon to FORTRAN by a programmer working at DEC in 1978.

In 1978 Roy Trubshaw, a student at Essex University in the UK, started working on a multi-user adventure game in the MACRO-10 assembly language for a DEC PDP-10. He named the game MUD (Multi-User Dungeon), in tribute to the Dungeon variant of Zork, which Trubshaw had greatly enjoyed playing.Trubshaw converted MUD to BCPL (the predecessor of C), before handing over development to Richard Bartle, a fellow student at Essex University, in 1980.

MUD, better known as Essex MUD and MUD1 in later years, ran on the Essex University network until late 1987.

The popularity of MUDs of the Essex University tradition escalated in the USA during the 1980s when affordable personal computers with 300 to 2400 bit/s modems enabled role-players to log into multi-line Bulletin Board Systems and online service providers such as CompuServe. During this time it was sometimes said that MUD stands for "Multi Undergraduate Destroyer" due to their popularity among college students and the amount of time devoted to them.

Many MUDs are still active and a number of influential MMORPG designers, such as Raph Koster, Brad McQuaid,[Matt Firor, Mark Jacobs, Brian Green, and J. Todd Coleman, began as MUD developers and/or players. The history of MMORPGs grows directly out of the history of MUDs.

You have just been Sheldon-Ized.....Bahzinga

It was EAs ignorance that caused them to go F2P

I'm going to quote this because it is very important.

BW had their own engine for the game, which got scrapped because of EA's pressure on getting the game out so they adopted the half *** Hero Engine.

Also, if you played in beta, there was a lot of features that never made it to the actual game because EA kept pressuring BW to get the game out. These features included chat bubbles, a more in depth codex and legacy system, another OP aside from KP and EV, and a bunch of little stuff that they didn't have time to smooth over and get into the game before the time frame EA was pushing on them.

If EA didn't hound BW to launch the game earlier rather then giving them another few months then we might be sitting on a different game today. But EA doesn't care about quality like BW does. They care about instant revenue and they knew that a mass amount of fans will be buying this game regardless. They don't care about long term, and the game BW was aiming was for the long term.

technically you both are wrong;

In 1974, Mazewar introduced the first graphic virtual world, providing a first-person perspective view of a maze in which players roamed around shooting at each other. It was also the first networked game, in which players at different computers could visually interact in a virtual space. The initial implementation was over a serial cable, but when one of the authors began attending MIT in 1974, the game was enhanced so that it could be played across the ARPAnet, forerunner of the modern Internet.

Will Crowther's Adventure.

You haven't lived until you've died in MUD. -- The MUD1 Slogan.

Adventure, created in 1975 by Will Crowther on a DEC PDP-10 computer, was the first widely used adventure game. The game was significantly expanded in 1976 by Don Woods. Adventure contained many D&D features and references, including a computer controlled dungeon master.

Inspired by Adventure, a group of students at MIT, in the summer of 1977 wrote a game called Zork for the PDP-10. It became quite popular on the ARPANET. Zork was ported under the name Dungeon to FORTRAN by a programmer working at DEC in 1978.

In 1978 Roy Trubshaw, a student at Essex University in the UK, started working on a multi-user adventure game in the MACRO-10 assembly language for a DEC PDP-10. He named the game MUD (Multi-User Dungeon), in tribute to the Dungeon variant of Zork, which Trubshaw had greatly enjoyed playing.Trubshaw converted MUD to BCPL (the predecessor of C), before handing over development to Richard Bartle, a fellow student at Essex University, in 1980.

MUD, better known as Essex MUD and MUD1 in later years, ran on the Essex University network until late 1987.

The popularity of MUDs of the Essex University tradition escalated in the USA during the 1980s when affordable personal computers with 300 to 2400 bit/s modems enabled role-players to log into multi-line Bulletin Board Systems and online service providers such as CompuServe. During this time it was sometimes said that MUD stands for "Multi Undergraduate Destroyer" due to their popularity among college students and the amount of time devoted to them.

Many MUDs are still active and a number of influential MMORPG designers, such as Raph Koster, Brad McQuaid,[Matt Firor, Mark Jacobs, Brian Green, and J. Todd Coleman, began as MUD developers and/or players. The history of MMORPGs grows directly out of the history of MUDs.

You have just been Sheldon-Ized.....Bahzinga

i did say games like i didn't do a Google search to fined the 1st ;)