Mercenary Arsenal/Pyro DPS Guide 2.x (PVE) by ODawgg

odawgg

Question regarding rotation:

If Barrage fails to proc before Unload comes of its natural CD, do you use Unload anyway? Or keep TMing until barrage procs? I notice when I do the latter I run into heat issues pretty quickly.

Also, boss fight permitting, is it better to use TSO+DFA than TSO+FM?

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Unload when its available, even without the proc. Keeping TMing until barrage procs will hurt your dps much more since you end up using rapid shots.

But the thing is, if Unload comes off cd without proc your dps is fu**ed anyway, at least on the dummy. You need continud procs of Curtain of Fire for sustainable max dps beyond 2900. If you get unlucky with half a minute wihout procs (and thats possible on the dummy) nothing you can do will save your dps.

In a boss fight you'll do more TMs anyway, so its not that much of an issue there.

I use TSO+FM, its quicker than placing DFA and the tank cant pull the boss out of its range.

Question regarding rotation:

If Barrage fails to proc before Unload comes of its natural CD, do you use Unload anyway? Or keep TMing until barrage procs? I notice when I do the latter I run into heat issues pretty quickly.

Also, boss fight permitting, is it better to use TSO+DFA than TSO+FM?

I also use unload on cd regardless of if barrage is proc'd...There's an option in Keren's simulator to test both ways and according to it, it doesn't matter dps-wise if you keep trying to proc it or not so to make heat mgmt easier I figure just use it on cd regardless of proc.

You can use TSO with DFA if you like, a lot of people also use it with unload. Both options are ok and are nice for heat management, however if you're trying to push absolute max dps, it's better to use it with FM. DFA, although is front loaded with 25 heat is actually decently heat efficient already, whereas FM definitely is not. FM is also significantly higher dps ability than DFA (for single target I mean) when you factor in the DoT but only worth using with TSO.

Edited by odawgg

How long are you planning to use the old setbonus?

Good question :) I definitely will test out the new one with this tier, but I am predicting Keren's simulator is correct in showing the old and new will be pretty even, giving me no reason to use the new one :(

Just wanted to say to the op thanks for the awesome guide, and you're mercs name has win written all over it.

Thank you :) and you're welcome.

I have some updating to do for the new gear!

You can use TSO with DFA if you like, a lot of people also use it with unload. Both options are ok and are nice for heat management, however if you're trying to push absolute max dps, it's better to use it with FM. DFA, although is front loaded with 25 heat is actually decently heat efficient already, whereas FM definitely is not. FM is also significantly higher dps ability than DFA (for single target I mean) when you factor in the DoT but only worth using with TSO.

To be entirely honest using TSO on Unload is a waste and you shouldn't tell anyone that it's good use of the ability.

I just came here to say I like your guide and apart from writing my own tips it's the first referral I give when I get questions about Mers.

Although you could expand on advanced overheating (for all those fights with pauses), maximising Vent Heat and using Fusion Missile before any prolonged movement (eg. Doom @ DG) ... if you like to get more into advanced territory that is

Another thing I notice a lot and which can't be said enough times:

Power Surge is not a DPS Cooldown if you're not moving - using it while standing still does nothing for you unless your Vent Heat buff is running and you'd drop below zero without gaining immidiate heat.

On Relics I'm still quit undecided about Boundless Ages vs. Cerrulean Nova. SA is pretty obvious though.

snip

On Relics I'm still quit undecided about Boundless Ages vs. Cerrulean Nova. SA is pretty obvious though.

I would say Boundless Ages untill they fix the Power & Damage effect procs in next patch, after that Cerulean Nova & SA are BiS

Good question :) I definitely will test out the new one with this tier, but I am predicting Keren's simulator is correct in showing the old and new will be pretty even, giving me no reason to use the new one :(

[/Quote] Hm, i've played exclusively with the new bonus for many weeks. I tried the old one today and had a hard time to get dps up to my previous standard. Its much easier, no question and i havent tested it in a actual fight yet but to me it looks like its at least 50 dps less with my playstyle and skill.

To be entirely honest using TSO on Unload is a waste and you shouldn't tell anyone that it's good use of the ability.

I just came here to say I like your guide and apart from writing my own tips it's the first referral I give when I get questions about Mers.

Although you could expand on advanced overheating (for all those fights with pauses), maximising Vent Heat and using Fusion Missile before any prolonged movement (eg. Doom @ DG) ... if you like to get more into advanced territory that is

Another thing I notice a lot and which can't be said enough times:

Power Surge is not a DPS Cooldown if you're not moving - using it while standing still does nothing for you unless your Vent Heat buff is running and you'd drop below zero without gaining immidiate heat.

Hey there, thanks for posting your thoughts and I'm glad you recommend it to others. I always like hearing what people would like to see in the guide...as it is and always will be a compillation of the entire community's ideas and findings.

