Why nerf FE?

While there are story implications to the effects of the change, I don't believe the justification for the change has anything at all to do with the story. It's a fight that has a long history of functionality issues and complaints (warranted or otherwise). Honestly the idea that a year and a half after they released this content they would go back and change the functionality of a boss encounter to address "player buzz" about the fate of the character - especially when that very thing isn't problematic in any capacity - is kind of laughable.

Being this MMO is ridiculously story based more than any other MMO on the market I'd say it is a fair argument to suggest this was done as a story telling "fix"

I, for one, welcome the change.

The theory I had? Running this FP with 55s makes the last phase of the fight tediously long. I ran this last weekend with four high level (54-55) toons and we had him down to 0% health even before he finished with the one-on-one phase. Then it took forever for him to decide to mosey down to the catwalk so we could push him off. He should have been dead about twice over by then, given how much DPS we were putting out.

I always found the knockback kill to be extremely buggy. Often Malgus would not follow the players from the stairwell even if they were out of LoS or further than 30m away. Had to literally get behind him to push him away from the stairwell, wait for CD, then push again, wait cd, then push off the edge.