Dealing with snipers

loktroa

Hi I am Eafon and I am here to call a meeting of the juggs (meras are welcome as well) to talk about the sniper problem. Now I would like to avoid a QQ thread the point of this thread is to think of ways to kill snipers (or tell ways to kill snipers if you have one) as the snipers seem to be doing vary well VS juggs.

So far my employed tactics are to LoS untill they leave cover, run up on one not paying attention and force push, or pray they dont target me.

They have gotten smart. the engi sniper are utilizing that roll very well. From what I see they wil KB you until you get to them, stun you with plasma probe and roll away.

Force push is our biggest counter along with LoS, however is they have entrench up, Force push is null.

Lastly, wait for either thier amsuh or cull and pop saber reflect fir some lulz. I crit a sniper yesterday for 8.5k then 7k as he used ambush followed by a takedown on my saber reflect.

Hi,

I main on my sniper, I hope my advice can help.

For any spec don't engage when they have entrench up.

MM snipers should be the easiest to kill, as people said LOS them and wait for the to leave cover.

For lethality make sure to interrupt their cull.

I wouldn't engage an engi at all. Whenever I play engi I tend to do well against juggs. They open with a slow then stun followed by ep and SoS will wreck you (usually the majority of the damage will be done while your stunned in their plasma probe).

Save cooldowns for ambush, SoS, and cull- except for an engi pop cds when they put the shock probe on you.

Also don't stand in their orbital strikes, that's a guaranteed lose for you, just disengage if you can.

Hi there, I main a gunslinger and have a 50 sniper. I'm going to assume you all asked know the current LoS, push/leap combo.

Saber Reflect is your best friend against us. Be sure you don't use it arbitrarily. Ill give specific advice for each spec.

1. Marksman - there is a rotation we use for this spec, however, we can start the rotation at any point within if needed. What most of us try to do is set up our 1.5 second Ambush. Reflect this sheeeit! If you are below 30% health get ready to reflect.

2. Sabotage - reflect series of shots. It is going to be tough to judge when/what the will do next with everything else going on around you.

3. Dirty Fighting - reflect Wounding Shots. If you you reflect this /golfclap you just killed their rotation and should be close enough to push/jump.

• 2 weeks later...

You dont have much chances against a Sniper...You cant Charge because they are in Cover, they put you slow when u try touch him, when u almost touch him they roll away and Cover again...and then he gonna start same **** until u are dead.

The stupid roll hability needs a CD, we have spell reflect for 3 sec and 1 min CD -.-'

Edited by chaosmadness

I'm not sure what the discussion is here. I crush snipers. Vengeance spec.

Maybe there are no good ones on POT5. orrrrrrr... L2P?

In a warzone its not all about numbers, kids.

Snipers are at a disadvantage is most warzone objectives because of cover. Be aware, make it a nightmare for them to target you. If you're caught in the open you deserve to die. There is always cover if you pay attention. Otherwise get the jump on them - also easy. Snipers tend to get excited at the idea of someone in the open so watch for it.

On my ranked team we mark healers, snipers and tanks for a reason.

Well, seems u are a pro player..

So, explain how u face a Sniper in a 1vs1.

And how u jump to them if they are in Cover ?!

You dont have much chances against a Sniper...You cant Charge because they are in Cover, they put you slow when u try touch him, when u almost touch him they roll away and Cover again...and then he gonna start same **** until u are dead.

The stupid roll hability needs a CD, we have spell reflect for 3 sec and 1 min CD -.-'

actually the sniper roll has a 20 sec cooldown, its the operative roll that doesnt have a cool down

actually the sniper roll has a 20 sec cooldown, its the operative roll that doesnt have a cool down

But continues be a problem, they roll and cover and u cant charge, they are always hitting and jugg not.

I think we could charge them after they use roll.

Edited by chaosmadness

i understand that it suxs that you have a problem with them, but every class should have a hard counter and snipers are your hard counter, just like in 1.7 on my mando if i was jumped by a warrior i was pretty much dead or how on my assiasin i will pretty much kill any sniper or slinger i find

Actually you have a really small time interval to charge snipers when they use the roll.

and just wait til entrench is over and knock them out of cover, or los them. I play a marksman sniper and if you los me i cant kill you, or just go and kill everybody else in the wz. I know on my sniper im usally trying to find the healers first anyway so im not even targeting you until they are dead

On Dealing With Snipers, here are the tips i have to offer:

Saber Reflect- Use this in the right spot and you can rly screw a sniper over, especially if they don't recognize and continue attacking. The good snipers will recognize and will probably use their sab charge instead of attacking you directly, but you can still almost guarantee 1 or 2 reflects before they notice which is an incredible advantage in a 1v1 considering its no damage done to you and extra damage to them.

*note that reflecting a MM sniper's ambush will still result in you getting knocked back. (this is not the case if you parry it.)

Saber Ward- Incredibly helpful depending on their spec. Yeah its on a long CD, but if you know you'll be in a 1v1 situation with a sniper, especially MM spec, you'd better have this up. Don't just pop it at the beginning of the fight either. Make use of the fact that Guardians get 2 seconds of 100% melee and ranged defense when you first pop Saber Ward. If well timed, you can guarantee a successful defense on whatever attack you choose. I tend to pop this right before they finish their ambush cast as a MM sniper will chase it with followthrough immediately after, so that will be parried as well. Other than that, it will provide a constant 50% deflect chance and 25% damage reduction for the shots that do get through your defense, so its worth having up. *edit- the 25% damage reduction only applies to force and tech damage, so any shots that don't get defended will do full damage.