I agree, there's a million things I'd like to add to it. I'd really like to get into more 'advanced tactics' and individual fight sections. The main problem is just free time, I still have a few sections that remain completely empty and would like to knock those out first. My time table right now is to dive into it in more detail after this next progression cycle since my attention will be pretty focused on that for a week or two.

Regarding power surge, I went into some detail on the usage of it near the beginning of the thread: Power Surge Usage but I could probably put more emphasis in the guide itself as well.

When it comes to TSO usage, and other minor techniques that involve heat management, I try to be a little open minded in telling players what to do. Keeping in mind different playstyles and that heat management comes easier to some than others. Cuz honestly, for some players, using TSO with a 3s cast IS a dps increase due to other heat inefficiences. But ALWAYS before I say anything is 'ok' I run it through Keren's Simulator and at least make sure the dps loss will not be significant, and inform them of the best option in terms of dps output.

As much as I'd like them to, I've come to realize that not every player in this game is trying to squeeze every single dps out, some will sacrafice that 1% extra dps for QoL and even though it's against my own morals :D I let some things slide hehe. I'll run the TSO+Unload through the simulator after work, I recall testing it a while back and it wasn't much of a loss (on single target) but I'll double check...afterall it only comes off cd every 2 minutes.

Please post any more ideas for the guide any time.

I would say Boundless Ages untill they fix the Power & Damage effect procs in next patch, after that Cerulean Nova & SA are BiS

There's definitely a place for all 3....I'm actually leaning toward BA for more control, it's nice for burst and AoE situations. Then again, the lazy side of me says go with SA+CN ftw :)

Edited by odawgg

Hm, i've played exclusively with the new bonus for many weeks. I tried the old one today and had a hard time to get dps up to my previous standard. Its much easier, no question and i havent tested it in a actual fight yet but to me it looks like its at least 50 dps less with my playstyle and skill.

I saw little to none noticeable difference when I originally tested it, however it did take some time to transition back to the old 4pc and get my groove back. I say just stick with what is getting you better deeps :)

I see with your latest parse you are using 331 crit rating. Is all power still optimal, or do you now recommend some crit?

It's just that the 75 gear I've gotten so far has been mostly crit, a shadowed earpiece/OH and KD boots/helm...all crit...it's better than 72 power pieces....I won't be optimal until several weeks of doing SV NiM but it is what it is. I think optimal crit when 'full' Kell Dragon gear will be in the low 200 range.

It's just that the 75 gear I've gotten so far has been mostly crit, a shadowed earpiece/OH and KD boots/helm...all crit...it's better than 72 power pieces....I won't be optimal until several weeks of doing SV NiM but it is what it is. I think optimal crit when 'full' Kell Dragon gear will be in the low 200 range.

Alright so full 72 gear optimal crit rating is still 0-100?

Don't know if it's been asked before (I don't want to read through 17 pages :/), but is unload worth using without the barrage proc? Since barrage resets the cd on unload we wouldn't miss out on that, but does unload actually have enough damage without proc to worth using it?

Don't know if it's been asked before (I don't want to read through 17 pages :/), but is unload worth using without the barrage proc? Since barrage resets the cd on unload we wouldn't miss out on that, but does unload actually have enough damage without proc to worth using it?

I've always used it regardless of proc, when i run it through Keren's simulator for both options it shows an even output so I'm not sure that it matters...I would just use it regardless, nice for heat

ok I'm going to ask a really really dumb question. Is there a way to tell what the number of heat I'm up to is without mousing over the bar? For instance, is there a way to tell exactly that I'm at 40 heat or 20 ect... with our mousing over the bar?

ok I'm going to ask a really really dumb question. Is there a way to tell what the number of heat I'm up to is without mousing over the bar? For instance, is there a way to tell exactly that I'm at 40 heat or 20 ect... with our mousing over the bar?

Not dumb question :) but yes there is...ummm it's been a while but I think you open your interface editor, click on your character bar thingy...there's an option int here for like "show information text" or something of that nature...it will make it so you can see percentages on heat and health

Finally got around to making some updates:

- Updated for Kell Dragon Gear

- Added in a note for how to use DFA on single targets

- Specified a little more on Power Surge usage

I need to get together my NiM parses, coming soon.

Edited by odawgg

This sounds a little arrogant of me to say this, but it appears that your BIS spreadsheet is flawed. The numbers don't add up. Your crit total on the side states that you have 240 crit rating, but on the spreadsheet there is 0 crit rating. Everything is power/surge power/accuracy. Also, the armorings you have placed there are the Underworld armorings, not Dread Guard. The stats are correct, just not the names.

Also, I've been using PS+TM and then TSO+FM followed by EN for an opener, with the exception of fights like Dash'rhode in S/V. Opinion?

Edited by AwkwardGinger

The armorings may be just a mistake.

Also, he may be just posting the pure power build. There are different ways to build your gear set, and 240 crit or Pure Power are two ways. At least for now that is. Again, I'm sure there is some specific reason so don't be too hasty.