Bolster.. is it really broken?

Floplag

I mean aside from the whole nekkid thing which anyone with a brain realized was never intended and will/should be fixed, is it really broken?

Think about it... i guess it comes down to what people really want in PvP, basically there are 2 choices:

Gear dependent results

or

Skill dependent results.

Gear dependent results speak for themselves, he who has the better gear typically wins... simple enough, which is also how this and virtually every other game was done its PvP. Make the min maxers grind so they can win without really trying making the grind the point of it all.

Skill dependent PvP takes gear out of the mix, makes it more about who plays the fight better... i would think any real PvPer would pray for this. The point of PvP shifts away from the grind, onto knowing your class and doing the right things at the right time.

Personally i find all the complaining about bolster hilariously funny and the tears of the min/max crowd are so delicious. So many of them are being outed for what they are.. lesser players in better gear that probably got carried by their guilds to get what they have.

The really good ones, are still good regardless of gear, bolster, or anything else. The rest of you with all the QQ... i say exactly what you have said to soooo many others over the years, L2P and ****. If you were half as good as you thought you are, you would welcome this.

Without the gear grind at end-game, PvP is basically a glorified mini-game, not an actual facet of ToR itself. If you took away the 'carrot' as everyone has been calling it, you would have nothing to work for. It would just be playing the same 5 maps over and over for absolutely no benefit.

No, I don't think that gear should be a deciding factor, but even before the patch, people in recruit gear could own EWH teams who were relying only on their gear to carry them to glory.

Without the gear grind at end-game, PvP is basically a glorified mini-game, not an actual facet of ToR itself. If you took away the 'carrot' as everyone has been calling it, you would have nothing to work for. It would just be playing the same 5 maps over and over for absolutely no benefit.

No, I don't think that gear should be a deciding factor, but even before the patch, people in recruit gear could own EWH teams who were relying only on their gear to carry them to glory.

Look dont get me wrong, im not saying that there shouldn't be a gear grind or something to work for, that's not my point, and its also not what most people are complaining about in regard to bolster either.

Should gear matter... perhaps, but only slightly or as more of a cosmetic benefit more than being an "i win" button. Gear being the deciding factor should never be the case.

Well a rewards don't hurt. But I'd like to see a system with purely aesthetic and prestige based rewards. I remember in guild wars there was no difference in stats between the most basic level 20 armour and the armour that took hundreds of hours to grind.

I'd much rather see a PvP system in which the best players are the ones who have spent the most time seriously practicing and studying builds rather that the player who simply have the time to grind the best gear. Although they won't admit it I think even the hardcore grinders will enjoy this kind of system more. When they beat someone they can think "I beat them because I was the more skilled combatant in this engagement" rather than "I beat him, but then again I have much better gear. He must have a full time job or something."

Edited by Nikanj

Well a rewards don't hurt. But I'd like to see a system with purely aesthetic and prestige based rewards. I remember in guild wars there was no difference in stats between the most basic level 20 armour and the armour that took hundreds of hours to grind.

I'd much rather see a PvP system in which the best players are the ones who have spent the most time seriously practicing and studying builds rather that the player who simply have the time to grind the best gear. Although they won't admit it I think even the hardcore grinders will enjoy this kind of system more. When they beat someone they can think "I beat them because I was the more skilled combatant in this engagement" rather than "I beat him, but then again I have much better gear. He must have a full time job or something."

this is probably why guild wars is a bad game and nobody plays it.

The problem is, if gear doesn't matter, then why is the reward *gear*?

So yes gear (ie reward) is supposed to matter, yes its broken.

....or the reward should be something else, cosmetic upgrades or something that has more status... gear for gear sake, that's your argument?

Either way, the bolster system of balancing the playing field is exactly what it should do, and any PvPer with any balls at all should want that.

The problem is, if gear doesn't matter, then why is the reward *gear*?

So yes gear (ie reward) is supposed to matter, yes its broken.

This right here. What's the point of even having pvp gear if its worthless? That's right, there isn't one. MMO pvp has always been gear based first and skill second (the last mmo I played that was skilled pvp only was pre-blackthorn UO, and I don't think anyone here has the stomach for that), and at the moment it still is. You just need to get pve gear as opposed to pvp for the massive stat increases. I don't like pve, I like pvp - which is why the pvp gear appealed to me.

I'd prefer to see it come back, however ONE of the the things (Bolster or pvp gear) needs to be removed, because with bolster the level 55 pvp gear is entirely worthless.

I think things like this are why they probably gave pre-orders a week of early access. Hopefully it'll be fixed one way or another before the 14th.

if bloster will be working like now i want to buy pve gear for wz commendation, its give more stats and expertise than pvp gear. so if im only pvp player i have to do operations to get better gear \o/ and some of you trying to tell me thats not a bug! OMG.

bloster at lvl 55 should be removed and thats all in this case, i dont enjoy to facing naked team in wz or mixed with pve endgame (ultimeate or sometginh whos are better than my pvp). Its like kick in the balls.

like i said: bloster same like now = let me buy pve gear for commendation.

if bloster will be working like now i want to buy pve gear for wz commendation, its give more stats and expertise than pvp gear. so if im only pvp player i have to do operations to get better gear \o/ and some of you trying to tell me thats not a bug! OMG.

bloster at lvl 55 should be removed and thats all in this case, i dont enjoy to facing naked team in wz or mixed with pve endgame (ultimeate or sometginh whos are better than my pvp). Its like kick in the balls.

like i said: bloster same like now = let me buy pve gear for commendation.

They have said PvP gear will be the best gear at 55 for PvP. So yes, it's broken right now and a known issue that they are fixing. Bolster as it stands now in the pre-55 levels is fine, they just need to fix war hero gear in PvP (which is supposed to happen tuesday). The goal of bolster is to shorten the gap between non-geared and completely geared players, not close it completely.

The changes to PvP in 2.0 have me all sorts of confused and whatever bugs there are, are not helping.

I'm still only 53 and I have been suiting up with my mix of WH/Recruit gear and wondering why my stats seem lower and my heals feel underpowered. I began looking around at other players and what they were wearing and most of them were in PvE gear, yet their stats looked much better. So I switched to my mix of BH/Rakata and I became unstoppable.

Maybe this is intended, IDK. It just seems counter-intuitive to me. The worst part is that BW really doesn't help by making this information known to the casual player. It's like some secret that you have to go hunting around the forums for answers. When I go to play PvP I naturally expect to where PvP gear.

The changes to PvP in 2.0 have me all sorts of confused and whatever bugs there are, are not helping.

I'm still only 53 and I have been suiting up with my mix of WH/Recruit gear and wondering why my stats seem lower and my heals feel underpowered. I began looking around at other players and what they were wearing and most of them were in PvE gear, yet their stats looked much better. So I switched to my mix of BH/Rakata and I became unstoppable.

Maybe this is intended, IDK. It just seems counter-intuitive to me. The worst part is that BW really doesn't help by making this information known to the casual player. It's like some secret that you have to go hunting around the forums for answers. When I go to play PvP I naturally expect to where PvP gear.

It's a bug that came in at 2.0 and will be fixed on tuesday. The issue and how to deal with it isn't exactly a secret. All you had to do was ask anyone in the warzone or in general chat about why your stats are poor while wearing WH gear.