Step in a great direction

skiibyrd

So if there is one thing I have learned over the past couple days in reguards to the Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion pack, its that the developers definately moving the game in the right direction. This is a summary of some of the best parts of the expansion pack that I have found so far.

Achievements - The addition of Achievements initally had me thinking this game would turn into a giant time sink, but in reality I have been finding myself playing through older content again to achieve them, and actually having fun with some of the old flashpoints, and wanting to actually roll new characters to see what achievements come with the stories.

Makeb - Makeb is probably the most beautiful planets I have seen in any MMO thus far. It has a great varity of enviorments, and is really large in size. Most of the time I am finding myself looking into the distance while on my speeder in awe of some of the great features... waterfalls, and the well done city details. I have been saying this a lot over the past couple days, but I honestly believe that makeb is the breath of 'fresh air' this game needed. Great development with the makeb enviorment makes me really hopeful of what future planets and places will look like.

Story - The stroy in the expansion pack is probably one of my favorite parts. It starts off very boldly, and has a very demanding plot that will draw your attention very easily. Never once did I find myself wanting to press spacebar, and although I was intially disappointed there would not be any individual class storylines, this was easily forgiven by the great plot to makeb. Its very fast paced, and finally makes you feel like the ultimate powerful BA you were portrayed as in the end of each class storyline.

Guild experience boost - Another one of smart moves they made in this game was finally listening to the population, and giving a 5% XP boost to people in guilds. This is finally showing the game does care about guilds, and what they offer to the game, and finally gives people more of a reason to join one. This is just the first benefit they have implemented for being in a guild, and if my understanding is correct they are working on more. As a GM of a very active PvE guild, I was very excited, and happy to have this feature, and it there has been a spike of people joining guilds to get this boost.

New skill trees, new abilities - When I first heard that they were making skill tree modifications I was excited to see what would be availiable. I am pleased to announce that the new skills and abilities look amazing, and are highly useful. I play 2 classes, and have 1 character to 55, and the other is still at 50. The marauder is my main, and I love the new lightsaber throwing ability, which gives me, finally, a little bit of a better AoE attack, and again it looks awesome. My second character is a Sorc healer, and having reviveification as an insta-cast in a game altering move, and I find myself using it way more often than I did before. I also saw that assassin tanks have a really neat new teleporting type ability that is a lot of fun. It seems like the developers are starting to understand that having fun moves and animations in the game can make a big difference.

Gear - The new gear looks great, and again, this is another step in the right direction in my opinion. The gear is more 'star wars oriented' and feels like it could actually be gear you could see in a movie, or show. Removing the lower classes of gear (tionese, columi, rakata) was a great decision, and makes the gear have a more natural flow of progression for most classes. Its also a lot easier to aquire this new gear, as they have simplified the names of the comms used for purchasing the gear, making it easier for first time MMO players to discover gear up for end game.

Overall, this was a very great experience, and I did not want to stop playing once I started. As I stated may times before, the developers have taken many of the player's advice, and put them into the game, and have developed one of the best expansion packs for any MMO to date. If the developers continue to put content like this out I have no doubt this MMO will be around for many more years to come.

Edited by skiibyrd

For 10 bucks, it's most definitely worth it. I have to agree on just about everything, except the gear.

But they put in those Sithy looking robes in the CM. So I guess I'm ok with some of the interesting armor choices. At least there isn't a swamp monster this time. However, the gear art I think is something they still need to work on.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying it mostly. Still only 52 and just got to the seeker and microbinocular quests.

The DLC has good things, yes. But many bad things, too.

And you say everything "GREAT"? Are you kiddin' us? :D

No, I'm not. You stated there are MANY bad things, but you didn't list one. Bottom line, the good greatly out weighs the bad for this expansion pack, and most of the bad I have seen are simple technical issues, or bugs that can be worked out.

I'd have rather kept my $10 and waited for a real expansion, even if it had cost more.

