Khem vs. Xalek for tanking?

Superninfreak

I've had Xalek as my tank for a while, but he hasn't been doing that well.

I'm curious if I just haven't geared him right (since I've just been giving him my hand-me-downs), or if he's not a good tank in general.

Should I work on making his gear better, or should I gear up Khem instead?

khem is a jugg and xalek is a sin but for a long long time xalek was bugged like hell.

Though I personnaly would LOVE to take around with me xalek in cool sith armors and his double bladed lightsaber around he sucks.

first khem get heavy armor, secondly khem got self healing abilities.

for some reason Xalek is extremly lame at tanking and even with full tionease tanking set he didn't do well on black hole and died alot while khem is just a boss and can solo entire groups on his own.

Is OP speaking about the better for a healer or dps sorc?

I can testify to Xalek's effectivness for a healer spec:

As stated above, Xalek was bugged in the early days (Shield didn't work. No shield-no tank.)

Now that it's fixed, keep Xalek "bubbled" and "hotted" and watch him melt stuff quick.

Send him to the strongest mob first, wait a moment, then add Force Storm and other purple force lessons.

Gear him with endurance/willpower armor with defense/shield/absorb mods and enhancements.

Someone else may contribute to the optimal stat targets.

In short, Xalek holds aggro, mitigates damage well, and has decent dps. Just let your companion buy you

time to add your own hurt.

One problem with Xalek is that his armor is his lower armor.

Xalek wears light armor, but when he has his tanking stance on, he has a buff that increases his armor by 42% which puts him little closer, but just is not enough to make his armor value anywhere near as high as that of the heavy armor using companions.

They also both have special attack called Consume Essence which deals aoe damage and heals them for small amount and the version Xalek has seems to heal for more, but this might not be enough to compensate their difference in armor.

And if you have their aoe attacks turned off, so as to not brake cc, then Khem has even more of an advantage, assuming same level of gear.

Their other special abilities seem to be same from survivability point of view.

Edited by Eternalnight

Since I'm rolling darkness tank, I've been experimenting with Xalek as a DPS: changing his stance, prioritizing willpower over endurance, etc. and so far its working just fine. But I haven't found a focus worthy of replacing his current shield, and I've had trouble figuring out which secondary stats (power,crit,surge,etc.) to prioritize. Has anyone else tried this?

They are both great companions/tanks... they hae TWO different purposes.

• Khem Val is your AOE tank, best used on multiple mobs / packs of buggers.
  • Xalek is a great single target tank but will suffer on packs.

I have them both geared campaign + rated (Khem Val had 23k HP before 2.0) and never had problems.

Still levelling my sorcerer (52) tho... marauder then sniper where first to go 55.

khem by far , I have tried all the pets to some extent and allways end up back. pulling out khem .

I'm 55 ,me being a CT. I all most have him in full 66, he's awesome geared, I can pull ten or more at once and not just weak's it can be one or two silvers, with one or two gold's, its a blast ..

Edited by tanktest

I haven't had Khem off my ship in 6 or 7 months. I'm a healer and I actually have his gear slanted towards Resolve vs Force Wielder. The mods and enhancements of everything are useful tanking stats (abs,def,shield,acc) but with using resolve hilts and armorings. I feel it gives him a lot more firepower and he keeps aggro very well. The tradeoff in total health I feel I can make up as my healing is up to snuff. With myself in full campaign/partial DG and Xalek in Black Hole gear, I was able to go through the whole Makeb storyline (finished at level 54) without asking for help. I also like that if I had a piece of light armor that I had augmented and i want to go to a new shell, Xalek will be able to use that item with a new tanking augments.

I went through a time where in some fights I preferred a dps companion and would use Ashara, but adding the extra willpower to xalek, I was happy with our combined dps.

All that being said, I know plenty of other people that go everywhere with Khem. I do prefer listening to Khem speaking in combat to Xalek. I kind of wish they'd added some new phrases to his rotation. I just might put that in the suggestion box.

I haven't had Khem off my ship in 6 or 7 months. I'm a healer and I actually have his gear slanted towards Resolve vs Force Wielder. The mods and enhancements of everything are useful tanking stats (abs,def,shield,acc) but with using resolve hilts and armorings. I feel it gives him a lot more firepower and he keeps aggro very well. The tradeoff in total health I feel I can make up as my healing is up to snuff. With myself in full campaign/partial DG and Xalek in Black Hole gear, I was able to go through the whole Makeb storyline (finished at level 54) without asking for help. I also like that if I had a piece of light armor that I had augmented and i want to go to a new shell, Xalek will be able to use that item with a new tanking augments.

I went through a time where in some fights I preferred a dps companion and would use Ashara, but adding the extra willpower to xalek, I was happy with our combined dps.

All that being said, I know plenty of other people that go everywhere with Khem. I do prefer listening to Khem speaking in combat to Xalek. I kind of wish they'd added some new phrases to his rotation. I just might put that in the suggestion box.

Really, you have khem in full resolve/force wielder mods? No wonder you preffer xalek...and yeah you should re-read wht you said because your grammer makes it seem like ur giving khem vall Willpower...a stat that to him as entirely worthless

I've had Xalek as my tank for a while, but he hasn't been doing that well.

I'm curious if I just haven't geared him right (since I've just been giving him my hand-me-downs), or if he's not a good tank in general.

Should I work on making his gear better, or should I gear up Khem instead?

You don't mention what role YOU are in, OP, but if you're rolling DPS or Heals, then, yeah, just giving him your hand-me-downs isn't very effective gear.

I'm going to assume you're one of those because if you were tanking...then why would you be running with either of them? :3

So! That assumption made: Xalek needs to be geared like a Sith Assassin tank--that means Force Wielder Armoring and Hilt (Endurance > Willpower), Shield, Absorb, and Defense Secondary stats. If it doesn't have one or more of those three secondary stats, then it's not good tank gear for him.

Lvl 55 DPS Sorc. I use Xalek in tank stance for the most part, Put a shield on him send him in and when the mobs get closer I hit them with chain lighting then lightning storm. If I have a nastier fight I'll use khem in the same way but if its going to be one of those pain in the butt mobs like Archon on makeb I'll pull out Talos to keep me healed up