Info on Sentinel

So I plan on making a sentinel at some point (After I make the guardian, Sorceress, and Marauder). And want some general info on them, since i haven't been played one for a long time.

the idea is to make him kind of the son of a traitorous Mandalorian who left his people, clan Ordo, to help fight the evils of the empire, so I figured the jedi sentinel made a lot of sense for the "hate his own people" idea.

Pure damage with pretty good utility and Solo potential.

Watchman is DOT based/heavy, Combat is Proc based for a big hit, and Focus is 1 skill wonder tree. Their defensive CDs are among the best in the game, especially for a pure damage class.

Pure damage with pretty good utility and Solo potential.

Watchman is DOT based/heavy, Combat is Proc based for a big hit, and Focus is 1 skill wonder tree. Their defensive CDs are among the best in the game, especially for a pure damage class.

So to get a tad bit more specific, how is the solo potential, generally?

Sentinel soloing is a bit tougher than Marauder, because you get your healing companion later on. Otherwise, it's the same. Watchman is one of the best soloing specs especially with a healer. Blast through the content with ease, and even solo some of the heroics if you're good.

So to get a tad bit more specific, how is the solo potential, generally?

Rather good, altough it depends, on situation and level. For example, as knight you have to wait long for healer companion, so for part of game you'll be racing with mobs who kills who first. But after you get healer, you can handle almost anything, as long as you pick proper spec for occasion. Jumping into 10 mobs with anything other than focus is likely to get you killed, but focus makes it easy. Mob with average health but high damage is food for combat, selfhealing from watchman can help with any high health mob with not too high damage.., despite numerous nerfs.

But if you try to take big group of mobs as watchman, you'll get hard times, etc. Also, unlike sage/sorc with numerous slows/heals/cc, sent can't try to 'salvage' encounter by kiting and healing. Melee class, do or die. But in most cases, if something is soloable, you can solo it with sentinel.

Soloing can be rough early on, especially below level 20, since we don't get a lot of our best tools until later than a lot of other classes. It doesn't help that we don't get our healer companion until our mid-30s.

As mentioned above, Watchmen becomes solid after about level 20, when you actually get your DOT abilities. After 40, all three are very powerful, with Watchman and Combat being particularly strong (for PVE at least. Focus is more of PVP spec). Once we get all our key abilities, we become one of the top damage-dealing classes, and on top of that, our defensive cooldowns are some of the best in the game.

I decided to try sentinel instead of my usual plan. Any insight on companions and which one i should use more would be appreciated.

Some companion related spoilers below:

For companions: you get T7 first, and he's a ranged tank. You'll be stuck using him for a while whether you want to or not.

Once you get off Coruscant, you'll get Kira, a melee dps. Generally, you will have an easier time using Kira to kill things faster rather than T7's rather mediocre tanking ability.

You will get Doc, your healer, in your mid-30s. Using him gives you vastly more survivability, and you'll probably want to use him for all the boss fights. Once I got him, he quickly became my most used companion.

You will also get a ranged dps and melee tank later on, but I've never really found a reason to use them.

• 3 weeks later...

The rakghoul black green ones are what I use. :p

I think blue is inline with the lore IIRC. And yes I would (and do) do wth the Artifice/Archeology/Treasure Hunt crew skill combo. You are able to build your own hilts which is crucial for Sentinels/Marauders.

thanks for the info, now just for fun, which color would make more sense for the Sentinel (Ignoring the fact that all crystals are the same besides the color) and should I use Artifice/Archaeology/treasure hunting crew skill combo?

Well class quest saber rewards have blue/white blades. Just like Obi-Wan's saber. So my guess is that's canon. Green for Consulars and blue for Knights.

My Sentinel who just got to 35 now has 2 orange Crystals in her sabers.

Green for Consulars and blue for Knights.

Close! Following the KOTOR crystal designations Consulars took Green crystals, Guardians took Blue and Sentinels took yellow.

Moreover, following canon, the padawan had to be drawn to the focusing crystal by the Force itself, leaving the color they retrieved to the guidance of the Force. So it's really more of a personal flair.

Speaking of personal, I much prefer Silver sabers. Wish we could get a pure silver. Would make me happy.

Take your ship droid and give him t7's gear for levelling. He makes a decent healer, though he doesn't do damage on your opponents, since he can't use any weapon (although the slot is there). But as sentinel you're doing enough damage on your own. It's a much more forgiving play style for levelling then going with t7. Though t7 is a very good teacher for the role you'll be playing in flashpoints and operations later, if that's what you're aiming for...

Close! Following the KOTOR crystal designations Consulars took Green crystals, Guardians took Blue and Sentinels took yellow.

Moreover, following canon, the padawan had to be drawn to the focusing crystal by the Force itself, leaving the color they retrieved to the guidance of the Force. So it's really more of a personal flair.

Speaking of personal, I much prefer Silver sabers. Wish we could get a pure silver. Would make me happy.

Been looking in the GTN at the color Crystals. And I think my final color choice will be either Silver-Blue or Blue-Cyan. They look awesome. :)