I had my doubts about it being worth the $10, or if it would actually be considered a true expansion pack. After playing it extensively I would be more than willing to say that this is a great expansion pack for the cost.

For 10 bucks, it's most definitely worth it. I have to agree on just about everything, except the gear.

But they put in those Sithy looking robes in the CM. So I guess I'm ok with some of the interesting armor choices. At least there isn't a swamp monster this time. However, the gear art I think is something they still need to work on.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying it mostly. Still only 52 and just got to the seeker and microbinocular quests.

The gear that looks best so far is the inquisitor gear. They have all been cloth (aside from teh swamp moster gear), but I love the new leather look of the gear, I am currently rocking the white Gree Armor set without a helm, with a blue twi'lek sorc, and it looks great. It would be nice to offer more options for scor type classes, not everyone enjoys wearing a skirt/kilt.

Achievements - The addition of Achievements initally had me thinking this game would turn into a giant time sink, but in reality I have been finding myself playing through older content again to achieve them, and actually having fun with some of the old flashpoints, and wanting to actually roll new characters to see what achievements come with the stories.

well it gets REALLY boring and old when you need to kill one boss 25 times on HM etc FOR nothing.

its a great system hands down on that but the rewards are just a joke compared to the effort some of the achievements require.

i really think they need to add other things other than the Titles and Prestige points(as the fact that you get CC one time from a FEW achievements), they need to add new NON colored armor or Items which you can only obtain through those Achievements.

i really hope some day, Sooner than later that we see someone running around with the Unique Helm, chest piece or item he got after finishing an achievement which requires a great effort.

well it gets REALLY boring and old when you need to kill one boss 25 times on HM etc FOR nothing.

Well from what I'm noticing so far is you will probably forget about some of them, then down the road, after killing one boss 25 times on HM you will get a nice little reminder of how much you have actually done in the game. Achievements in xbox live dont give you any xbox live credits or anything, but this game does offer (even if it is just a small number) of cartel coins, on some of the achievements.

Edited by skiibyrd

Gear - The new gear looks great, and again, this is another step in the right direction in my opinion. The gear is more 'star wars oriented' and feels like it could actually be gear you could see in a movie, or show. Removing the lower classes of gear (tionese, columi, rakata) was a great decision, and makes the gear have a more natural flow of progression for most classes. Its also a lot easier to aquire this new gear, as they have simplified the names of the comms used for purchasing the gear, making it easier for first time MMO players to discover gear up for end game.

I agree with everything you said execept for this. The new gear in my opinion looks horrid. They should have included a vendor who sells schematics for the shells of tionese/columi/rakata for those who actually did like the older gear. That way it makes those who wanted it happy, and those who like the new armors can use the new stuff too. Simply removing the armors was a bad move, as the old PVP armor is craftable in shells. Why does pve suffer?

I have to agree, Makeb is great stuff for the $10. What has me a little concerned for the game's longevity however is not the $10 I spent on Makeb, but how long it took for this $10 modest new story element to come out and how long it could take to ever see a real expansion released.

Edited by LeonBraun

I have to agree, Makeb is great stuff for the $10. What has me a little concerned for the game's longevity however is not the $10 I spent on Makeb, but how long it took for this $10 modest new story element to come out and how long it could take to ever see a real expansion released.

From my understanding the Makeb content was actually supposed to be the content they were hyping right before F2P was launched... if everyone remembers it was going to be free content, they actually already said the planet would be makeb and everything, and that was, from what I remember, last summer all this happened. Once they decided to go F2P, they stopped everything on Makeb, and put it on the back burner, and have been solely focused on developing the cartel market, and establishing the income they would need for a successful F2P model. Now they are finally in a position that they could resume the development of this content, and decided for marketing reasons to make it the 'first major expansion pack'... to bring in new customers, and retain some of the old ones that were considering quitting the game (most importantly trying to bring back all the customers they lost between this summer through fall)/