Cybertech Grenade- The one thing they don't see coming. I've got the reusable ones so i don't mind tossing them out for the sole purpose of pulling a sniper out of cover when i'm at 10+ meters. The grenade has a 10 meter range, but with a 5 meter radius it will still stun a sniper 15 meters away from you. I like to toss the grenade on them after they've used their aoe knockback. just be sure you're not rooted when you toss it, otherwise they'll break and be back in cover before you can force leap to them.

Force Push- Pretty obvious cd here. its pretty much free damage while you push, then leap to them. Be careful adding in saber throw, because the good snipers will use their break-stun immediately after your push and be back in cover before you can leap. Then you're screwed. They can't do this if you jump right after the push (i think).

Force Stasis- this is rly just a 3 second delay to the fight, but used at the right time, can be helpful. don't use if saber ward or saber reflect are active as it would just waste them.

Most snipers are beatable, once you fight a few of them and get the hang of it. its the good snipers you have to worry about. theres like some 5% of snipers out their who truly know their class and they will stomp your *** no matter what you do. you will not beat them as a guardian.

altogether not a very good guide on the 1v1, just some advice.

Edited by Johhnydu

On Dealing With Snipers, here are the tips i have to offer:

Saber Reflect- Use this in the right spot and you can rly screw a sniper over, especially if they don't recognize and continue attacking. The good snipers will recognize and will probably use their sab charge instead of attacking you directly, but you can still almost guarantee 1 or 2 reflects before they notice which is an incredible advantage in a 1v1 considering its no damage done to you and extra damage to them.

*note that reflecting a MM sniper's ambush will still result in you getting knocked back. (this is not the case if you parry it.)

Saber Ward- Incredibly helpful depending on their spec. Yeah its on a long CD, but if you know you'll be in a 1v1 situation with a sniper, especially MM spec, you'd better have this up. Don't just pop it at the beginning of the fight either. Make use of the fact that Guardians get 2 seconds of 100% melee and ranged defense when you first pop Saber Ward. If well timed, you can guarantee a successful defense on whatever attack you choose. I tend to pop this right before they finish their ambush cast as a MM sniper will chase it with followthrough immediately after, so that will be parried as well. Other than that, it will provide a constant 50% deflect chance and 25% damage reduction for the shots that do get through your defense, so its worth having up.

Cybertech Grenade- The one thing they don't see coming. I've got the reusable ones so i don't mind tossing them out for the sole purpose of pulling a sniper out of cover when i'm at 10+ meters. The grenade has a 10 meter range, but with a 5 meter radius it will still stun a sniper 15 meters away from you. I like to toss the grenade on them after they've used their aoe knockback. just be sure you're not rooted when you toss it, otherwise they'll break and be back in cover before you can force leap to them.

Force Push- Pretty obvious cd here. its pretty much free damage while you push, then leap to them. Be careful adding in saber throw, because the good snipers will use their break-stun immediately after your push and be back in cover before you can leap. Then you're screwed. They can't do this if you jump right after the push (i think).

Force Stasis- this is rly just a 3 second delay to the fight, but used at the right time, can be helpful. don't use if saber ward or saber reflect are active as it would just waste them.

Most snipers are beatable, once you fight a few of them and get the hang of it. its the good snipers you have to worry about. theres like some 5% of snipers out their who truly know their class and they will stomp your *** no matter what you do. you will not beat them as a guardian.

altogether not a very good guide on the 1v1, just some advice.

On the contrary, this was a damn good post. Unlike some others who chose to reply with condescension, you on the other hand made some excellent points. The forums need more people such as yourself. Keep up the good work.

If you play on prophecy of the 5, add me up.

I'm curious.. what class ***** on Snipers.?? I've got to be honest, I have a Jugg and a Mara and I'm thoroughly sick of them.

I'm told shadows are their hard-counter, but then i have a slinger friend who says he poops on shadows.. so idk.

A sniper can poop on a shadow if he catches him unaware sure... but in 1v1 a decent shadow or assassin can borderline humiliate snipers. So either he's not talking about 1v1 or there are just some really bad shadows where you play.

It's tougher now than it used to be but I can't recall ever losing to a sniper 1v1 on a shadow/assassin. (not saying its never happened just can't recall).

This isn't really the thread to discuss it but I eat snipers and slingers for lunch on my shadows and assassins. Any spec really (both for assassin or sniper). Sins have so many tools to make a snipers job hell. Utilizing LoS along with those tools means you should finish any 1v1 with a sniper without taking much damage unless they are just kiting and using instants, but if they do that and you chase them like a doofus without a plan you deserve death.

In general for warriors beating snipers comes down to making them uncomfortable or praying you can out dps them somehow head on (wont happen with a good sniper often). Just because you are melee doesn't mean you shouldn't keep your distance and wait for the right time to strike. Assuming you have something to hide behind. I've lured countless snipers into dropping cover because they want to chase me and get a kill, at which point as a warrior you can very quickly turn the fight around. The unfortunate part of it is though that snipers are anti-leapers, so warriors can really struggle against a well played sniper in 1v1.

Edited by Mordeguy